Old 04-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Just an opinion, but two Honda 2000s do not sound twice as loud as one. Not sure about the scientific explanation; but to my ear, two seem to be only marginally louder. In fact, from an adjacent camp spot in most campgrounds, if you don't look and see two units, you'd think only one was running. Also, the Hondas and Yamahas are quiet enough that from an adjacent camp spot, you can barely hear them running. And, if you can't actually see them, you can't tell which camp site has them.

When we walk our dog, we usually ask our campground neighbors that are out if our generator(s) disturb them. If they do, we try to limit usage to when they are not at their camp site, or when they are inside their RV. However, to date, we have never had anyone complain about generator noise. Usually, they comment on how quiet they are, and frequently ask to take a look at them.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodbust View Post
But I'm looking more for a 8,000 to 10,000 watt unit that could handle 2 trailers at once.. Our son in law who farms with us has a SOB 5th wheel and 4 kids.. When summer gets here the AC is a must as we see 96f to 105f about every weekend..

Problem is,, once one gets away from the little 2000,, 3000 watt units the noise level goes off the scale.. Been searching for a larger unit that can run under 60 db level and have not found anything yet.. One would think,, if they went with a 1800 rpm 4 pole gen head it would help a lot to cancel out that lawn mower clatter.. Only the high end RV motor home units run 1800 rpms.. and are very pricey..

Sodbust
Here ya go Sodbust.
Honda EU6500i Super Quiet Generator

Old 04-22-2012, 01:28 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Champion 2000

I have to challenge the conventional wisdom here. I bought two Champion 2000 watt gens at Costco with the connection device. Time will tell. I got the gens for 450.00 each and the connecting kit was 65.00. They look well made, are stackable and quiet. I'll let you know in a year from now how they are.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:53 AM   #18
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
"Just an opinion, but two Honda 2000s do not sound twice as loud as one. Not sure about the scientific explanation; but to my ear, two seem to be only marginally louder"

No sound engineer here either....but I read this as 3db louder for 2 genset's,(power), running together.

"A change in power ratio by a factor of 10 is a 10 dB change. A change in power ratio by a factor of two is approximately a 3 dB change."

Bob

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:38 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
Wainscott , The Hamptons, Long Island
I love my Honda 2000's. They are very quiet, run everything and are durable. They are easy to move and start. I can't see owning anything else.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I started with a Yamaha 2400i with the LP conversion and used it when I went to dog trials. But when we travel, we just camp where there's electric if it's very hot. I carry a Honda 1000 just to top off the batteries when we boondock. But I've never needed to use it as we go several days and then hit a campground to charge, dump tanks and fill up with fresh water. And we don't like to go where it's hot.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:36 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Went to the red web site and they have a little vid showing there different gen sets at full load and sound ratings.. A huge difference between the 59 db and the 72 db..

The red 6500 watt is a nice looking and sounding rig.. Why do I feel we are pushing the price of a small car to get one?

All I know is I wish I could use my old Lister 8hp diesel.. Runs at 500 rpm,, and sounds more like an old grandfather clock running than a chain saw.. Main problem is,, it tips the scale with the 5kw head at around 1600 lbs with the channel iron frame..

Cant have ones cake and eat it too as they always say..

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:38 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Lister diesels are 'da bomb' when it comes to stationary power generation. Quiet, reliable, everlasting. But as you point out, they're not so portable!
Old 05-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #23
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Just an opinion, but two Honda 2000s do not sound twice as loud as one. Not sure about the scientific explanation; but to my ear, two seem to be only marginally louder. In fact, from an adjacent camp spot in most campgrounds, if you don't look and see two units, you'd think only one was running. Also, the Hondas and Yamahas are quiet enough that from an adjacent camp spot, you can barely hear them running. And, if you can't actually see them, you can't tell which camp site has them.

When we walk our dog, we usually ask our campground neighbors that are out if our generator(s) disturb them. If they do, we try to limit usage to when they are not at their camp site, or when they are inside their RV. However, to date, we have never had anyone complain about generator noise. Usually, they comment on how quiet they are, and frequently ask to take a look at them.
Technically two are only 3db louder then one.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #24

Nashville , Tennessee
I'm sure this has been addressed before, but being new to AS and looking to buy one. Why don't they offer generators built in like you can get on motorhomes and other trailers? I saw a post somewhere about someone selling a unit that was pre wired at the factory for a generator. Is that a possibility?
Old 08-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
I've installed two generators in two different Airstreams: one in a 1966 22 foot Safari, and the other in my 2005 30 foot classic.

Why would I go to all that work when I could have settled for one of these nice portable generators that everyone speaks highly about? Two main reasons: convenience and theft-proof.

My Onan Genset works off my propane tanks and fires up by the push of a switch (I don't have to go outside in the weather, nor do I have to mess with fuel).

For the most part, Onan makes the same noise with or without load, unlike the Honda ( which runs much quieter when not under) but I think my neighbors 2000 Honda was more noise under load then my Microlight.

I don't know why Airstream does not provide a gen option (must not be profitable). So if you are handy, it can be done.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
One rarely hears a disparaging comment on the EU 2000 gens ... just saying.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Easy to handle at 47lbs each.
Quiet.
Very durable
They sip gas
And in a pair they run my air (ac).

Honda EU 2000's for me
Old 09-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Airstream did offer it as an option a couple times, including during the mid-90s (it was an option for the 30' and the 34' IIRC...included 40 lb propane bottles, too!). I assume they don't keep offering it because it's so rarely added on to the trailer.

My Onan Microlite (in the B190) was much, much louder than my two Hondas. But that probably has more to do with the mounting cabinet than the generator itself.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote