Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2008, 11:57 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
orlando , New Mexico, Utah, Colorado
Forest Road 313, Coyote Ranger District, NM

While visiting the Coyote Ranger Station (NM 67) I saw a nice poster of an Indian cliff House. I went to find it, and drove right by the turn, the Ranger Station was closed so I was unable to ask for directions.

I went back a week later and received directions at the station, and being a rainy weekend I was able to 4by close to it.

Here are some pictures.

If you go, take 67 to 112, turn left onto Forest Road 313. There is a oil/gas maintenance kind of depot on the right as you turn from 112. When you go by it, veer to the right after a cattle guard, you'll basically pass an unused airstrip on the right and two large tanks up on a small hill on the left. Keep going and as the road veers to the left, you'll pass a green natural gas shed on your right. Start to look for a place to camp off the road on the right, there is very poor camping at this site. I saw only one place on the right there that provided decent shade and a degree of levelness.

If you go to the end of the spur, you arrive at a loop with an active gas well, not a good place for camping, flammable and the well make noises like the mouth to Hades, or a flatulent dragon. But it is a place to turn around when you leave.

So far is doesn't sound so great. But the hiking and the cliff house are excellent backdrops for a great weekend!

It's an excellent place for Roaming Rovers, hiking as hard core as you want to go and very few if any other visitors. If you enjoy photography, this is area provides some really nice opportunities! The trail to the cliff house is pretty easy until you reach the base of the canyon, then there is a series of switchback climbing until you reach the main surviving structure.

In rain, a 4x4 is helpful. My second day I would have been stuck in a 2x4.

Some note on taking dogs into National Forest-
1. Make sure they have water, mine carry water into the forest, and they drink it all!
2. Insure they will will break off a chase of wild animals or cattle when commanded. Ruidoso (Philadelphia Canyon area) is full of lost camper dogs. They won't live long without food, and mountain lions.
3. A dog first aid kit is a good idea, include a few boots and a sock for any serious foot injuries.
4. walk lightly on some trails or learn to fly, haha!

I hope to see you there, there is a lot to explore!

jac
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cliffhouse.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	472.3 KB
ID:	65717   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02789.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	414.6 KB
ID:	65718  

Name:	DSC02795.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	448.1 KB
ID:	65719   Click image for larger version

Name:	abs1.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	340.3 KB
ID:	65720  

Name:	leica.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	496.5 KB
ID:	65721  

WBCCI #3841
jacarape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Thanks for sharing your explorations. But for hikers and adventurers like you, many of us who don't have health or skills to venture so far off the paved path would miss out on so much. Beautiful shot of the ruin. And your dog, of course! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:12 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
Very nice pictures and good advice. Is that a Leica rangefinder film camera?
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
orlando , New Mexico, Utah, Colorado
Hi dmreilly, it's an MP, loaded with Kodachrome 64. THe mounted lens is a 90mm Elmarit-M, I used a 28mm for most of the day's shooting. Camping in an icon, a Leica seems like a good companion, Kodachrome is another icon. The tripod is a Gitzo carbon fiber with a Really Right Stuff ballhead. These are excellent for hiking, a nice light weight combo. The photos were snapped with a digital p&s, very covienent but as Airstreamers can appreciate, it just misses feeling. I never saw a thread titled "I love my Nikon DXX", but there are many I love my Leica M3, M4, M4-P, M6, MP, M7 threads out there. I also like an old Contax IIIa, my favorite lens there is the old year 50s Zeiss Biogon 35/2.8. Another favorite is the old Zeiss 21mm/4.5. Sadly my IIIa shutter is starting to hang at higher speeds and my eyes can't handle the dim range finder patch so it's been sitting. No mega pixels for me!

Thank you for the compliment on the snaps, I hope that you

WBCCI #3841
jacarape is offline   Reply With Quote