Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-14-2008, 06:46 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Gasoline IS STILL CHEAP for Rockdocking

I am hearing from friends with trailers that the summer potential of $4.00 a gallon for gasoline is going to put them in their yards, raking the grass and pulling weeds...

There ARE benefits from higher gasoline prices:

(1) Fewer people on the highways.
(2) More deals at RV Parks with fewer customers
(3) More spaces to be found in popular National Forest camp grounds
(4) National Park traffic will be reduced... at first
(5) Nobody camped on BLM or National Forest "Rockdocking" country

Savings using your Airstream:

(1) No hotel or motel expenses
(2) No car rental expenses and GASOLINE
(3) No airplane tickets and surcharges, standing in lines
(4) No boarding for your pets
(5) No home air conditioning, cooking, water or other utility use
(6) No depreciation of your AS just sitting at the storage park

When you calculate your expenses of traveling without a trailer and with a trailer, you will be surprised at the savings using your trailer. I have learned several excellent points for my Rockdocking back country adventures.

Rockdocking Savings:

(1) Plan in advance your route from A to point B to point C, etc.
(2) Do NOT haul a full fresh water tank until near destination
(3) Sort out the excess weight not needed for THIS TRIP
(4) Adjust your tire pressure to maximum rolling pressures
(5) Driving UP costs for fuel. Returning DOWN saves fuel mileage.
(6) Prepare your own meals versus dining out (if you are so lucky)
(7) Life is too short. Make the best of your health. NOW!
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
All great point! We will be out camping this spring and summer!
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Good points, perspective and post.
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
I like the way you think! Karma to you!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
While I like the point you make and your way of thinking, high gas prices have not deterred anyone here locally from a recent poll in the city. It may however have a greater effect on other trailering familes.

Steve
Old 03-14-2008, 08:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund
Actually, what we're seeing is not a reduction in customers, but rather a shift: Folks who used to drive past "us" (meaning: New Mexico) to go to points well beyond now stop short; and folks who used to stay just a couple of days and then move on are asking to stay longer.

My suspicion is that the real impact will be on campgrounds at the end of the line, so to speak: Places like Alaska, heretofore visited by folks from Canada and the lower 48, will see the drop.

For us, well, we'll pretty much do the same as everybody else: Tighten the belt a bit, don't plan to go quite as far, move around a bit less. But stop traveling? No way!

Lynn
Old 03-14-2008, 11:35 PM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Over the past few years we've seen a reduction in the number of campers in some of the destination campgrounds. Door County Wisconsin was one locale where it was difficult to get into some of the private campgrounds during the fall. I've seen almost a 50% reduction in the number of sites occupied in September.

I've seen the same thing in Branson also where the fall festival at Silver Dollar City used to fill the nearby campgrounds. It was not unusual to find my favorite campground completely booked solid over the early October weekends. Again finding the last few years anywhere from 40-60% of the campground empty.

Many of you remember the Branson rally last fall where those of us with Good Sam cards got $15 full hookup sites. I think a lot of the campgrounds are hurting and the occupancy rate and discounted sites are good indications that folks have cut back on some destinations.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Over the past couple of months, we have planned, singed up and paid the CG fees for the trips we are taking. One for a commitment to get out and enjoy life and secondary to lessen the blow when the date arrives. Need only groceries and fuel expenses.

It may be time or very likely past due to let our government officials know of our growing displeasure. On top of the oil companies the Fed is making a killin in taxs....
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:45 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Excellent post. I figure if I stayed out for 80 days to cover southern california from michigan doing the planes hotels and rental cars alongside the cost and health factors of eating out daily, the savings is about 100.00/ day. To be honest burning e85 helped big time as well. I traveled like the above for 20 years to get home for the family. Now, I do the trips, get them over and come home. I hate planes, hotels and most restaurants. Is it perfect? No, but I will not go back.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:23 AM   #10
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Don't jump the gun too soon!

With the advent of the mass media and the Interrnet there are a lot of scams out there.

The Stock Market has always been based on the investers perception of the stock in mind. Everyone realizes that they will never be able to sell the stock of a bankrupt company, and they also realize that there may be no advance warning of a failing company.

We are bombarded daily on the dangers or benefits of this and that. Like Oats, Fats, lead in fish, ect. I worked for more than thirty years in a building where the asbestos floated through the air and had to be dusted off the equipment each morning. Yet, I know of no one with Mezotheleoma. It seams that brake pad workers and the like have all the problems. I could mention some really big scams, but the true believers get very upset when you expose them.

The stock market is down and the investers that would usually put their money in stocks have switched to Oil Futures. They have driven the price up and up. I don't think it will last. Many people and companies are cutting back and I think it will crash and they will lose a lot of money in the long run. At least I hope so.

It was just two years ago when gas reached $3.00 a gallon and then plumeted and I was able to fill my bulk tank for $2.17 a gallon in the Spring. Right now all the attention paid to it is keeping it going. I think that it will eventually drop back to acceptable levels.

I guess what I am saying is, don't cancel your Summer plans just yet if you don't have to.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:02 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
I have both a Prius and, as the TV, an Expedition. One gets 10MPG towing and the other about 48MPG on average. We are planning a 4,000 mile, 20 to 30 day trip this Spring. I did some quick calculations comparing the Expedition with the Airstream against the Prius and hotels for a cost comparision.

Not even close. The Expedition/Airstream is way less expensive for this trip. Cost of hotels and food more than make up the difference on cost of gas. And this with the assumption no boondocking.

John
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Glenwood Springs, Colorado gasoline $$$

Driving east on I-70 through Colorado to our home in Roxborough Park, Colorado was a double event on May 26, 2008...

Crossing Colorado on an Interstate Highway 70 was event #1 with minor snow flurries, drizzle and fog.

Event #2 was the price of regular unleaded at the Conoco gas station in Glenwood Springs, Colorado... $4.17 for the Memorial Day Fuel Shortage in America Celebration. Thank you Glenwood Springs. I will remember your opportunity to stick it to American holiday drivers in the future...
Old 05-27-2008, 08:23 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Hmm, $4.17 - that's every day out here...
AIR #15800

2000 Safari SS 25'
Old 05-27-2008, 08:55 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Here is an interesting link I got by email.
It talks about buying an RV in the current market, and how you may actually save money by doing so. Interesting perspective.
Dave
RV Travel: Why high fuel prices could make RVing cheaper
AIR #15800

2000 Safari SS 25'
Old 05-28-2008, 09:04 AM   #15
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
I am hearing from friends with trailers that the summer potential of $4.00 a gallon for gasoline is going to put them in their yards, raking the grass and pulling weeds...

Savings using your Airstream:

(1) No hotel or motel expenses
(2) No car rental expenses and GASOLINE
(3) No airplane tickets and surcharges, standing in lines
(4) No boarding for your pets
(5) No home air conditioning, cooking, water or other utility use
(6) No depreciation of your AS just sitting at the storage park

When you calculate your expenses of traveling without a trailer and with a trailer, you will be surprised at the savings using your trailer. I have learned several excellent points for my Rockdocking back country adventures.

Rockdocking Savings:

(2) Do NOT haul a full fresh water tank until near destination
I have noticed a significant reduction in traffic in our area. Our small town used to be bumper 2 bumper at 5:00 on a weekday, not any more. I think you are not seeing teenagers out joy riding, folks out for a cruise, etc. While I am fortunate to bike to work most days, there are very few cars on the road when I head home from the office… (Kind of nice). We headed up North last weekend (New Hampshire) and I have to say, there was very little traffic on the highways also. So I guess there are some benefits to the increased cost of fuel.
It seems like Folks are booking longer stays at campgrounds rather than wandering around. I also have some friends that have booked “seasonal” sites (not for us…). Maybe next year we will pick a couple of favorite spots and stay for a week at each rather than the lengthy exploratory trips we do now…
When it costs me over $100 for a tank of diesel, it gets my attention. We are not changing any plans for this year, but next year? Who knows…at some point it is just not feasible to continue. I never thought we would reach that point in my lifetime. We have dreams of retiring early and setting out for months at a time on the road; will we still be able to do that? Not at $7-$8-$10 a gallon….it would be less expensive to get a hybrid and stay in hotels (yikes!). Let’s hope this all settles down soon, and we don’t have to worry too much about this…

I do have a question, when on the road how do you “fill your fresh tank closer to your destination”?
I have wondered about this…we usually travel with a full tank, what are likely places to fill up safely?
Many of the State parks, NF land, etc., have water available, but what does on do otherwise?

Thanx, Bill
Old 05-28-2008, 09:31 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
We'll be doing at least a weekend a month to area (within 150 miles) locations this year. I think the further we go away from the city, the less crowded it will be. Still planning a long trip in July. The higher fuel prices add to the cost of the trip, but it's only a few more dollars, really, and I'm now paying $5/gallon for diesel.
Another positive note on the few prices is that I've noticed that the big trucks have slowed way down. Good thing because I have, too!
We stayed home over Memorial Day to avoid crowds. I wonder if those who went out saw any reduction in the number of people who were camping?
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Potable Water on the Road

I have started to list gas stations and park offices in my gasoline log where I can fill my fresh water tank, while traveling. When we pull into a town to refuel, we ask if we can fill our fresh water tank. No water... next station. The only town I have had difficulty filling the fresh water tank was Payson, Arizona. I also plan never to go through the town again... They are conserving water, so tourists are part of their water problem, apparently.

If you are going to be away from civilization for a week or more, I have one important tip to pass on to you. When you fill your fresh water tank, bleed the air from the cold AND hot water lines. The big surprise will be the fresh water tank not taking any more water and it splashes out from the filler entry. You think you have "topped off the fresh water"... wrong! The HOT WATER tank will take another five to six gallons to prime the tank and lines. I run water from the tap into a plastic wash basin and toss the bled water into the grass or bush nearby. May as well get the old stale water flushed from the last trip, while you are priming the system!

Flying J truck stops seem to offer water at their auto and truck pumping stations. They often have RV dumps at no charge also. Rock Springs, Wyoming Flying J along I-80 is always a stop for us while in the SW Wyoming area. National Forest ranger offices have great water. BLM offices will have water. Chaco Canyon National Historical Park has excellent water at no charge. Once you get the hang of asking for fresh water, the clerks are surprised that someone wants fresh water. I tell them I need up to 30 gallons, so they do not think I have a tanker truck outside needing 1000 gallons. I then will buy ice, soft drinks, a newspaper from these stations as well.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:38 AM   #18
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
I have started to list gas stations and park offices in my gasoline log where I can fill my fresh water tank, while traveling. When we pull into a town to refuel, we ask if we can fill our fresh water tank. No water... next station. The only town I have had difficulty filling the fresh water tank was Payson, Arizona. I also plan never to go through the town again... They are conserving water, so tourists are part of their water problem, apparently.

If you are going to be away from civilization for a week or more, I have one important tip to pass on to you. When you fill your fresh water tank, bleed the air from the cold AND hot water lines. The big surprise will be the fresh water tank not taking any more water and it splashes out from the filler entry. You think you have "topped off the fresh water"... wrong! The HOT WATER tank will take another five to six gallons to prime the tank and lines. I run water from the tap into a plastic wash basin and toss the bled water into the grass or bush nearby. May as well get the old stale water flushed from the last trip, while you are priming the system!

Flying J truck stops seem to offer water at their auto and truck pumping stations. They often have RV dumps at no charge also. Rock Springs, Wyoming Flying J along I-80 is always a stop for us while in the SW Wyoming area. National Forest ranger offices have great water. BLM offices will have water. Chaco Canyon National Historical Park has excellent water at no charge. Once you get the hang of asking for fresh water, the clerks are surprised that someone wants fresh water. I tell them I need up to 30 gallons, so they do not think I have a tanker truck outside needing 1000 gallons. I then will buy ice, soft drinks, a newspaper from these stations as well.
Thanx Ray, maybe I will lighten my load, save some fuel, and starting asking for water closer to our destination!

Thanx again, Bill
Old 05-29-2008, 07:11 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Alton , Illinois
Ray Eklund: Couldn't agree more, except under rockdocking where you say driving UP costs and driving DOWN saves. Unfortunately, if we drive DOWN on the way out we have to drive UP on the way back and visa versa. The one is just a function of the other!
Brad Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:54 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
I agree. Airstreaming is still a good deal... We just got back from 7 nights in Yosemite. Counting gasoline and the campsite fee, we spent $50 a night, for a campsite right in Yosemite Valley. Beat that any other way! I spent $200 for gas and $140 for 7 nights of camping... not bad at all.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote