Old 06-09-2012, 05:07 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Lambert , Montana
Fishing Pole Management

Any clever ideas out there? We've taken a couple trips now this year and the fishing poles are getting to be a real PIA. Between two kids and dad's gear we wind up toting 5-6 different poles and the tackle and it always ends up scatttered every which way.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:48 AM   #2
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

No good solution here, the only advantage I have while towing is the back of the Burb, they all get bundled and stored next to the dog crate.

At the campsite we have a "garage" tent that all the tackle gets stored in, along with a lot of the outside stuff should it rain.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06427.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	439.9 KB
ID:	160464  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Similar to Bob - but a bit different - we hang ours on the storage side of the pet barrier that separates the back (storage) area of our SUV from Attica's portion of the truck. Works well - keeps them up and out of the way till they are needed.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:44 AM   #4
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Hi there,
We have installed an additional "sewer pipe" tube under the coach. It's a little investment in PVC pipe, end caps, and the hangers, but safe secure out of the way until you need it storage....
Old 06-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Charlotte , North Carolina
Don't really have a solution either but to me...fishing is reason I am out there to begin with, so any 'inconviences' are put up with, and happily.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
I just lay the gear on top on top of our bed, anywhere else and it tends to get banged up. When we get to our destination it goes in the bed of our truck.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Weeeeeeelllll, in my old SOB, I had fishing rod racks installed above the bed, attached to the ceiling. My wife hated it and I heard about it at least 100 times. When we got the AS.....well.....not gonna happen. (I wouldn't have anyway, but she can't know that). The extra PVC sewer pipe would be my vote....lined with something soft so as not to scuff the rods.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:51 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Lambert , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
(SNIP)
At the campsite we have a "garage" tent that all the tackle gets stored in, along with a lot of the outside stuff should it rain.

Bob

A garage tent is a great idea! The PVC seems a bit small... How would you get more than a couple rod/reels inside?
Old 06-10-2012, 07:16 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bosco View Post
A garage tent is a great idea! The PVC seems a bit small... How would you get more than a couple rod/reels inside?
I always remove my reels. I finally got to a place in life where I felt I deserved really nice reels, so I pack them in their padded cases for travel. With that in mind, the PVC would hold probably 6 rods easily.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:51 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Charlotte , North Carolina
The garage tent is a good idea but I fish with bamboo fly rods almost exclusively so I like to keep my gear close by...
Old 06-10-2012, 07:53 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
We have a hanging strap system inside the truck cap. The straps system was bought from the bass pro catalog many many years ago designed to strech from the sides of the truck bed, but that gets in the way of the firewood, little kids bikes, generator, and so on. So I took some short screws and washers and screwed the straps right to the thick part of the top of the truck cap. The rods slip into the loops in the far strap and the handles velcro into the rear most strap, and hang out of the way in the top of the cap.

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:40 AM   #12

1979 31' Excella 500
York , Pennsylvania
The pvc pipe is the way to go unless your rods don't break down and are longer then 8 ft. Just remove the reels and throw them in one of your storage areas, they don't take up much room. I also use the pvc pipe to put my brush for washing the trailer and extension pole.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #13
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I have had as many as 10 rods in the tube. It was a tight fit, however I was still able to get them in there! I agree with the post.... it's a good idea to remove the reels anyway. Most of mine are valuable so a ride in the padded case is always the preferred method for me.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Fishing Pole Storage

Hello All. When I bought my 1988 25' Excella, the dealer talked me into buying an underbelly storage compartment. It is made of aluminum and is about 10" wide by about 7" top to bottom and goes across the belly stoping about an inch or so from each side. It is mounted behind the wheels by about a foot. There is a hinged, at the bottom, door on each side with 2 clasps on each door to keep them shut.
Carry lots of things in it including fishing poles.
When I bought the trailer in 1988 the dealer told me that it was an accessory offered by Airstream. It cost back then $125 installed.
Happy camping nm1oqrz