Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2019, 05:28 PM   #21
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Easy fix: If it's so hot that we need the air conditioning, we don't boondock. We go for shore power, or we just head north and/or to higher elevations. Our wheels are our most important climate control device, and we're happy to use them. When we have the specific goal of boondocking, we seek out more comfortable climates where we're not likely to need our air conditioner.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 05:28 PM   #22
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
Another vote for the Honda 2200i. Had Vinnie install the easy start (which is good overall for compressor longevity on start up even on shore power). The size/weight consideration was important to me. Honda has a network of local authorized service centers where you can obtain service. A lot of the service centers are Lawn/small tools type places that can perform service and recall work. Nice to just drop off at the end of a season and have the generator serviced for next season.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:11 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
Living in Montana during the hi vacation months means "all campgrounds" are in high demand. Recently, not being able to get into a "full hook-up" CG I opted to "boondock". The campground I chose was full of many different brands of trailers all running genies. Looking at all the rigs and different genie choices I was suprised to see the generator of choice for all the rigs running them was "not Honda or Yamaha"...it was Champion. Personally, I own a Champion 3500 Watt Dual Fuel. I guess I made the best choice. Only one trailer right accross from my sight was running a small Honda.
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:15 PM   #24
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpatrick16 View Post
The campground I chose was full of many different brands of trailers all running genies. Looking at all the rigs and different genie choices I was suprised to see the generator of choice for all the rigs running them was "not Honda or Yamaha"...it was Champion.
That must have been a peaceful weekend, regardless of what brands there were!
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:23 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Living in Montana during the hi vacation months means "all campgrounds" are in high demand. Recently, not being able to get into a "full hook-up" CG I opted to "boondock". The campground I chose was full of many different brands of trailers all running genies. Looking at all the rigs and different genie choices I was suprised to see the generator of choice for all the rigs running them was "not Honda or Yamaha"...it was Champion. Personally, I own a Champion 3500 Watt Dual Fuel. I guess I made the best choice. Only one trailer right accross from my sight was running a small Honda.
I bet most of the trailers were also SOB. They must be better than Airstreams. =P
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:16 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
That must have been a peaceful weekend, regardless of what brands there were!
Yes it was. I see you are from Park City Utah a place that I'm familiar with. I love to camp with my Grandchildren who are both young (4 & 6). Living in Montana our camping season is short depending where you want to go. If we're lucky it may start in mid April but it shuts down at the end of September. Simply put we "covet" our camping days. Since our last outing was days before the "official start of summer" and after it, the weather was crappy. One day of sunshine..the remainder wind, rain, grapple, sleet and snow! But we're just a "bunch of happy little chipmonks" enjoying nature and the beauty of our state...come what may. And...there were a lot of other brands with a few Airstreams mixed in. Seems that "Grand Design" is currently the most popular trailer brand these days. But, someone would have to "pry my 22' Sport out of my cold dead hands" before I'd let it go or...trade it. I've been camping for nearly 60 years and I've found my "happy place" in my coach...affectionatley called "Milley".
Old 06-24-2019, 06:28 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
I bet most of the trailers were also SOB. They must be better than Airstreams. =P
Yes, you are correct in your assumption...most were SOBs. However, with that said, I live right off or Interstate 90 in western Montana. I'm almost exactly half way between Yellowstone to my south and Glacier to my northwest. And, I travel I90 just about "everyday". I see hundreds of RV's of all shapes and sizes every year....and I find myself counting them. On my last outing just driving to our campsite 150 miles away I counted 51 SOBs to one Airstream. The most popular of these were "Grand Design". They do make a nice coach and the price point of these units would, in my opinnion, make a great 2nd option for those who are not "lucky enough" to be able to get an Airstream. I'm blessed I've got both...my little 22FB Sport and a "quality..reasonably priced genie".
Happy Trails traveler!
Pat
Old 06-24-2019, 06:54 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
The campground I chose was full of many different brands of trailers all running genies. Looking at all the rigs and different genie choices I was suprised to see the generator of choice for all the rigs running them was "not Honda or Yamaha"...it was Champion. Personally, I own a Champion 3500 Watt Dual Fuel. I guess I made the best choice.
You did!
It's hard to dislike the big Champion. FOR THE MONEY, it can't be beat.
If Champion made a 5500w. gen, with remote start and dual fuel, selling under $1500, they'd rule the world.
My Honda is very efficient, every time I bring it, I never need it!

Quote:
I see hundreds of RV's of all shapes and sizes every year....and I find myself counting them. On my last outing just driving to our campsite 150 miles away I counted 51 SOBs to one Airstream. The most popular of these were "Grand Design".
Those 51 people said, "An Airstream costs HOW much??? I can buy a 30' Grand Design for the cost of a 16' Airstream!"
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:38 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
You did!
If Champion made a 5500w. gen, with remote start and dual fuel, selling under $1500, they'd rule the world.

Those 51 people said, "An Airstream costs HOW much??? I can buy a 30' Grand Design for the cost of a 16' Airstream!"
You sir are "correct"!
I like "Honda Generators"...IF I were a full time traveler in my AS I would probably figure out a way to buy one...assuming I was going to keep it at least 10 years.
Doing the math I find that a 3000 watt Honda (not 3500 watt dual fuel) genie sells for $2350 bucks.
I try to get out at least 7 times a year. If I figued I could keep the genie for at least 5 years my amortized cost of the Honda would be $67 per outing. The reality is "that's not going to happen on my watch". Three to four times out of the seven I'm going to be using "full hookups". The genie will be used only if that power source fails.
I carry the Champion in the bed of my truck under a tonnau cover along with a propane bottle. When traveling or even spending an overnight in a Walmart or similar I simply plug into the trailer and I can run the genie for an hour or two if necessary. I love the convience and simplicity of the setup.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:54 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
You did!

Yeah, but then you’d have a 30’ Grand Design.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:38 AM   #31
On Airstream #5

2019 16' Sport
2019 27' Tommy Bahama
2021 Interstate 19
la canada , California
My preference is the new Honda 2200 generators which I have to one of them's the companion with the 30 amp receptacle with both my 28 footers air conditioners having saw starts and a large battery capacity I can run everything on just one especially if it's sunny for my solar. however you plug in the companion and you parallel on and you have 4400 starting and 4000 continuous Watts. I prefer the Hondas because they're lighter and smaller and easier for an old man like me to pick up and move around.
danmiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:02 PM   #32

2003 22' International
Omaha , Nebraska
Can you tell me how much the 3000 watt Honda weighs?
mgomel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:37 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
O'Fallon , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
For the house I bought a Honda ES6500 twin cylinder, liquid cooled generator. It has onboard battery charging which most electric start generators do not have. It’s an impressive machine.
Sorry to derail this and go off topic. I have a question about the ES6500....

How quiet is it? Relative to, say, one of the 2kW inverter generators and a “noise machine” contractor type gennie....qualitatively speaking. Maybe closer to one than the other.

I’ve been interested in replacing my home generator with one of these older Honda’s but have never met anybody that’s heard one run.

Thanks,
Steve
wh500special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:51 AM   #34
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We had an ES6500 at home. Water cooled, on wheels. Worked great. Very loud compared to Honda’s inverter generators. Not as loud as a hardcore contractor unit.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:25 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
O'Fallon , Illinois
Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for!

Steve
wh500special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:41 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgomel View Post
Can you tell me how much the 3000 watt Honda weighs?
131 pounds. It holds a lot of gas (3.5 gal) and that adds 21pounds.
Mine lives in the truck. If I take it out I use the Harbor Freight hydraulic table (1000# -- the 500# is strong enough but doesn't go high enough)
Then it lives on the table in the garage until I put it back.
Mine also fits under the Leer Tonneau on a Tundra. (The Tundra has a deeper bed than a similar GM or Ford.)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote