Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-03-2015, 07:51 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Howell , Michigan
Front Bed vs Rear Bed AS

Looking for some discussion on the pros and cons of a front bed versus a rear bed AS. Did some searches and didn't find anything. Does anyone have any thoughts. What do you prefer and why? Is one style better for boondocking versus a RV park?
jcrango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 07:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
When searching Airforms I usually go to Google and start my search there and include Airforums in the search string.

Here are some threads to start with.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...bed-62826.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...fb-131680.html

Kelvin
Old 12-03-2015, 07:59 AM   #3
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
There are arguments for either. I suggest you spend time at the dealer, and make the decision based on what feels right to you. There is no wrong decision here, just the one that best fits your needs.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Some folks like the lounge in the rear of the AS, some in the front. In my 25ft RTB, the main difference is mine has a larger bath room with a window but I lose about foot in the lounge area. As far as capacities they are identical.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
My Demo last summer was a 27 Front Bed and now we are using a 28 Rear Bed. There are things I like about both, I am not sure you can go wrong with either. At our site in Malibu last week the view from the front bed would have been nicer but here in Laguna the view is out the side so the 28 is nicer.

I like the large rear exterior storage in the 28 and separation between the living area and kitchen. Hitch weight is a ideal on the 28 a tad heavy on the 27 but that can be corrected if necessary. If I am sleeping with the windows open I like the bedroom in the rear further from the road.

I like the night stands in the 27 instead of closets beside the bed. The pantry in the 27 is nice but we have empty storage in the 28.

In the end my heart is not broken to use either they are both great.

In the 25 you trade a shorter sofa and a larger bath on the rear bed. Other wise very similar.

I likely just added to the confusion didn't I?

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:07 AM   #6
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Most of the arguments against the front bedroom are from people who camp in parks.

I feel the FB is ideal for our boondocking and dry camping lifestyle, because the view is always out the back.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
What was the deciding factor for us in getting a rear twin 25' was the rear outside storage compartment. The front twin has it in the front and access to it is impeded by the LP tanks.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:33 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
It's really a toss up, but if you want a "rule of thumb" I would propose that if you tend to visit private RV Parks, the rear bedroom model might be best because then you are sitting in your dinette facing the street and can see the action while the rear of your trailer (where the bedroom would be) likely faces some huge white wall created by the Class A or Fifth Wheeler right behind you. On the other hand, if you tend to stay in state or national parks or boon-dock, then the edge goes to the front bedroom floor plan because 99% of the time in those settings the view is out the back and you can it enjoy while sitting at your dinette.

Of course most people spend time in all different kinds of campgrounds so you will not always have the ideal floor plan for all situations.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
What was the deciding factor for us in getting a rear twin 25' was the rear outside storage compartment. The front twin has it in the front and access to it is impeded by the LP tanks.
Your very right, I failed to mention that in my comment but it played heavely in our decision. The rear outside locker is very large & convenient!
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:48 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cassopolis , Michigan
Airstream puts the outside locker(s) under the bed(s). We have a FB27 twin bed and the large front locker on this front bedroom unit is pretty useless because it's stuck behind the LP tanks, and it's nearly impossible to fit large items in there (lawn chairs, outdoor mat, bike wheels, etc).

The twin arrangement has two additional side lockers that are pretty handy, but shallow in the transverse direction and still can't hold big stuff. That's what our truck bed is used for.
biyak269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:49 AM   #11

2016 27' International
Charlottesville , Virginia
BoldAdventure, may I ask where those photos were taken? Stunning!
bugsyva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:05 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
Monrovia , California
My wife and I looked at both models when shopping for our 25' AS. As others have said, you really can't go wrong either way. But for us, we like the rear bed because it puts us a little further off the road in back-in campsites and puts the bedroom a little less in direct view of passers-by in campgrounds.
ckerrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:12 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Flip a coin, they both work well. The only choice between front bed or rear bed is in the 25's, so take a look at the other features of each, they may be more important. The FB 27's and RB 28's are the same size, quite different interiors, I would make my choice based on other features than looking out the window.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:14 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Provo , Utah
We chose the rear bedroom because when parked in a campground, I didn't want to walk out of my door and be looking at the guy next door's sewer connections.
Chuck Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:47 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
We wanted the smallest trailer with a queen bed that was open around three sides. The 23FB gave us this feature along with a 39gal water tank and good storage. Our 19' Bambi has the corner bed which is hard to make up, but we still really like how easy this trailer is to tow and park.

With that said, I do find that the entry door located towards the rear does mean that you may not be able to back in all the way to the stops in some national forest/park campgrounds, whereas with the door towards the front you can back all the way to the tires in most cases. This is the only disadvantage to the FB we have found, but all things considered, we really like the FB.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:06 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
My personal preference would be to have the living area in the back during the daytime and the bedroom in the back at night. Many of the areas we go to are backed up to a lake, river, stream, or some other cool view. For that reason I think it would be cool to have the living area in the back. At the same time, I really enjoy the privacy of having our bedroom in the back of the trailer. Ultimately, we decided we wanted the extra room of the 30' trailer and the whole front view vs. back view got pushed to the back burner. I think the 25 is the only one that gives you the option to choose anyway. If you decide on any other size trailer you are sort of stuck with what they offer. If you decide a 25 is the perfect size, then I could see this being a tough decision.
Echelon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:49 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
My thoughts are about noisy gas/diesel trucks in campgrounds. If you have a front bedroom you have to listen to the XXX who drive in the campground at O dark 30 with their noisy diesel or gas trucks or worse start them at 5 AM to let them "warm up" while they get ready to leave. That's why I would choose a rear bedroom.
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
hamiltonmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:14 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
We chose the 25FB even though I originally wanted the rear bed for privacy reasons. The reason? A larger, lighter living area and the great views from many campsites. With the 25' front bed you gain a big additional living room window. You lose a window and room in the bathroom. It was worth the trade-off for us. Our living space is quiet, bright, and beautiful. I spend more time in the living area than the bathroom.

Privacy in the front bed hasn't been a great problem. We shut the blinds and shades. And we can't predict where noise will come from. It could be from someone's campfire party behind us.

Whatever you choose, you'll love it.
Outdoors4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:17 PM   #19
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
This threads discussion so far has proved my point. This thread is in the boondocking section. And it's easier to point the back of your Airstream at your view than it is to point the front of your Airstream when you are boondocking. Road noise isn't an issue when boondocking.

No roads or road noise here

or here

or here

So those are my reasons. I would comment that I find the front storage compartment adequate for our use. I keep all of my tools and service items there. Chairs are stored inside the Airstream between moves.

People tend to like what they have. But I feel a little justified in the view out the back opinion on the subject of Boondocking. Cheers.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:22 PM   #20
Rivet Master

It depends on the campsite, or how/where you camp

You can back up a trailer up to the tree line. If you have a rear bedroom, you get more privacy, morning shade, and quiet. I don't need a view when it's dark or I am sleeping.

I like my trailer floor plan. Rear bath, front dinette/bed. I like having the toilet away from the bed.

The view????? Do I need a view??? If I am in my camper I am cooking, showering, going to the bathroom , or sleeping. I can't see myself, sitting in the camper looking out. ( My trailer is small and I eat outside )

Most of the time I camp when the weather is nice. I hang outside anyway.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote