Old 03-27-2012, 07:54 AM   #15
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
I use this one linked to here. It holds both the trailer and suv keys. It also is in plain site when you pull open the 30 amp chord holder. This fits nicely right in the center area. Just use come good stainless steel screws.
Amazon.com: Master Lock 5401D Select Access Wall-Mounted Key Storage Box with Set-Your-Own Combination Lock: Home Improvement

AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:05 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
I carry one set, and my wife has the other. Nobody steps outside the truck or trailer without their keys in their pocket.
That's how we do it.

Nancy Mac

Old 03-27-2012, 08:12 AM   #17
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Ford trucks have a nice option... a keypad that lets you unlock the truck with a code. That gives the option of storing a set of trailer keys somewhere in the cab of the locked truck, always accessible"............

^^^this^^^

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #18

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
When Lucy is out on an Airstream adventure, SuEllyn and I each carry sets of keys for Lucy and the tow vehicle in use. Additionally, I carry a second tow vehicle key in my other pants pocket. There is also a complete set of Lucy keys secreted somewhere on Lucy's body. Our tow vehicles also have an exterior hidden key. We are determined never to be locked out or stranded.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #19
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
DW control's the key's to all things pleasurable, I have never been "locked" out.........of Cloudsplitter.
Keep it safe, sane, and consensual.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #20
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by samb View Post
In my walks along the roads I have found more rusty keys in little magnetic boxes on the roadside than can be counted.....................
Sam
That's the biggest problem with them. I know someone who uses them all the time and occasionally they fall off when going over a bump or something.

At times I have used, as an alternative, wire ties. I choose a small enough one that I can break it without tools if necessary. It limits placement but you can put them on a brake line up in the frame rail or someplace else where no one is going to look.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
galvanized wire ties are good. My husband is a locksmith. He can open anything! The aerial of our vans are bent in such a way that he can open a vehicle in an emergency with one in about half a second if he does not have his picks with him.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
just let the dog watch them for you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0017xbga.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	154422  
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatiero View Post
galvanized wire ties are good. My husband is a locksmith. He can open anything! The aerial of our vans are bent in such a way that he can open a vehicle in an emergency with one in about half a second if he does not have his picks with him.
I was a locksmith in my long-ago profession, so checking for keys in my pocket is automatic as I go out the door. I have two complete sets of moho keys and bring two sets of keys for the toad, can't remember the last time, if ever, I was locked out of something. The orginal owner of my rig installed a little combo locking vault inside an unlocked compartment but I never got the combo from him, may replace it some time.

It is a different issue with most women: clothing designers (?) make no-pockets clothes and my wife doesn't like to carry a purse around the camp site, especially at a rally when we have people to visit, drinks to hold, food to consume, etc. so she has been getting a few new pieces from ScotteVest, now has to remember which of the 13 or 20 pockets the keys are in.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:48 PM   #24
Noob

2009 22' Sport
Columbus , Texas
I keep spare keys in a safe place. So safe, I've forgotten where that is.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #25
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
on not getting locked out

among our last seven or eight Ford cars and trucks, we've ordered each of them with the drivers side keypad!

short of a complete battery failure, we'll never be locked out!

oh, and we do always travel with at least two sets of keys for the TV and the TT.

best,

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

http://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #26
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Too many keys means too many chances for someone else to get their hands on them. When I travel, I carry ONE set of keys. That set is either in the ignition when I'm driving or clipped to a belt loop and tucked into a pants pocket when I'm parked.

Since it has been more than twenty years since I've locked myself out of home or vehicle, it seems to work well enough for me. If I ever do lock myself out, I can call my landlord to get into my home, or call AAA to get me into my vehicle (I have an Airstream Interstate class B, so it falls in the vehicle category).

If you MUST carry spare keys outside the vehicle or trailer, then just hide ONE key, not a whole set; a door key that will give you access to the rest of the keys that are stored inside the trailer. One of the most secure ways to hide a key is to wrap the key in Saran Wrap, then duct-tape it where you want to hide it. The Saran Wrap keeps the key from getting gummed up with adhesive. You can further disguise the key by sandwiching it between two pieces of cardboard before wrapping it in Saran Wrap to hide its shape, and orienting it so it's completely covered by the duct tape, nothing sticking out.

A couple of decent places to duct-tape a key on your trailer are: inside surface of the propane bottle cover; on the underside of a folding step; inside the door to your dump valves (or inside the access door to any external hookups, for that matter); on the roof next to a vent or your AC if you don't mind borrowing a ladder to get at your key.

On the tow vehicle, your options are more limited, since it pretty much has to be on the underside of the vehicle, but not under the bumpers. Even there, though, you're better off with duct tape than one of those chintzy magnetic boxes.

And another handy hint for RVers, you can do the same thing with a traveler's check, so you always have emergency funds even if you're separated from your wallet/purse.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
^^^this^^^

Shane
me too. I never thought i would use the keypad....I use it all of the time!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Flora Vista , New Mexico
Why not on the inside of the blackwater drain cap; assuming you arent hooked up at a resort. Who would want to go diving in there? haha. Also maybe under your battery. Inconvenient but that may be enough. Keys keep honest people honest. Those that want in bad enough will not be stopped by a key. The idea of a lock box in an accessible spot is a good one. those little boxes on buildings in many cities are Knox Boxes that have building keys for the structures they are on for fire deparment use. I am surprised that airstream or somebody hasnt made a keyless entry to put in aftermarket.