Old 09-05-2015, 06:54 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Beautiful!

I have a small print of that very barn, bought in Wyoming several years ago.

Ray has left the Forums, for a month or so now.

Maybe he reads once in awhile and will realize how much his wit, wisdom and info sharing here are missed.

Maggie

Old 09-05-2015, 07:21 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
Maggie
Why did Ray leave the forum? I love reading his posts. He is informative & always willing to share.

Jane

Old 09-05-2015, 07:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It's a bit complicated, but I don't think he would mind me just stating a few facts. If he does mind, I expect I will hear from him.

He had started a thread that became controversial for a couple of reasons, and he decided he didn't want to be a part of some things inherent in this Forum, and probably others.

That's all I'm going to say, lest I begin another controversy or be so presumptive as to take Ray's issues here on as my own.

It is good that folks miss him, and I miss him here, too, but I don't know that he will be back.

Maggie
Old 09-05-2015, 07:45 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
He should start his own blog & let us in for the ride! I like all places they go.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:52 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That would be a great idea.

Maggie
Old 09-05-2015, 08:23 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Bartlett , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Beautiful!

I have a small print of that very barn, bought in Wyoming several years ago.

Ray has left the Forums, for a month or so now.

Maybe he reads once in awhile and will realize how much his wit, wisdom and info sharing here are missed.

Maggie

That is a shame. I always enjoyed his posts. Hope he returns, I'm sure there are way more people that enjoy reading what he has to say. If he starts a Blog I would follow it for sure.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
If he's truly gone then we are all the poorer for it. I will miss him.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:58 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Taos , New Mexico
Agreed.

Ray's got a lot of worthwhile distraction right now involving winter nesting grounds in the untamed wilds of the Mojave...

For those who missed the show, he was needlessly trounced for casually invoking the spirit and name of certain "Wally" organizations, with fervor reminiscent of religiosity, the result of which drove some folks, particularly Ray, away.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:12 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Hard to believe we all are adults sometimes isn't it? I am always surprised when comments are needlessly rude & mean spirited. Get a grip people.

Jane

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-20-2015, 10:28 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Granite Springs is one stop for 2016 Wyoming Adventure

Granite Springs IS on the 2016 Wyoming Adventure for August 2016.

Dry Camp or anyone can go further up the road to the Camp Ground. All can go for a swim in the Hot Spring fed pool or fly fish downstream. Check out Post #11 by JamuJoe for details.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:47 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
We stumbled upon Granite Hot Springs on our way back from Yellowstone in 2013. Great campsite! Yes, the dirt road to get in can take a long time. It was especially interesting for us at they were grading it and the grader had pushed a big ridge into the middle of the road, with slim width on the sides for my camper.

Someone above stated that a 34' camper would be fine in the campground. I'm not so sure about that, it's a tight loop. Maybe the poster was referring to the unofficial camping that's a few miles before the official campground? I did not explore that area.

Eric
Most of China
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:00 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
[QUOTE=ericpeltier;1699437]We stumbled upon Granite Hot Springs on our way back from Yellowstone in 2013. Great campsite! Yes, the dirt road to get in can take a long time. It was especially interesting for us at they were grading it and the grader had pushed a big ridge into the middle of the road, with slim width on the sides for my camper.

Someone above stated that a 34' camper would be fine in the campground. I'm not so sure about that, it's a tight loop. Maybe the poster was referring to the unofficial camping that's a few miles before the official campground? I did not explore that area.

Eric[/QUOTE
I would think, like yourself, that a 34 footer could be a bit of imagination to get moved around without dragging bumper. Yes... the Off the Grid site is large enough to turn around any trailer, but I do not recall if there was any "drop" off the main gravel.

When the County plows the gravel, they actually create a real big temporary problem for trailers. Boulders are rolled into the road. That ridge in the middle is tough to navigate around. Had similar problems when the Wyoming Highway Department tore out Highway 287 from DuBois to Moran Junction... after that, any road could be considered FLAT and PAVED!

I must have been in this area in 2008. Since residents of Jackson frequent the Hot Springs... they must keep the road in great condition. Some times in the process the turn off to the Off the Grid camping needs to be "shoveled a bit" to access the campsite. Just a routine in the mountains.

Thanks for your input. Glad you found Granite Springs. Did you see the steam coming from the waterfalls downstream from the swimming area?
Old 10-20-2015, 12:18 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Ray,
Thank you for sharing the awesome camping site!
Bookmarking for our 2016 travels.
See you down the road,
FCloud9
Old 10-20-2015, 12:34 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
[QUOTE=Ray Eklund;1699469]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericpeltier View Post
We stumbled upon Granite Hot Springs on our way back from Yellowstone in 2013. Great campsite! Yes, the dirt road to get in can take a long time. It was especially interesting for us at they were grading it and the grader had pushed a big ridge into the middle of the road, with slim width on the sides for my camper.

Eric[/QUOTE
I would think, like yourself, that a 34 footer could be a bit of imagination to get moved around without dragging bumper. Yes... the Off the Grid site is large enough to turn around any trailer, but I do not recall if there was any "drop" off the main gravel.

When the County plows the gravel, they actually create a real big temporary problem for trailers. Boulders are rolled into the road. That ridge in the middle is tough to navigate around. Had similar problems when the Wyoming Highway Department tore out Highway 287 from DuBois to Moran Junction... after that, any road could be considered FLAT and PAVED!

I must have been in this area in 2008. Since residents of Jackson frequent the Hot Springs... they must keep the road in great condition. Some times in the process the turn off to the Off the Grid camping needs to be "shoveled a bit" to access the campsite. Just a routine in the mountains.

Thanks for your input. Glad you found Granite Springs. Did you see the steam coming from the waterfalls downstream from the swimming area?
Thanks for your information; Always looking for new travel adventures along the way to/from MT....this looks very attractive as a stop over for sure! Do you know if it is open Oct/Nov months?