Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
TetonStreamer

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Delaplane , Virginia
Florida - Panhandle to Keys

Planning a trip to Florida in April/May 2013. Would like to hear any and all comments about boon-docking along a route from the Panhandle, down the western side of the State to the Keys. Is it possible, if not any comments about "off the beaten path" places to stay on that route?
Old 11-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Go back a few pages in this boondocking section. You will find one under a heading of SOUTH cheap or free in Florida

It will show some options all around Fla. See how they fit into your route to the Keys. We stayed last March for a four days at Key West Naval Station. If you are military base eligible that's a good option. They are usually full in the regular sites but have a large overflow area and it was $10/night. I do remember the mention of a free area along the Tamiami trail, Rt. 41. The original poster seemed to have put a lot of time into this information and it seemed to be well thought out and organized.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Don't forget Florida State Parks have a reservation system on line but even if it shows full you can sometimes pull up to the front gate and get a site. Walmart in Florida has one of the highest no overnight parking anywhere near cities or resort areas. When you are far from tourist areas they are available along with Flying J, Loves, McDonalds, and Cracker barrel.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
There still a lot of snowbirds in Florida in April, so the campgrounds are pretty full. There are not a lot of places to park for free. You can follow route 19 down the west coast, The scenery is pretty nice with a lot of places to visit.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Don't try to boondock in the Keys (Monroe County). It is against the law, even with a business owner's permission. The local police and the sherif's department enforce the ordinance religiously. They will ticket you and send you packing if you are home or have your rig towed if you are not.

Just thought you ought to know,

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Not sure that I would put boondocking and Florida in the same sentence; I don't have any recommendations and am not sure there is much that would exist. The state parks are generally great, especially down the panhandle and the western side.

If you thinking about a little boating along the way, check out the "kayaks" thread, where Nick Crowhurst published a guide to kayaking on the Hidden Coast. Have not used this, but intend to as it looks fabulous, and may be of some interest in your travels.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PaddleHIddenCoast.pdf (2.28 MB, 112 views)
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #7

1991 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Perry , Florida
I live in the panhandle of Florida, and "free" spots are really limited in my area.There are plenty of woods , but they are all private hunt club lands.And the club members are quite anal about trespassers.This is true from Appilachicola, to Tampa.There are the truck stops /state parks, etc , but very little "open land" around here.Which is why I so desperately want to run away to the west !
TerryanLil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
1966 20' Globetrotter
johnsoncity , Tennessee
Boondocking don't know

We were in Key West a few years ago in a 24' motor coach. Law is nothing larger than 20' can be parked on any street. Very limited parking for any RV other than a van. You can go to the park below Key West and park all day for a very nominal fee, Have to walk or ride bikes to town. Not a bad walk. Enjoy
donh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I lived in Florida for 25 years and don't remember much of anything for free, but heres a list of possibilities...
Free Campgrounds for RVs

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I talked to an Airstream owner two years ago while attending the Florida State Bluegrass Festival in Perry, Florida (in April). BTW camping was only $5 and the ticket for 3 days of music was only $15! He recommended getting a copy of the Florida Gazateer (sp). It will show lots of camping places and some are free.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Try forrest areas like the Ocala forrest. I would call the ranger station first.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Kokomo , Indiana
At one time, members of the BPO Elks could park in the Key West Elks and they had some sites with electricity. Don't know if that is still an option, but might be worth checking.
gjwalls123 is offline   Reply With Quote