Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2019, 10:26 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Newcastle , Oklahoma
Generator for 30 Amp Service

Hello All

I am sure this topic has been discussed before but I can't seem to find a good thread on this. We are considering the Honda Eu220i for boon-docking. We do not plan to use the AC while running the generator. We are pretty simple campers. We only need the generator to run the appliances and TV. We use a small portable solar powered charger for charging the batteries when not hooked to shore power. The Honda has great reviews, it is light weight and seems to run a long time on less than a gallon of gas. Does anybody use this as a stand alone generator? We do not want the companion since we have no intentions of ever running two generators.

Thank You
MC
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
Hello All

I am sure this topic has been discussed before but I can't seem to find a good thread on this. We are considering the Honda Eu220i for boon-docking. We do not plan to use the AC while running the generator. We are pretty simple campers. We only need the generator to run the appliances and TV. We use a small portable solar powered charger for charging the batteries when not hooked to shore power. The Honda has great reviews, it is light weight and seems to run a long time on less than a gallon of gas. Does anybody use this as a stand alone generator? We do not want the companion since we have no intentions of ever running two generators.

Thank You
MC
Yes their are many threads on "the best generator subject".
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...or-188979.html
ETC.

However you just can't beat a Honda.
I have 2- Honda EU2000i gens. We purchased them new in 20012. I just rebuilt both carbs (super easy) this spring. Ethanol in our fuel causes water and gunk to collect in the bowl of all small engines, lawn mowers, chain saws, etc. Propane conversion will end that headache. I do not use fuels with ethanol any more, Propane, True Fuel, Aviation fuel and if you are lucky your Union 76 station, check around. Parts and service are everywhere for Honda's as well as Yamaha's and they are the quietest.

_Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I like my Honda 2000 that I have been using for 9 years. It is a Companion model and I like the twist lock connector for my 30 amp cord. And you could run the AC with the 2200 if you choose to.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:42 AM   #4
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
What appliances do you want to run, other than the TV? Microwave? In that case, stick with a EU2200, but if just TV and battery charging, a 1000w generator is plenty. Keep in mind also that you can add an inverter to watch the TV in peace and quiet, and use the generator later to charge the batteries if needed.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:45 AM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Regarding the ethanol fuel issue: If you can't get ethanol-free gas, just run the carburetor dry before storing the generator. Honda makes this harder than Yamaha, because on a Yamaha you can just shut off the fuel flow and it'll pull all the fuel from the carb until it dies. I *THOUGHT* the shutoff on my Briggs and Strattons would work that way, but it shuts down the engine in addition to closing the fuel valve, leaving fuel in the carbs. Now I just run them dry, which is easy enough to do with the 2k-class generators' smaller tanks. It wasn't a trivial thing on my 3k Yamaha with a 3.5 gal tank, so I used the fuel valve.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:53 AM   #6
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Honda makes this harder than Yamaha, because on a Yamaha you can just shut off the fuel flow and it'll pull all the fuel from the carb until it dies.
The Honda 2200i now includes a fuel shutoff that you turn, and burn off the fuel in the carburetor.

To the OP: If you go with the EU2200i, you might consider going with a propane conversion as well. No worry about stale gas, messy refilling, and carrying gasoline. You can just hook it up to your trailers propane port (if equipped) or carry a grill-sized bottle of propane, rather than gasoline. Lots of conversion options, I like the Genconnex one, which is a very neat install. You can buy the DIY kit from them, or buy one converted directly from them.
Lastly, there are dual-fuel options that allow for gasoline or propane. Propane is so easy to acquire and carry, I just went with propane-only.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:52 PM   #7

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Hutch mountain dual fuel kit is excellent for the Honda 2000-2200! Easy installation and true dual fuel, you never know. Do get the companion, no difference other than the ability to plug in your 30 amp cord directly.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I have Honda E5000 use for back up if power goes also sometimes boon docking. Out of shed yesterday stored full of fuel w/stabilizer for 3yrs. started first pull, IMO honda gens are great, also have 3 smaller hf gens they also start first pull. Had Champion returned 3 hrs. after pur. was not satisfied hard start also other prob.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:00 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
Yamaha EF2200iS

It has an RV plug.
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:26 AM   #10
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
We just came back from 5 nights boon docking. We used our Honda 2200 twice to charge up the batteries..... once for 1 3/4hrs once for 1 hr.... we went 3 nights until the first charge.
We have 2 quality 6 volts golf cart batteries.
We didnt use the furnace and no AC.
Mostly we were using lights / water pump...... wife needs hairdryer for 5 min every morning (using inverter)
You will find if you are watching TV and using your inverter alot you'll need to charge a bit more but the Honda handles it all no problems.
I can get about 8 hrs out of a tank of gas.
You'll find that if you ran the honda for 2 hrs as you watched a movie you probably would have no need for the solar as your batteries would have a good charge..... this is also a good time to have all your chargers plug in (computers/phones etc)
Make sure you secure it as they love to steal Hondas!!
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:45 AM   #11
SipStreamer

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Lakeside , Montana
Eu3000, 15 y.o., runs/cranks like the first day I bought it. Does double duty as home backup power. Never had any mechanical issues, but do turn off fuel and run it dry when not using.
StreamDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:17 PM   #12
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Yamaha 3000iESB on propane for 14 years, not a burp. It will out last me.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:25 PM   #13
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
OK - yes, you can get a Honda. I have one in the garage. Nice generator. We like the propane version, but that adds cost.

You can buy the Champion dual fuel for about half. Nice generator with good reports by users and you can burn propane or gasoline for no additional cost.

That 1000watt generator suggestion is a nice idea. Very quiet.

Quiet is golden. Portable solar works for some.

MC - the 2000s are not 30 amp service. More like 15amp. That's why the companion is added to get 30 amp service for AC.

Red is a nice color. Yellow ain't bad. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Regarding the ethanol fuel issue: If you can't get ethanol-free gas, just run the carburetor dry before storing the generator. Honda makes this harder than Yamaha, because on a Yamaha you can just shut off the fuel flow and it'll pull all the fuel from the carb until it dies. I *THOUGHT* the shutoff on my Briggs and Strattons would work that way, but it shuts down the engine in addition to closing the fuel valve, leaving fuel in the carbs. Now I just run them dry, which is easy enough to do with the 2k-class generators' smaller tanks. It wasn't a trivial thing on my 3k Yamaha with a 3.5 gal tank, so I used the fuel valve.
Honda may not have a way to shut off fuel flow with the generator running but there actually is a quicker and more efficient way to empty the carb than running the gen out of fuel. Siphon the fuel from the tank. While the tank is emptying, open the access cover (one screw) and drain the carb with the built in drain line and bleed valve. Takes about 2 minutes for the whole process.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:51 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Newcastle , Oklahoma
Thank You for all the replies.
I am real interested in the propane models. My only concern would be the availability of the fuel in remote areas as opposed to gasoline. According to all these replies most people are happy with a smaller generator.
Thanks Again
MC
Old 08-22-2019, 08:23 AM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One of the interesting things these days is that most areas that people camp in also have some sort of store selling propane. Indeed you *can* get far enough out that this won't be the case. If so, bring two tanks

A 1,000W generator will do what you seem to be asking about. It will not run the microwave. It will do a fine job charging the batteries via the converter / charger in your trailer. It also will run the lights and the TV.

Generators really want to be run fairly hard. Running one at 1/4 load does not have much benefit. Better to run it up at or above 1/2 load efficiency wise. Just what 1/2 load *is* may take a bit of reading. All the manufacturers tend to put the real running load down in the fine print.

The other thing about the 1KW generators - they are smaller and they are *lighter*. Both make them easier to pack and easier to deal with. In terms of dollars per watt they don't do as well, but if you only *need* 1KW ... why haul along more?

======

Completely off topic, but related - Another "answer" to the problem is to go to lithium batteries and double or quadruple your available battery energy. No, that's not a cheap option ... sorry about that

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:40 AM   #17
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
MC - happy is a relative term. My first year in OK, I lived in a garage apartment. No AC and the hot humid nights were terrible. Absolutely miserable.

A small 1000 watt generator will recharge your battery bank over time. It will do that job reasonably quietly. It does not take up much space and is light to carry.

A 2000/2200 watt generator will make coffee in the morning and charge the battery bank in about an hour, maybe two if you are a heavy user. It's reasonably quiet after the coffee is made, but roars a bit under the heavier load. The easy start modification to the air conditioner allows the 2000 to run AC under most conditions. It takes a 2200 to do the job best, and that's what you can get now in that size range. Expect everyone around you to hear the generator under AC load.

The 3xxx watt generators are heavy too carry (light weight is the companion approach) and you will notice the noise. However, they run your 30 amp service.

The propane makes the generator safe and less troublesome to transport. It provides a little less power, but you only have to carry one type of fuel. We run it off the spare coach tank. Some folks carry an extra 20lb tank. LPG is available in most remote areas, because it is used for residential heating and cooking. We did have a problem getting a tank valve fixed as that service is not as commonly available. Dual fuel generators eliminate that "what if" condition.

So "happy" depends on what you need to be satisfied. Note - quiet makes other folks happy. No AC at the wrong time can pack you up and send you home. For the determined RVer, it just sends you down the road to a cooler climate or a campground with full hookups.

As with most RV compromises, to know thy self is the starting point. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:20 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I bought this three or four years ago, I use it quite a bit.. and like it.

https://www.yamahagenerators.com/Yam...SABEgKUWvD_BwE

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:15 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The Honda 2200 is a great choice IF you never want A/C.
I don't understand the advantage of a 1000w Genny since the 2000 is fairly light already. Keep in mind the fuel tank is under 1 gal. so you'll be refilling it more often.
I guess people like to see how little they can get by with.

OBTW: the term '30 amp service' does not apply with a 2000 w. or even a 3000 w. generator. I think the running watts of my EU3000is is 2600. (30 amps requires 3600 w.)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
There's a young YouTube couple who boondocks all the time and does "How To" posts. This week they converted their Honda 2200 to propane, explaining since they boondock, they run the WH on propane, the Fridge on propane, and the furnace, obviously, and their truck is diesel so they wouldn't need any gasoline.
I couldn't help but wonder if they managed to run out of propane, they had no more resources to fall back on. I kinda like "plan B".
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote