Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2017, 03:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Moulton , Texas
Generator mounting

Okay so I may return my dual fuel Champion because of size.

Question getting ready to buy a new AS, either 27,28, or 30bunk.

Does anyone know the distance between the propane tank cover and the front of the AS?

I am hoping there is enough room to mount a box containing two of the smaller Honda, Yamaha, or Westinghouse genny's (appx 11" wide) that I can parallel to run the ac for the pooches when we stop to sightsee or eat. The weight will only total up to about 150# or less so that should not be too much added hitch weight or frame weight ( I pull with a Super Duty).

Any knowledge of that distance?

Thanks
dannko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 04:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannko View Post
Okay so I may return my dual fuel Champion because of size.

Question getting ready to buy a new AS, either 27,28, or 30bunk.

Does anyone know the distance between the propane tank cover and the front of the AS?

I am hoping there is enough room to mount a box containing two of the smaller Honda, Yamaha, or Westinghouse genny's (appx 11" wide) that I can parallel to run the ac for the pooches when we stop to sightsee or eat. The weight will only total up to about 150# or less so that should not be too much added hitch weight or frame weight ( I pull with a Super Duty).

Any knowledge of that distance?

Thanks
There have been other threads where folks have mounted on the front A-frame area. I'm sure someone has more information on this.

I am curious as to why you would want to go from the 95# Dual Fuel Champion to 2- 45# models? Twice the operational hassle and cost vs the propane versatility of the Champion? More than twice the cost if you are thinking to get them converted to propane. You still will have to plug your power cord into the generators somehow, right? That means dragging the power cord out, and the 50A cord can be a real hassle when it is cold!

We leave our Champion in the back and had a longer propane hose made up so we can use it in the back of the F250 most of the time, by repositioning it using the handle and rolling it around as needed. We can plug the propane hose into the AS quick disconnect up front or we can plug into the extra 20# propane bottle I carry. Curious as to your logic if you care to share? What ever you do, also consider securing against theft!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 04:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
On our 2006 19' Bambi... the distance at the bottom of the propane cover (and the top of the batter box) to the outer skin is about 14.5"...the propane tank cover is vertical but the shell of the Airstream slants of course... so the top distance is less ... just under the lip of the tank cover it is about 9.5".

I'm not absolutely certain that this is standard with any newer AS. Hopefully someone with a rig closer to your length will chime in...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:52 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Moulton , Texas
because I don't want the generator on or in the truck. I want it on the trailer, and the two thinner ones will work, and honestly my Champion will only run one ac barely when using propane. I would have done the Carlson rack, but then it blocks the propane tank cover. I plan on a switch like a built in genny, with a cord tied into that so I don't have to run a cord. That is my plan anyway. Everywhere I look, my plan seems to get squashed. I cannot be the only one that wants mounted generator power.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:23 PM   #5
Some Guy

1968 26' Overlander
2021 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
This mount is not cheap, but locks and mounts in one deal:

http://lowprolockdown.com
2019 RAM PowerWagon TV-Petrol Hemi
WBCCI # 22342
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
because I don't want the generator on or in the truck. I want it on the trailer, and the two thinner ones will work, and honestly my Champion will only run one ac barely when using propane. I would have done the Carlson rack, but then it blocks the propane tank cover. I plan on a switch like a built in genny, with a cord tied into that so I don't have to run a cord. That is my plan anyway. Everywhere I look, my plan seems to get squashed. I cannot be the only one that wants mounted generator power.
I understand your goals, i think. But, sounds like you just purchased the Dual fuel? Before you go through the hassle of returning it, I would give it another shot running the 1500 AC, only because getting 2 new units opens up another set of challenges in running 2 AC's, besides mounting.

Not sure if you are thinking Honda/Yamaha 2000W models, but if you are considering getting 2 of them and linking them together to run your AC units at the same time, you will need to add some sort of a starting capacitor like the one from MicroAir called EasyStart. Without help, they will not be able to run both ACs together. There are lots of data in Forum threads here about using the MicroAir running 2 ACs with 2 of those smaller2000W units. Without an EasyStart type device from late last year.

How you mount 2 on your rig, is a different question along with cost of course including the EasyStart units. The 3500 models from Yamaha or Honda and will be able to handle 1 AC without the EasyStart, but lots more weight....100#-135#'s each? Keep us informed on how you achieve your set up.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 10-17-2017, 09:57 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Moulton , Texas
thanks I am well aware of this, but again nowhere to put it, and hitch mounting is advised against, plus I want an enclosed gen.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:00 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
thanks I am well aware of this, but again nowhere to put it, and hitch mounting is advised against, plus I want an enclosed gen.
Will be interesting to see how you solve this. Don't want the generator in the truck bed; don't want it on the hitch/A-frame area? You want it covered....perhaps consider a new Atlas? Has a built-in generator...otherwise, I think your in for a real challenge!

I put a rubber mat in my bed from Ford, and when I use my generator in the bed or lift it out to use it on the ground, I am able to avoid any irritating noise, by directing exhaust away from the AS. For rain cover, I can run my unit under the tri-fold cover by opening folding up the last rung if rain were to come, or I can set on ground under my front awning. Just some more un-requested help...hope I am not offending you.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:34 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Moulton , Texas
nah, not a pansy like so many or a keyboard warrior. I have it in my truck now, but mainly to run an ac unit that is in the truck bed that pipes into the truck for my dogs. I have a cover and vent it out and exhaust it out with an extension that is wrapped. I don't want that though because of theft, rain, and other items stored in bed. With an AS I don't believe there is a solution (why I started this posting to see if there was), so I may go to my original idea of a metal box on top of my bed lid (Diamondback HD) that will hold the genny or genny's.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
nah, not a pansy like so many or a keyboard warrior. I have it in my truck now, but mainly to run an ac unit that is in the truck bed that pipes into the truck for my dogs. I have a cover and vent it out and exhaust it out with an extension that is wrapped. I don't want that though because of theft, rain, and other items stored in bed. With an AS I don't believe there is a solution (why I started this posting to see if there was), so I may go to my original idea of a metal box on top of my bed lid (Diamondback HD) that will hold the genny or genny's.
Dog- understand the reluctance of keeping in the bed, now. I saw a guy with a Toyota pulling a 23' last summer in Glacier, with his Honda 3500 mounted on a rack above his camper shell, where he kept his dog also. He also had a kayak and 2 gas cans strapped up there. He was happy, but I always wondered if he was overloaded...one reason I went away from gas generator and carrying extra gas, in case of an accident...this guy would be really hosed if he hit something!