Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2015, 07:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Going to Jackson, Wyoming? Stop HERE!

If you are going to Jackson, Wyoming, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and beyond. Here is a location to take a day or two day rest. If you have children they will love the hot spring water supplied pool. Why... even parents might want to hop into this hot spring. Someone might want to fly fish Granite Creek.

DeLorme Atlas of Wyoming. Page 48. C/2-3, barely located on the east side of 2.

Located north of Highway 189/191 from Bondurant to Hoback Junction. Hoback Junction is where you catch Highway 26/89/189/191 North to Jackson. The Atlas shows a campsite at the end, I think it is the swimming pool parking lot. The road dead ends before the Gros Ventre Wilderness "logo on the map".

The road exiting 189/191 is called FR (Forest Road)30500. This road ENDS in less than 10 miles at the Hot Springs Swimming Pool. The camping area you want to detach your trailer is at 4.7 miles from the main highway. You cannot miss it, as it will be on your EAST side and be looking at it from above.

There are no facilities. There is a fly fishing river next to the campsite. There is plenty of space to find your best view. Most of the locals drive to the hot springs and drive home. There is a charge to swim at the pool.

I am giving up this GEM of a campsite, maybe 22 miles from Jackson Hole... for those following the Boondocking Threads. These kinds of campsites are NOT ADVERTISED or shown on a map as a destination. I will try to post several photographs.

IF you visit the site, please make your comments and add photographs. Even the waterfall will have steaming water exiting some of the rock formations!

Campsite coordinates: Granite Hot Springs Swimming Pool
N43 degrees 18.684 minutes
W110 degrees 27.539 minutes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0308.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	698.4 KB
ID:	239036   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0310.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	527.9 KB
ID:	239037  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0301.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	566.8 KB
ID:	239038   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0307.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	623.4 KB
ID:	239039  

Old 05-23-2015, 09:03 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Ray, perfect! Is camping accessible with larger AS over surfaced roads or are the roads "unimproved?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:14 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
Sounds like a nice place to stop for a few days. Tagging this post.
BassCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:28 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Thank you Ray, my husband and I ARE headed that way in late Aug early Sept. That looks like a perfect stop for a couple of days.
Thanks for the post.
Kathy Hoover
raidergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:24 PM   #5
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Also you can see the USFS Granite Creek Campground on Allstays app or Campendium.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:50 PM   #6

1976 Argosy 24
Port Elgin , Ontario
We are also heading that way in Sept - hope we can add this spot !
ShawnaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Jackson Hole "Retreat"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Ray, perfect! Is camping accessible with larger AS over surfaced roads or are the roads "unimproved?

Your 34 footer will travel well on this Forest Service road and have plenty of turn around road at the campsite.

The majority of unpaved feeder "main roads" in Wyoming are what I call "all season travel". It is not the road that must be considered, but the length of the trailer. I do not recall any drop angle off the main road and onto those roads in the camping area. The "main road"is the one you see in the lower part of the photograph with our 2006 23 footer camped, all by itself. It does not hurt to have a spotter watch your plumbing and rear bumper if you suspect a possible drag...

Searching "Granite Creek Campground Wyoming" on Google pulls up some good background information. Although the campground is not shown. A video shows a pickup with 11.33 minutes of youtube, but obviously not of this campground. There are no trees here, fire pits, picnic tables, water pumps, etc.. There could be a second campground I am not aware. I did not watch the video.

Just a word of caution. When leaving this or ANY gravel road to enter back onto the highway... keep your tow vehicle in FOUR WHEEL DRIVE. If you see traffic clear and begin to pull out in two wheel, the rear wheels WILL SPIN IN THE LOOSE GRAVEL at the intersection and leave you exposed to any traffic that does appear before you realize what is happening. I always use this technique going from gravel to asphalt. When going from asphalt TO GRAVEL, I will engage four wheel if the gravel is loose and not packed into the road mix. It is so easy to disengage the 4x4 once comfortable with the road condition.

A freshly plowed/resurfaced gravel road can be dangerous, as well. Just play it safe anywhere off gravel onto asphalt road conditions. You will not regret playing it safe. If you have 4x4 use it when unsure.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:36 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Richmond , Indiana
I love the pictures of the hot springs. I have been to Jackson Hole a few times. The next time I go there I will try to go to this "Neat" place.
Vaughn Hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:58 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Been to granite hot springs in winter. Into the wonderfully warm water! What a beautiful place and a neat experience. Now I want to go back.
fwjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 04:33 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Just got back from Granite Springs as well as the Tetons Yellowstone red Lodge and the Big Horn mountains. We really enjoyed Granite Springs it's one of the funnest places we've ever been to. Thank you Ray for the heads up. Many, many moose.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Perker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:02 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Thanks for sharing this location, Ray. It is indeed a gem. We camped at Granite Springs on 8/30 & 9/1. There are a good number of primitive sites along 30,500, but yours and most were occupied when we arrived at 1800 hrs. We continued to the Forest Service Granite Creek Campground and took a fine site (#6) with stunning views of a sage meadow, creek and mountains behind us. Good CG with water spigots and vault toilets. $15 or $7 with a pass. Not really 'boondocking' but pretty close. The Hot Spring fed pool a mile further is a real bonus. Constructed by the CCC in the 30's, it is clean and well maintained. $6 daily fee. The 10 mile gravel road is a bit rough, but we've done much worse in our FC23FB. 34 deg overnight at the end of August! We lingered for a second day.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1441148489.101088.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	247002

Safe Travels,
Jamu Joe
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Thanks as we are planning our 2016 trip right now. Sounds like a possibility

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:18 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Thanks Ray. We drove by your town in August going from Denver to Raton. Is that "rock" a lava core? Looks like a medieval fortress up there.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:47 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Bartlett , Illinois
Ray, I love reading your posts. Wish you would write a travel book with all the knowledge you have.

We just returned from a trip that took us through Jackson Hole. For those planning a trip, you might find this place interesting. Our group ended up in Gros Venture camp ground about 10 miles north of Jackson. Nice Park and convenient to Jackson Hole. A local guy told me about this place to take great old barn pictures. Off we went. If you leave the entrance of the CG and go north (Right Turn) and go about a half mile on your left you will see a narrow gravel road called Mormon Row. Turn left and drive slowly about 3 miles. There were Bison and Pronghorn sheep all along the road. Then you get to a small barn on the left. This was what it looked like. If you continue down the road you will find 3 more buildings.

We later found out this is the most photographed barn in WY.

Bluestar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:54 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Beautiful!

I have a small print of that very barn, bought in Wyoming several years ago.

Ray has left the Forums, for a month or so now.

Maybe he reads once in awhile and will realize how much his wit, wisdom and info sharing here are missed.

Maggie
Old 09-05-2015, 06:21 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
Maggie
Why did Ray leave the forum? I love reading his posts. He is informative & always willing to share.

Jane
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 06:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It's a bit complicated, but I don't think he would mind me just stating a few facts. If he does mind, I expect I will hear from him.

He had started a thread that became controversial for a couple of reasons, and he decided he didn't want to be a part of some things inherent in this Forum, and probably others.

That's all I'm going to say, lest I begin another controversy or be so presumptive as to take Ray's issues here on as my own.

It is good that folks miss him, and I miss him here, too, but I don't know that he will be back.

Maggie
Old 09-05-2015, 06:45 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
He should start his own blog & let us in for the ride! I like all places they go.
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 06:52 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That would be a great idea.

Maggie
Old 09-05-2015, 07:23 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Bartlett , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Beautiful!

I have a small print of that very barn, bought in Wyoming several years ago.

Ray has left the Forums, for a month or so now.

Maybe he reads once in awhile and will realize how much his wit, wisdom and info sharing here are missed.

Maggie

That is a shame. I always enjoyed his posts. Hope he returns, I'm sure there are way more people that enjoy reading what he has to say. If he starts a Blog I would follow it for sure.
Bluestar99 is offline   Reply With Quote