Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2008, 11:30 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThreeSeas
Hi All,
We are planning a trip to fish the Madison too. Is spring better than late fall?
Any suggestions would be appreciated. We have a thirty-two hour trip to get there but it will be well worth it.
Many thanks,

Lin & Mark
Is spring better than late fall? It all depends... I like them both.

It's better to define what you mean by spring and late fall, and put those dates into the context of West Yellowstone (the area around the upper and mid-Madison), because the spring and late fall season dates there may differ dramatically from what you have in mind.

I'd suggest that you call and talk to Craig Matthews about fishing the Madison. No one is better informed than him (and the others in his shop). Plus, the conditions can vary from year to year (depending to no small extent on winter snow pack), and when planning a trip such as yours it's best to get information first hand from a resident expert.

Here's an excerpt from their website:

We highly encourage you to call us at (406) 646-7642 or (406) 646-9365 with any questions you might have about Blue Ribbon Flies, fishing in Yellowstone , Montana , and Idaho , or fly fishing in general. We are here for you and love to talk fishing, so give us a ring! You can also contact us by: Email- brf@blueribbonflies.com or fax (406) 646-9045. If you are in the area please drop by at 305 Canyon Street, West Yellowstone, Montana 59758. We look forward to hearing from you.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:30 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Minneapolis , Minnesota
Fly Fishing and Airstreams

Although it's not boondocking, I stay at Cottonwood Camp on the Bighorn for a few weeks each Fall, when I return from my summers guiding in Alaska. I recently purchased my 69 Safari with the notion of using it in my guiding business and saving on motels and rentals. I'll be towing it to Montana in October.
SThorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:35 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Truckee , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen H
Fred,
I'm not the best stillwater guy in the world, I have not fished those lakes. There are so many closer to us. They all fish well at times our small lakes turn over late may and we have some good fishind in early June. If you want trophy fish I think there are better places in the lower 48, mainly because they are stocked. None of the lakes in our area have been stocked for 30 or 40 years,they all have 5 to maybe 8 lbs.Bows but most are in the 11 to 16'' range. Quesnel lake however has bows to 30+ lbs. Not easy to catch. You ,however, can do some sight fishing on the lake, I do during the stone fly hatch. To answer your question, our lodge is called Northern Lights Lodge I use to fish there when I was a kid and ended up buying it 11 yearsago It sits on the lake about 1 mile before it becomes Quesnel River. Northern Lights Lodge, Quesnel Lake, British Columbia. BC Fly Fishing Guides, Horsefly River, Quesnel River, Mitchell & Cariboo Rivers It is just a few miles up river from a very small village called Likely.

Good Fishing,
Al
Hi again Allen,
Yes all those lakes i mentioned (that i fished)are on the south side of Q.L. a world away from the north side (your location)

Last fall (Oct)i was probably very close to your lodge !!. I was scouting for a place to camp this coming fall where i could get my AS into . I spent the night in my camper at cedar point prov park on Q.L. as you know - very close to you. (likely) I need a base camp so this fall i can take the camper into rougher locations, after droping the AS. I have never fished in your area. I want to try Annette, Benny, Freshette, and Wolverine, as i have heard they are very good. You have probably fished these lakes. Can you tell me about them.
Fred
flyfishfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:36 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Evergreen , Colorado
Fred,
I like to fish Benny,you need to study this lake ,you can do some sight fishing on the far end. A good float tube is needed and there are Griz. on this lake and they are curious, never had a problem with them. If your in that area there are a couple of other lakes you can try,you need to cut through private land to get to the one and it does have trophy trout. If you are going to be up there when I am around I will be glade to show them to you,ether way if you need a small lake tube or what ever stop by the lodge and borrow it. If you want to email or call me I will give you more info.
Al
The web sight is nllodge.com
Allen H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:23 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Truckee , California
Hi Allen,
Thanks for the offer, I'll certainly take you up on it, will work it out so i can be in your area same time you are. I'd like to give you a call (better than typing ) and chat more about BC. Don't know which phone # to use to call you. You could e-mail it to me at ffred@pacbell.net or whatever you think is best.
Thanks, Fred
flyfishfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:50 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International CCD
Cheyenne , Wyoming
North Platte

Wow, I didn't see one post on Wyoming flyfishing. I would recomend heading to the North Platte river. there is excellent spots to stay at. Miracle Mile has plenty of boondocking and just down from the Grey Reef Dam there is is the "Outhouse Hole" which is fee free. Now that I have my Airstream (new owner Jan 08) I can't wait to head back up there and live the high life. Especially since I used to sleep in the back of my truck for years. Drop me a line if you want more info.
Blog
WyoRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:51 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Key Biscayne , Florida
Those of you who can't get enough flyfishing in during warmer seasons up north should remember that Florida has some outstanding flyfishing when other parts of this country resemble arctic tundra. You all know that all of those Airstreams winterized in your sheds need to find warmer climates.

Saltwater flyfishing is a much different experience than freshwater stream fishing but no less enjoyable. You can catch a 100+ pound tarpon on fly in full view of downtown Miami this time of year. Or, if you want to get away from the crowds and get out into the wilderness, I'd recommend a place called Flamingo, which you typically reach from Everglades National Park. You'll typically be more successful if you have a guide, but there are opportunities to access productive water by wading some places from land.

It's a fantastic experience to catch a giant trout on a tiny dry, as I can attest. But few things in fishing life match the thrill of hooking a giant tarpon on fly and then desperately trying to keep the fish from spooling you as it jumps several times.

So thaw out your Airstreams and come on down. If you need some advice on fishing in the Miami area, I can probably point you in the right direction.
Bonzai30b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:23 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1955 22' Safari
Butte , Montana
There are some great boondocking places on the Big Hole river in Montana. I spent last night on the river at near the Divide fishing access. There is also a place at Melrose, MT on the river and west of Wise River MT at the East bank fishing access. Lots of others too. Beautiful river & great fishing too. See pictures of the river at my website wheelerimage.com
wheelerimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:48 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
Wondering about Adirondacks - Flyfishing?

I did not make it out to MT or WY yet. However the Adirondacks are only five (5) hours away...Any thoughts for that area?
Many thanks,
WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:13 AM   #30
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
All of this talk of flyfishing and boondocking is making my fingers twitch. Can any of you previous posters provide any updates on the trips you mentioned? I like to keep up on all of the great places to stay and fish.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:10 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1955 22' Safari
Butte , Montana
More Montana River info

Montana is a great place for flyfishing because the Continental Divide runs through it. East of the divide, at Three Forks,MT., The Madison, Jefferson, and Gallitan rivers converge to create the Missouri river. West of the Divide, you have the Clark fork, Blackfoot, Flathead, Swan, Thompson etc. that eventually become the Columbia River. The point is there are alot of awesome rivers that aren't that far from each other. I reccomend reading "Undaunted Courage" by Ambrose (a great book) that documents the Lewis & Clark journey.

Other tributaries of the Missouri include the Yellowstone and Bighorn rivers (Great Rivers). But then there are the tributaries of the tributaries. At Twin Bridges, MT., the Big Hole, Beaverhead, and Ruby rivers converge to create the Jefferson river. You get the idea.

As for boondocking, many of the river fishing access areas allow camping. Most of the rivers have fishing access every 7-10 miles. Many of these spots have large cottonwood shade trees, picnic table, and fire ring, and central pit outhouse. Nightly fee is usually $6. To get to the fishing access, you will want to get off the Interstate and use the frontage roads.

The closest river to me is the Big hole. It is 20 miles south of Butte on I-15. There are a few towns on the river such as Melrose, Wise River, Divide, Dewey. A town is defined as a bar with optional restaurant, hotel, or fly shop. Melrose & Wise River also have RV hookups.

The Yellowstone & Madison river begin In Yellowstone National Park before they flow into montana. You can camp & fish in the Park to start your trip. The Yellowstone river leaves the park at Gardiner, MT goes toward Livingston, MT. The Madison leaves the park at West Yellowstone, MT and goes toward Ennis, MT.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:30 PM   #32
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Thanks for all of the info WheelerImage. I'll bet all of these areas you mention are starting to feel the effects of the winter months and may even have a bit of that funny looking white stuff on the ground. Our flyfishing club just had Dan "Rooster" Leavens from the Stonefly Inn in Twin Bridges come and speak. He put on a great presentation. I'll get up that way for an extended trip one of these days and I'll be putting all of this great info to good use.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:25 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
This is the first year in many that Sam hasn't made to montana for fly fishing. She went to British Columbia instead. Next year we'll both be there (but I don't fish).

Oops, I just saw that she posted earlier.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:12 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1955 22' Safari
Butte , Montana
Flyfishing

Yes, It has been cold since it snowed on September 30. October is usually a good time on the river, but not this year. No fall color. The leaves just froze on the trees. The rivers around here have ice and slush on them. I guess that is why I was bored enough to write such a long post.

Scott
Old 11-24-2009, 09:23 AM   #35
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Well, sorry to hear the fishing has gone south but we all benefitted from your informative post so not a total loss.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:15 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Montana fly fishing

Hi everyone- I have lived in Montana and CO and I would suggest the spots along the Madison just outside of Bozeman/Gallatin Gateway, MT. They are right on the river.

Also, another great area for fly fishing that is beautiful is Rock Creek just outside of Philipsburgh, MT. You can't really camp along the creek but the town of P-burg is very cute.

Also - camping in the northern camp sites within Yellowstone and then visiting the Firehole river or Slough Creek in the Lamar Valley can't be beat. Slough Creek does attract grizzlies so have your bear spray and be alert when fishing there.

I am a bit of a fly fishing addict and am shopping for my airstream right now to support my habit - figure it will make it easier to get out and do what I love. Looking forward to learning on this forum!
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:26 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
Welcome to the forum!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
Hi everyone- I have lived in Montana and CO and I would suggest the spots along the Madison just outside of Bozeman/Gallatin Gateway, MT. They are right on the river.

Also, another great area for fly fishing that is beautiful is Rock Creek just outside of Philipsburgh, MT. You can't really camp along the creek but the town of P-burg is very cute.

Also - camping in the northern camp sites within Yellowstone and then visiting the Firehole river or Slough Creek in the Lamar Valley can't be beat. Slough Creek does attract grizzlies so have your bear spray and be alert when fishing there.

I am a bit of a fly fishing addict and am shopping for my airstream right now to support my habit - figure it will make it easier to get out and do what I love. Looking forward to learning on this forum!
Welcome!!!

Don't feel bad about being a fly fishing addict -- I bought my AS to go fly fishing in MT. after a guided trip in 2003 did not happen due to logistics. I decided "hell no" when it did not work out. I am going when I want to fish; where I want to ---- not on someone else schedule.

Lin.
WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:03 AM   #38
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
.....I would suggest the spots along the Madison just outside of Bozeman/Gallatin Gateway, MT. They are right on the river.
AH NOW I see where I went wrong

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:33 AM   #39
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowldawg View Post
Not to change the thread but what are the laws concerning transporting guns ? I would like to take a 30-30 and my 20 ga with me when I go .I don't know where I'm going to be so I don't want to mail it to some destination.
I also don't want to end up in jail or fined
Put it in a locked case, unloaded. You will be fine.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:36 AM   #40
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelerimage View Post
Yes, It has been cold since it snowed on September 30. October is usually a good time on the river, but not this year. No fall color. The leaves just froze on the trees. The rivers around here have ice and slush on them. I guess that is why I was bored enough to write such a long post.

Scott
I went fly fishing on the Blackfoot in early October. The day started out in the high 40s by the time we left it was snowing on us.
The ice is disappearing from the rivers around Missoula. It's time to get to rod out and check the fly supply!

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote