Old 10-31-2009, 07:48 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
Wondering about Adirondacks - Flyfishing?

I did not make it out to MT or WY yet. However the Adirondacks are only five (5) hours away...Any thoughts for that area?
Many thanks,

WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:13 AM   #30
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
All of this talk of flyfishing and boondocking is making my fingers twitch. Can any of you previous posters provide any updates on the trips you mentioned? I like to keep up on all of the great places to stay and fish.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:10 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1955 22' Safari
Butte , Montana
More Montana River info

Montana is a great place for flyfishing because the Continental Divide runs through it. East of the divide, at Three Forks,MT., The Madison, Jefferson, and Gallitan rivers converge to create the Missouri river. West of the Divide, you have the Clark fork, Blackfoot, Flathead, Swan, Thompson etc. that eventually become the Columbia River. The point is there are alot of awesome rivers that aren't that far from each other. I reccomend reading "Undaunted Courage" by Ambrose (a great book) that documents the Lewis & Clark journey.

Other tributaries of the Missouri include the Yellowstone and Bighorn rivers (Great Rivers). But then there are the tributaries of the tributaries. At Twin Bridges, MT., the Big Hole, Beaverhead, and Ruby rivers converge to create the Jefferson river. You get the idea.

As for boondocking, many of the river fishing access areas allow camping. Most of the rivers have fishing access every 7-10 miles. Many of these spots have large cottonwood shade trees, picnic table, and fire ring, and central pit outhouse. Nightly fee is usually $6. To get to the fishing access, you will want to get off the Interstate and use the frontage roads.

The closest river to me is the Big hole. It is 20 miles south of Butte on I-15. There are a few towns on the river such as Melrose, Wise River, Divide, Dewey. A town is defined as a bar with optional restaurant, hotel, or fly shop. Melrose & Wise River also have RV hookups.

The Yellowstone & Madison river begin In Yellowstone National Park before they flow into montana. You can camp & fish in the Park to start your trip. The Yellowstone river leaves the park at Gardiner, MT goes toward Livingston, MT. The Madison leaves the park at West Yellowstone, MT and goes toward Ennis, MT.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:30 PM   #32
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Thanks for all of the info WheelerImage. I'll bet all of these areas you mention are starting to feel the effects of the winter months and may even have a bit of that funny looking white stuff on the ground. Our flyfishing club just had Dan "Rooster" Leavens from the Stonefly Inn in Twin Bridges come and speak. He put on a great presentation. I'll get up that way for an extended trip one of these days and I'll be putting all of this great info to good use.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:25 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
This is the first year in many that Sam hasn't made to montana for fly fishing. She went to British Columbia instead. Next year we'll both be there (but I don't fish).

Oops, I just saw that she posted earlier.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:12 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1955 22' Safari
Butte , Montana
Flyfishing

Yes, It has been cold since it snowed on September 30. October is usually a good time on the river, but not this year. No fall color. The leaves just froze on the trees. The rivers around here have ice and slush on them. I guess that is why I was bored enough to write such a long post.

Scott
Old 11-24-2009, 10:23 AM   #35
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Well, sorry to hear the fishing has gone south but we all benefitted from your informative post so not a total loss.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:15 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Montana fly fishing

Hi everyone- I have lived in Montana and CO and I would suggest the spots along the Madison just outside of Bozeman/Gallatin Gateway, MT. They are right on the river.

Also, another great area for fly fishing that is beautiful is Rock Creek just outside of Philipsburgh, MT. You can't really camp along the creek but the town of P-burg is very cute.

Also - camping in the northern camp sites within Yellowstone and then visiting the Firehole river or Slough Creek in the Lamar Valley can't be beat. Slough Creek does attract grizzlies so have your bear spray and be alert when fishing there.

I am a bit of a fly fishing addict and am shopping for my airstream right now to support my habit - figure it will make it easier to get out and do what I love. Looking forward to learning on this forum!
Old 03-22-2010, 08:26 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
Welcome to the forum!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
Hi everyone- I have lived in Montana and CO and I would suggest the spots along the Madison just outside of Bozeman/Gallatin Gateway, MT. They are right on the river.

Also, another great area for fly fishing that is beautiful is Rock Creek just outside of Philipsburgh, MT. You can't really camp along the creek but the town of P-burg is very cute.

Also - camping in the northern camp sites within Yellowstone and then visiting the Firehole river or Slough Creek in the Lamar Valley can't be beat. Slough Creek does attract grizzlies so have your bear spray and be alert when fishing there.

I am a bit of a fly fishing addict and am shopping for my airstream right now to support my habit - figure it will make it easier to get out and do what I love. Looking forward to learning on this forum!
Welcome!!!

Don't feel bad about being a fly fishing addict -- I bought my AS to go fly fishing in MT. after a guided trip in 2003 did not happen due to logistics. I decided "hell no" when it did not work out. I am going when I want to fish; where I want to ---- not on someone else schedule.

Lin.
WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:03 AM   #38
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
.....I would suggest the spots along the Madison just outside of Bozeman/Gallatin Gateway, MT. They are right on the river.
AH NOW I see where I went wrong

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:33 AM   #39
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowldawg View Post
Not to change the thread but what are the laws concerning transporting guns ? I would like to take a 30-30 and my 20 ga with me when I go .I don't know where I'm going to be so I don't want to mail it to some destination.
I also don't want to end up in jail or fined
Put it in a locked case, unloaded. You will be fine.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:36 AM   #40
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelerimage View Post
Yes, It has been cold since it snowed on September 30. October is usually a good time on the river, but not this year. No fall color. The leaves just froze on the trees. The rivers around here have ice and slush on them. I guess that is why I was bored enough to write such a long post.

Scott
I went fly fishing on the Blackfoot in early October. The day started out in the high 40s by the time we left it was snowing on us.
The ice is disappearing from the rivers around Missoula. It's time to get to rod out and check the fly supply!

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:05 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Lots of good fly fishing here in BC. There is a lot so close to me, here in Vancouver, that I don't even need to take the trailer out. Hopefully next fall I'll be able to take a trip with the trailer over to the Island for some salmon fishing on the fly. Right now, I hit the local beaches for cutthroat trout. With all the fry emerging from the streams and rivers, the fishing is pretty good right now.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:28 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1955 22' Safari
Butte , Montana
More Montana River Boondocking

There is a nice campground below Lewis & Clark Caverns state park in southwest montana. This is along the Jefferson river near Three forks. If you're traveling east on I 90, exit at Cardwell, and get on the old 2 lane highway that parallels the Jefferson river. Campground is on the left. You can get back on I 90 at Three forks.