Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2015, 02:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
If he's truly gone then we are all the poorer for it. I will miss him.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:58 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Taos , New Mexico
Agreed.

Ray's got a lot of worthwhile distraction right now involving winter nesting grounds in the untamed wilds of the Mojave...

For those who missed the show, he was needlessly trounced for casually invoking the spirit and name of certain "Wally" organizations, with fervor reminiscent of religiosity, the result of which drove some folks, particularly Ray, away.
Thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:12 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
Hard to believe we all are adults sometimes isn't it? I am always surprised when comments are needlessly rude & mean spirited. Get a grip people.

Jane

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:28 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Granite Springs is one stop for 2016 Wyoming Adventure

Granite Springs IS on the 2016 Wyoming Adventure for August 2016.

Dry Camp or anyone can go further up the road to the Camp Ground. All can go for a swim in the Hot Spring fed pool or fly fish downstream. Check out Post #11 by JamuJoe for details.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:47 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
We stumbled upon Granite Hot Springs on our way back from Yellowstone in 2013. Great campsite! Yes, the dirt road to get in can take a long time. It was especially interesting for us at they were grading it and the grader had pushed a big ridge into the middle of the road, with slim width on the sides for my camper.

Someone above stated that a 34' camper would be fine in the campground. I'm not so sure about that, it's a tight loop. Maybe the poster was referring to the unofficial camping that's a few miles before the official campground? I did not explore that area.

Eric
Most of China
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:00 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
[QUOTE=ericpeltier;1699437]We stumbled upon Granite Hot Springs on our way back from Yellowstone in 2013. Great campsite! Yes, the dirt road to get in can take a long time. It was especially interesting for us at they were grading it and the grader had pushed a big ridge into the middle of the road, with slim width on the sides for my camper.

Someone above stated that a 34' camper would be fine in the campground. I'm not so sure about that, it's a tight loop. Maybe the poster was referring to the unofficial camping that's a few miles before the official campground? I did not explore that area.

Eric[/QUOTE
I would think, like yourself, that a 34 footer could be a bit of imagination to get moved around without dragging bumper. Yes... the Off the Grid site is large enough to turn around any trailer, but I do not recall if there was any "drop" off the main gravel.

When the County plows the gravel, they actually create a real big temporary problem for trailers. Boulders are rolled into the road. That ridge in the middle is tough to navigate around. Had similar problems when the Wyoming Highway Department tore out Highway 287 from DuBois to Moran Junction... after that, any road could be considered FLAT and PAVED!

I must have been in this area in 2008. Since residents of Jackson frequent the Hot Springs... they must keep the road in great condition. Some times in the process the turn off to the Off the Grid camping needs to be "shoveled a bit" to access the campsite. Just a routine in the mountains.

Thanks for your input. Glad you found Granite Springs. Did you see the steam coming from the waterfalls downstream from the swimming area?
Old 10-20-2015, 11:18 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Ray,
Thank you for sharing the awesome camping site!
Bookmarking for our 2016 travels.
See you down the road,
FCloud9
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:34 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
[QUOTE=Ray Eklund;1699469]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericpeltier View Post
We stumbled upon Granite Hot Springs on our way back from Yellowstone in 2013. Great campsite! Yes, the dirt road to get in can take a long time. It was especially interesting for us at they were grading it and the grader had pushed a big ridge into the middle of the road, with slim width on the sides for my camper.

Eric[/QUOTE
I would think, like yourself, that a 34 footer could be a bit of imagination to get moved around without dragging bumper. Yes... the Off the Grid site is large enough to turn around any trailer, but I do not recall if there was any "drop" off the main gravel.

When the County plows the gravel, they actually create a real big temporary problem for trailers. Boulders are rolled into the road. That ridge in the middle is tough to navigate around. Had similar problems when the Wyoming Highway Department tore out Highway 287 from DuBois to Moran Junction... after that, any road could be considered FLAT and PAVED!

I must have been in this area in 2008. Since residents of Jackson frequent the Hot Springs... they must keep the road in great condition. Some times in the process the turn off to the Off the Grid camping needs to be "shoveled a bit" to access the campsite. Just a routine in the mountains.

Thanks for your input. Glad you found Granite Springs. Did you see the steam coming from the waterfalls downstream from the swimming area?
Thanks for your information; Always looking for new travel adventures along the way to/from MT....this looks very attractive as a stop over for sure! Do you know if it is open Oct/Nov months?
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:44 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Thanks for your information; Always looking for new travel adventures along the way to/from MT....this looks very attractive as a stop over for sure! Do you know if it is open Oct/Nov months?
Probably an internet search will give you more information than I could. I get the impression that the locals come here all year round. We stopped and watched those in the pool, but did not jump into it. There might have been some temperatures listed on a sign posted on this thread. I was too lazy to look, but do not know how HOT this "hot spring" might be.

Much like Saratoga, Wyoming and their REAL HOT SPRING... if you have not been there. Those in Laramie, Wyoming would go and the cold winter area left a dense fog billowing off the hot spring. It could be below ZERO at Saratoga (Medicine Bow Mountains) and this spring flows thousands of gallons of hot water year round!

For Fishermen and women: Go just north of Jackson and on the east you will see the Jackson Hole Fish Hatchery. We wandered around there years ago and got a good look at the "big ones" they do release. Maybe even get a date when they are stocking some small rivers or lakes while you are there...

When the Fish Hatchery trout are released for fishermen... let the fun begin!
Old 05-15-2016, 06:23 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
1994 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Olympia , Washington
Thanks for the wealth of info! We are getting ready to head out on an extended trip through Wyoming!
chevl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:24 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
The Granite Hot Springs was suppose to be one of the camps used for the 2016 Wyoming Adventure. Due to the Cliff Creek Fire just south and east of the creek... it was scratched off the itinerary. Such a beautiful site and the area will recover. The fire was over 8,000 acres when scrubbed.

When an alternate camp site was used, one of the members found that the area had been reopened and the fire was out. Even out, there are lots of other issues that one has to consider.

Jackson, Wyoming... it was... packed with tourists mid August. A wonderful area if you have never visited. From Jackson to Yellowstone... if you make just that one trip in NW Wyoming... you saw the best Natural Wonders in the western wilds of the Rocky Mountains.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:22 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
A beautiful spot off the beaten path. Thanks for sharing
BassCan is offline   Reply With Quote