Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2017, 01:12 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Find Water & Dump Stations?

Hello,

We are about to take off into the wild blue yonder, and I'm hoping to boondock most of the way through Harvest Host. Just wondering how I'm going to find places to fill my fresh water tank and dump?

Any suggestion? Apps, do truck stops have these facilities, find RV parks that will let me use theirs?

Thanks, so much!
Vickie
Dickandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:48 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
Allstays has good info, sometimes in the description of a particular park or gas station. Sometimes it will say the cost of the services as well. Most parks I've seen will let you use their dump, but seem to charge a lot for the privalege. Some of the rest areas around here have dump stations, but I've never used one, so I can't comment on whether or not there is a cost. Sounds like a fun trip!
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:55 PM   #3
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
POI-Factory and Garmin POI Loader

If you use a GPS (either portable or car navigation) you may find that the free POI-Factory is a useful tool. You can find lists of things like Free RV Dump Stations. (There is an annual fee if you also want to download the Red Light and Speed camera locations.)

I use a Garmin GPS and there is also a Garmin Navigation system in my tow vehicle. Garmin has a free app called POI Loader that creates a custom POI file from all of the lists that you assemble on you computer (PC or Mac) that can then easily be uploaded to your GPS.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:58 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I've stopped at several RV parks between boondocking sites that were agreeable to a small fee for dumping.

Lots of Flying J locations have a dump station. Most of them charge a bit for it, but I think it's cheaper if you have their loyalty card.

The "allstays" app (not free) does list dump stations, but I don't think it has a specific filter for potable water sources.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
State Parks, COE, Federal Parks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I've stopped at several RV parks between boondocking sites that were agreeable to a small fee for dumping.

Lots of Flying J locations have a dump station. Most of them charge a bit for it, but I think it's cheaper if you have their loyalty card.

The "allstays" app (not free) does list dump stations, but I don't think it has a specific filter for potable water sources.
We have the senior yearly pass for some State Parks we use, such as Texas, CA, and MT. We also have the Federal Park Pass for Seniors "Golden Age?. With these pass's, you can typically get in during the day, and use the facilities including water and dump.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:02 PM   #6

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
We have the senior yearly pass for some State Parks we use, such as Texas, CA, and MT. We also have the Federal Park Pass for Seniors "Golden Age?. With these pass's, you can typically get in during the day, and use the facilities including water and dump.
Ah yes, that's something I didn't think about. I've done a similar thing once before. If you have any annual Texas state parks pass (not just the seniors' one) you can go into any state park without vehicle or day-use fees. So, if they have a dump station you can use that, you just don't get a campground for free. I didn't think about it because usually if I'm near a state park with the trailer it's because I'm camping there! I don't know if other states' passes work the same way or not.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 03-09-2017, 08:49 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Milwaukie , Oregon
I was told that in a pinch you can purchase tanks to dump into that are then portable and dump into a regular toilet... does anyone know more about these?
SheBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:04 PM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheBop View Post
I was told that in a pinch you can purchase tanks to dump into that are then portable and dump into a regular toilet... does anyone know more about these?
That's called a "blue boy" (whether it's blue or not) and is commonly a tool for by those of us with small waste tanks. Usually you'd dump them at a dump station, they're a bit ungainly for dumping into a toilet. Cassette toilets are easy to dump into regular toilets, but once you get to 20 gallons of icky fluid a ground-level dump is easier.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:58 PM   #9
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
We purchased a catalog of dump listings from Camping World. Have not found it to be of much use as we normally stay at RV parks which have facilities. The dumps at rest stops seem to be a great solution as they are easy in and out. There are also dumps at small town sewer plants that can be helpful. We use bottled water for drinking so we do not have to worry too much about water quality. Much less pricy in some areas if you buy the RO water from the supermarket dispensers and use your own containers.

Pick up a "water thief" and use a clamp to hold it fast and leak free. Carry a set of portable containers and a couple of contamination free hoses. The fresh water fill adapter from Camco with a valve and a funnel both help. Don't plug the fill neck as over pressuring the fresh tank can be an expensive repair.

Good luck with your trip. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:16 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
Another vote for the AllStays Camp & RV App. Available for ~ $10 on iOS and Android. There is an AllStays PRO. The Pro version is web-based (needs an internet connection) and, has more features than the "standard" app.

Some Flying J Truck Stops have water/dump/propane available for RVs.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
All of the above, plus the suggestion that you spend an occasional overnite in a campground, do your laundry and use their facilities to dump and fill with fresh water.

Have fun!

Maggie
Old 03-10-2017, 06:15 PM   #12
CAV
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Dubuque , Iowa
In Iowa, all interstate rest stops have free dump stations; but no water.
CAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:26 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
I have seen a book on rv dump stations at camping world. Friend of ours uses an app (don't know the name of it). Flying J has dump stations. Seems to me that unless you're really out in the middle of nowhere you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
And here's a question for everyone:
Has anyone used a product called C.L.R. in their black tank?
It comes in several 'flavours', and one of them is for Septic Tanks, to dissolve organic solids.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:29 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Thanks everyone! I just got home from my trip and didn't have any problem finding dump stations and water. They are at most of the big truck stop gas stations.
Dickandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote