Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Dallas , Oregon
Generator

We have a 19ft Bambi and would like to purchase a quiet generator for boondocking.
We were looking at a Honda EU2000i Inverter Generator....Is this a smart buy?? We realize it wont run the AC but hope to not need AC much.
rozhadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
My advice is to look at the Yamaha 2400 iHSC. Compare it to the Honda 2000. It was tested and rated in a comparison of generators and came out the champ. It costs more for a reason- more power, designed for motors (starting) with capacitor temp overload, direct drive versus, belt driven, has fuel gauge, available in tri-fuel (propane, gas, natural gas) versions, has longer life rating than Honda by Federal testing, etc, etc. Depending on what AC you have it will run that too. My 11,000 BTU unit works fine with it. I ordered the tri-fuel model and it works on my propane tank too. The #1 problem with generators is gummed carbs from old gasoline and occasional use. This is even more an issue with corn fuel ethanol. If you order from a Yamaha dealer WITH the conversion done by them, it is warranted. You can do it yourself too. As far as noise, they are about equal according to the test. The Honda was reported as quieter at an idle with no load but loaded it was louder. The Yamaha, quieter under a load than Honda. The ONLY negative I have ever heard is that it weighs about 25lbs more than the Honda but the extra power is nice in a single running unit. So, there ya go.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I, too, would like to purchase a generator. Is there a big one that can run a 50 amp trailer, but still stow in the bed of the pickup under a tonneau cover?
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I, too, would like to purchase a generator. Is there a big one that can run a 50 amp trailer, but still stow in the bed of the pickup under a tonneau cover?
You might consider purchasing two Honda EU2000 generators; you can get them with a kit that allows you to run both in sync to provide double the output to a single shore power cord.

This has some advantages:
1 - When you only need one, only use one; only use both when you need both. Generators work best when operating between 50% and 75% of their rated load. Running a larger generator at idle when you don't have much load isn't the best strategy for the longevity of the gasoline engine.
2 - Two smaller generators will be easier to load and unload than one larger generator, due to the lighter weight of each generator.
3 - Backup. If for some reason one won't start, the other might, and you'll still be able to operate at lower capacity until you can repair the one that doesn't start.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We went with two Honda 2000s (one regular and one Companion) for the simple reasons of weight and flexibility (plus we have 4000w when paralleled, which is enough to do everything). We bought the Companion first and the Regular model 18 mo later after we decided we really did need to have two for those times when AC is necessary. That having been said, we have friends who are completely happy with the Yamaha 2400w, but they can lift more than I can! Both Hondas and Yamahas are great machines.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
We like our Honda twin eu2000s. We carry only one when AC is not needed, take both when we need AC.

I also have the extended run gasoline tank. It is a handy way to carry fuel and have extended run times.

I do keep stabil fuel additive in my fuel supply, and make it a point to buy ethanol free fuel.

Over the winter, I drain the fuel tanks and run the generators out of fuel.

I do this to most of my small engines and don't have fouled carb trouble.

I have entertained propane conversion, but have not seen real proof that handling propane cylinders is any easier than gasoline tanks. Changing 30# cylinders on the tongue is a pain, too.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

We have had our Honda 2000i for 5 years, have used it about 200 hours now with no problems. As recommended by others I use Stabil (a fuel additive) and run the generator at least 15 minutes once per month and have had no problems with the the gasoline gumming up. I always have gasoline in the genny's tank, leave it in my garage in case of power outages. It runs about 7 hours on the generator's own gas tank when set on 'eco'. You can take an empty gas can along with you and fill it up right before going into the camp site if concerned about carrying gasoline with you.

It is nice and quiet in the campground, keeps the trailer battery's charged nicely. Our trailer is stored in a lot with no power, gen comes in handy there. If I run the gen for two hours per month the trailer battery's stay sufficiently charged.

Hope this helps, Pat
Old 05-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
A Honda 2000 would be a good choice as well as the Yamaha 2000. If you have a 11,000 Btuh AC unit you can even use it with the AC. If a 13,500 btuh, then probably the Yamaha 2400 watt one is a better choice. If you don't care about the AC, the 2000 watt versions are fine.

A good friend is off grid at his home, using solar mostly but some generator use in the winter. He recently replaced his Honda 2000 with a Yamaha 2000, but the Honda did have over 5000 hours on it, and it still runs well, but uses a little oil. They both are good machines.

I personally have a Honda 1000 and a Honda 3000. Both have been very reliable.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:48 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
A generator, or in the case of wanting additional power for A/C, and running them in parrallel which is not a complicated deal, you plug in a set of wires that comes with the companion. I agree with Protag, TB, Jdal and others on the set of Honda generators for the reasons they gave. I have the two and they have run flawlessly for several years. I too use a stablization additive in the gas, but I start them once a month over the winter versus draining them. I use them to run power tools when working around the acerage where there isn't any power.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:21 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Dallas , Oregon
Thanks everyone for all the great advice!!!! VERY HELPFUL!!! We will check out getting a Yahmaha 2400 iHSC or a companion generator for the Honda EU2000i if we go for the Honda....We have an 11,000 Btu AC for our 19ft International Bambi...
Thanks for all the reminders about the fuel gumming up in a generator....First thing tomorrow morn I will go out and start up our HOME generator,,gooodness! it has been months.....
Cant wait to Boondock. Generator for the Tin Sub is next on the List....
rozhadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:02 AM   #11
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
I do quite a bit of boon docking...I use a small 4 stroke Coleman generator to charge my battery my buddy has the even smaller 2 stroke Coleman.

They are not that loud and hard to beat for a little over a hundred bucks.
LFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:05 AM   #12
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by rozhadley View Post
Thanks for all the reminders about the fuel gumming up in a generator....First thing tomorrow morn I will go out and start up our HOME generator,,gooodness! it has been months.....
For years I've used only Amoco then BP premium white gas in all my small engines without any additives and knock on wood I haven't had a fuel system problem in 20 plus years.
LFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:43 AM   #13
Rivet Master

We have the Honda 2000. We never run our air when boondocking. The extra weight of the bigger generator is the deal killer. My back aches with the thought of lugging it around.
Gummed up carburetors are easy to prevent. When you are finished using the generator and plan to store it for a while, run it out of fuel. Wait you are not done yet. There is a drain screw (medium size flat blade) on the bottom of the carburetor, open it and the little bit of fuel will drain out through the plastic hose onto the ground. If you are confused, it is explained in the owners' manual. With nothing in the carb, it will not gum up. A few extra pulls on the starter with the choke on will get it going next time.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Beaumont , Texas
If you do not plan to run AC the Honda 1000 will do everything that 2000 will. 1000 is better choice in such a case.
bovk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #15
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Roz, I've been using a Yamaha 1000 for about ten years. Great little unit, quiet on ECO mode. Don't run your refer on AC if you want it to run on ECO mode. The heater takes a bit of juice. Also, be careful about leaving fuel in it when stored. All of these (Honda and Yamaha) small generators can get gummed carburetors in a short period of time. I drain and run my generator dry before storing. Use Stabil, too.

Love your plates!
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Beaumont , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drathaar View Post
Roz, I've been using a Yamaha 1000 for about ten years. Great little unit, quiet on ECO mode. Don't run your refer on AC if you want it to run on ECO mode. The heater takes a bit of juice. Also, be careful about leaving fuel in it when stored. All of these (Honda and Yamaha) small generators can get gummed carburetors in a short period of time. I drain and run my generator dry before storing. Use Stabil, too.

Love your plates!
+1
And rejet it at over 7-8 kfeet, it will run cleaner
bovk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
As to generators... the new Airstreams with two A/C units require 50 Amp service. Has anyone experience with the Yamaha Inverter EF6300iSDE? It will power early the two A/C units plus whatever. At 200 lbs. it would be in the bed of the pickup, mounted permanently sort of. A nice feature is remote starting. And, with a 20 gal fuel cell which can be used for a tank to refill with a pump, one can be out boondocking for a long time.

Any thoughts?
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:56 AM   #18

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Covina , California
Yamaha EF6300iSDE

I bought this big inverting generator when my parallel combination of two Yamaha EF2000iS wouldn't run my single AC unit at altitude (2013 23D Flying Cloud). That's one thing to worry about with the generators: they supposedly lose 3% of their output per 1000 feet. I found this out after I bought the pair, and when I did a quick calculation of all the places we go, we'd be unable to run our AC unit anywhere!!! (we're usually boondocking in higher elevation areas...7K and up...except the beach, and who runs an AC unit at the beach?!)

I haven't gone back and tried the AC unit again since getting the "big boy", but I should have plenty of margin, now. You should be fine with that mounted in your pickup. It's a little hard shlepping it around (200lbs, dry).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
As to generators... the new Airstreams with two A/C units require 50 Amp service. Has anyone experience with the Yamaha Inverter EF6300iSDE? It will power early the two A/C units plus whatever. At 200 lbs. it would be in the bed of the pickup, mounted permanently sort of. A nice feature is remote starting. And, with a 20 gal fuel cell which can be used for a tank to refill with a pump, one can be out boondocking for a long time.

Any thoughts?
trogstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:21 AM   #19
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
If you have a microwave or use a toaster, coffee maker, hair dryer, etc., you might find that the Honda 2000 is worth the extra bucks over a 1000.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:37 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozhadley View Post
We have a 19ft Bambi and would like to purchase a quiet generator for boondocking.
We were looking at a Honda EU2000i Inverter Generator....Is this a smart buy?? We realize it wont run the AC but hope to not need AC much.
Yes.
I have one. It has run flawlessly for 5 years and lots of hours. I change the oil once a year and have changed the spark plug once. I drain the fuel when I am not using it for a month or more. This involves running out the gas and draining the float bowl by turning a screw on the bottom of the carb. There is factory service most anywhere.
We hunt in Colorado in the fall and are off the grid for a month. Temperatures are frequently below freezing at night. The batteries would be dead in a day were it not for the generator and solar charger. For hard core boondocking, you need both.
Yamahas have a good reputation and appear similar to the Honda.
There is a Chinese knockoff that looks like a Honda for half the price. You are on own as far as service. For a hard core user like myself, it is worth paying up for quality.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote