Old 12-03-2015, 04:54 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
On the 25', only the rear bedroom gives you the option of having both a conventional oven and a microwave.

Front bed, it's one or the other, can't have both.

Greg

Old 12-03-2015, 05:49 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
I always find it odd when people say the view is better out the back when they are boon docking. I think I need to understand this better. Perhaps my ignorance lies in the fact that boon docking is mostly illegal in Canada, so my experience is in a variety of campgrounds -- rustic and full-service. BoldAdventure mostly showed pictures of the trailer sitting in an open space. Wouldn't the view be the same on all four side of the trailer? Also, if you have so much space in that type of situation, wouldn't you just orient your trailer to the best view? Back in, pull in, turn around, go sideways? I don't get the rationale that the back has the "view." (I'm with the crowd that is mostly outside anyway).

On the other hand, our current Airstream is 23 feet, so we often have room to manoeuvre in a campground. We sometimes pull straight in, unhitch, and back the truck out around the trailer, or back in.

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod" https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
2002 Chinook Destiny | 1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler"
WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:53 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
With the 25', having the RB means you can put your "stuff" in the outside storage that's under the beds. This will help lighten the weight on the hitch, which already is very heavy.

Having said that, mine will be a FB--the wife didn't want to be sitting in the lounge and looking at the back of the TV. I surrendered practicality to esthetics.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:46 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Middleton , Idaho
"On the 25', only the rear bedroom gives you the option of having both a conventional oven and a microwave.

Front bed, it's one or the other, can't have both."

That was the deciding factor for us buying a 25RB. We like the option of having a quick microwave meal while on the road, and not storing a portable microwave somewhere. We just run the power cord to the Honda which is either in the back of the cap, or sometimes on a rack on the front of the truck.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:29 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolerama View Post
I always find it odd when people say the view is better out the back when they are boon docking. I think I need to understand this better. Perhaps my ignorance lies in the fact that boon docking is mostly illegal in Canada, so my experience is in a variety of campgrounds -- rustic and full-service. BoldAdventure mostly showed pictures of the trailer sitting in an open space. Wouldn't the view be the same on all four side of the trailer? Also, if you have so much space in that type of situation, wouldn't you just orient your trailer to the best view? Back in, pull in, turn around, go sideways? I don't get the rationale that the back has the "view." (I'm with the crowd that is mostly outside anyway).
You raise a good question with respect to boon docking and 360 panoramas. Boon docking in a wide open area such as shown in some of BoldAdventure's pictures would certainly beg the question of which is the best view. However, for whatever reason, it has been our experience that in many cases the available approaches to a particular spot are such that when one backs in, the best view is out the back and rarely out the front. A woodland, river, creek, lake or ocean situation comes to mind as an example of when the 360 panorama might not be available. Also, virtually all public (e.g., National Park, State Park and the like) organized campgrounds will have the best view out the back of the site. Finally, remember, when someone says the best view is usually out the back, that is not always the case, just seems to be so the majority of the time. Conversely, in many if not most private campgrounds, the view out the back is often that of your neighbors humongous Class A or Fifth Wheel in which case the "rear view" is a total bust.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:05 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
When we were looking for a preowned 25 we didn't care about whether the door was in the rear or front, bedroom front or back, we just wanted a well cared for unit and we couldn't travel all over the country looking and we ended up with our 2008 Classic 25fb which has the microwave and oven.

If you find you are using RV Park pull through campsites it doesn't matter if you have rear or front bedroom, the view probably sucks most of the time at either end.

Most of the time we look for back in sites on the outer perimeter of a campground loop road.

Kelvin
Old 12-04-2015, 12:23 PM   #35

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have had two 25 foot Airstreams. We started with a 2005 25FB that we purchased new. We spent almost 1,400 nights in that trailer. The earlier statement about 25FB's not having a suicide door is not entirely correct. The very early 25FB's (2005 was the first year) did, in fact, have a rear-hinged door. We came to like the rear-hinged door on Old Lucy and wish that New Lucy had this configuration. I have included a photo showing Old Lucy's rear-hinged door configuration.

In 2014 when were were shopping for our 2015 25FB, we seriously considered going to the rear bedroom model, and looked at several of these side-by-side with the front bedroom configuration.

We ultimately decided to go with the FB, and purchased New Lucy, which is a 2015 Flying Cloud 25FB Twin. These are the reasons that we decided to go with the Front Bedroom model.

1. It has been our camping experience that if you do have a view at a campsite, it is more often at the back of the trailer. We also noticed when sitting in a rear bedroom model that the view always included the LP tanks. To further test our theory, we backed our tow vehicle to the front of a 25RB. We found that our tow vehicle blocked almost all view from the dinette window. We often stay hooked up when traveling and boondocking. This makes the RB viewing situation less than optimal. We also like our colorful rear awning. We feel that it enhances the view from our dinette seating.

2. The bathroom in the 25RB is a bit larger, but it lacks the big mirror, and I am not real fond of a window in the bathroom.

3. We don't care for the microwave above the refrigerator. We had a 23FB for a short time with the microwave up at the ceiling, and found it precarious to use. When we bought New Lucy we got her with the microwave/convection option.

When all was said and done, we felt more comfortable with the FB. It was more right for us. Th RB is also a very livable configuration, it was just that we prefer the FB.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0021.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	253303  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 01:02 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We compared the 25 RB and 25 FB side by side and preferred everything about the RB except the small bathroom mirror, so we bought it and added a mirror. Also flipped the bathroom door over so it opens to the bedroom.

As mentioned earlier, if RV parks are among your travel venues the rear view can be a total bust, never had a bad view from our front living room, and no one else sees in thanks to the shaded rock guards shielding it.

A rubber door stop slipped under the outside entrance grab bar ends any concerns about the door opening when going down the road.

FB or RB, you can't go wrong which is why owners of each like what they have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2523.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	253304  

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 03:38 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Reading about the front vs. rear views has had me thinking about the views we've had. I can't say there's a clear winner for us. Sometimes better out the front, sometimes the back, sometimes neither. And I'm not sure which is preferable- a view while sitting at the dinette or waking up to one out the bedroom window.

In the end I realize that the view from the trailer isn't really a concern for us. We are outside doing things all day and we are in the trailer just to cook, eat and sleep. So views from are nice, but not really a concern.

But that's just us.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:23 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
We have had the RB on both of our Airstreams and have loved our travels. I guess I am like many on this thread which spend most of our time outside but when we are inside, I feel that it has been fairly evenly split which end has the best views. I will note this though. In those times we have been backed up to a lake or stream or river, what has really been nice, perhaps more than the view is sleeping with the windows open listening to the stream and the big benefit, the coolness that comes off of the water. It really helps keeping us cool in the evening making sleeping the best.

Good luck in your decision. Either way, FB or RB I am sure you will enjoy your times in the Airstream.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:05 PM   #39

2014 25' FB International
Westcliffe , Colorado
Pros and cons

We've owned both options. The main advantage of the rear door and dining for us has been being away from traffic in the park during the times we're hanging out in the back end, usually with a nicer view.

The main advantage of front door in the dining area is that when using a level on the kitchen counter we can speak to each other about the leveling process WITHOUT YELLING to the other person who is 25' away!
Old 12-06-2015, 02:24 PM   #40

2008 27' Classic FB
Hillsdale , New Jersey
Chose Front Bedroom

We chose front bedroom in our 27 classic fb twin, so while sleeping we could keep an eye and ear on our stuff in the bed of our truck. Plus the view from the dinette while eating is so relaxing.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:40 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
1969 23' Safari
Redgranite , Wisconsin
Question: How many with front bed model ever really use the expanse of windows or do you see them as a privacy issue? If connected to TV or facing people walking by do the curtains and rock shield stay closed -especially with proximity to shower? If disconnected and boon docking I can see the FB as a good place to hang out but for most use I'd expect fewer windows up front would equal lower COST, slightly better insulation, increased privacy and lower potential for rock damage. Your thoughts?
Old 12-09-2015, 11:41 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Out first Airstream was a 25FB. Getting things out from under the bed from the side of the trailer was a challenge for me with short arms. The cross frame bed was an annoyance for us.

We decided to get the wooden interior of the 27FB Classic with twin beds. The issues we had with the 25FB dinette space were the same for the 27FB as they are exactly the same size for about ten feet or so. We changed the order to the 31' Classic and we are "both" happy.

We went with the 23D for our small trailer as we thought the floor plan was better for our lifestyle and there is a nice view wrap around window in the front. Making the bed is a challenge, but we sleep well on it. The 23D floor plan allowed us to place all the solar system equipment under the street side sofa and dinette furniture without altering their appearance or loosing any storage space. The 23FB floor plan would have been problematic for the solar system installation, especially the wire runs of big battery cable and it had a heavier tongue weight.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote