Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2015, 12:11 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Orinda , California
Filling Up Water Tanks Before You Leave or On the Road?

I enjoy the quieter atmosphere of boondocking so I want to do more of it. My question is whether to fill up water tanks at home or on the road? If one does fill up on the road, are there particular facilities that offer potable water? Kind of like facilities that offer dump stations? If one does run out of water while on the road, where does one go to refill either the AS tank or portable gallon jugs?

Thanking you in advance.

Randi
DogGonnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Kind of by definition, Boon docking locations don't have a potable water source

Most of the festivals I go to have a water station to fill tanks, and I travel with empty tanks whenever possible.

When there is no water, or sulfur smelling water where I am going, I fill up tanks at home. I also bring four 6 gallon plastic jerry cans filled with water. I also use the jerry cans to transfer water, so I don't have to move my trailer

Water isn't free…Even if you don't pay for…someone IS. Either you pay the water company by how much is used, or you pay the electric bill for the pump that takes the water from underground. OR in some places like Canyonlands, someone pays the guy who hauls in the water on a truck.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
We usually fill up at home. It doesn't hurt to carry around a full tank of water and might actually help (lower center of gravity from the weight).

On our recent road trip, we had several stops that didn't have water hookups, so we would refill at the prior campground (where we did have a water hookup) before departing.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:40 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
There are several reasons to tow with a full fresh tank. One of them is, if you have a problem on the road, you have a source of water to clean up after performing repairs. Another is a source of water if, for example, you have a problem with your tow vehicle that requires refilling the radiator.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:46 AM   #5
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I always carry at least one of my 52 gallon tanks filled. You just never know what the day will bring!
Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it!
With that being said, I think the life and times if a full timer or nomad is much different than the weekend warier headed to the KOA!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
We're the "mug rumps" (Mug on one side of the fence, rump on the other.) I run with about a half full fresh water tank, and a few gallons of fresh water in the waste tanks. The Airstream is the cleanest "truck stop bathroom" we have found. We are hard pressed to use much more than 5 gallons of water a day. I resist loading extra weight if I don't have to.

If we are boondocking, then I would fill the fresh water tank for all the reasons we humans need water. Our trailers and designed to transport a full tank of fresh water, but it does add maybe 250 pounds of extra weight, almost always located ahead of the axles.

By the way, we are one of the few countries in the world where potable water is so readily available. We are blessed here in Minnesota with so much water available, at least when it isn't frozen.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:16 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
There are several reasons to tow with a full fresh tank. One of them is, if you have a problem on the road, you have a source of water to clean up after performing repairs. Another is a source of water if, for example, you have a problem with your tow vehicle that requires refilling the radiator.

^
X2

FW always full at start-off.

FWIW.......100mi with a 1/2 full black tank 'duz wonders for keeping things loose & dump-able.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:24 AM   #8
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
We've been full-time for a few months and a good portion of our time out west has been dry camping/boondocking. Always start out with freshwater, and if you find water somewhere, top off. Because finding water is actually difficult.

I also carry 4 5 gallon Rhino water jugs for filling up the tank. That comes to about 20 gallons which is half of my 39 gallon tank. Two trips to a water source and we are full.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:19 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . While I hate hauling much of that 8.5 lbs per stuff around, Sunday past we were stuck behind a nasty accident on I-15 for almost 2 hours in 90+ heat. The girls with 3 horses in front of us were trying to water the horses, but the water pump in the trailer had failed. so we turned on the AS pump & provided several gallons of water for the thirsty beasts (while in the middle of the road). Quite the experience & they seemed happy. You never know, do you ? ! regards, Craig
Old 08-11-2015, 10:21 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
We always fill up before we leave on a trip.
One reason is because we have excellent quality water and a lot of water out West can be full of minerals, bad smell, or taste bad.
Another reason is so that we have a bathroom, lunch stop, and water available while traveling.
3rd I don't think the extra weight makes that much difference to our fuel mileage. My F-250 diesel averages between 11 - 14 MPG when towing full or empty. When not towing I get about 19 MPG.
4th the extra weight in the bottom lowers the CG and tends to smooth out the ride a little.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
All of the above, and I prefer to keep my fresh water pretty full.

It is easiest, and often free, to dump your tanks at a public campground, at which time you can fill up as well.

If no public facility is available, private campgrounds usually allow this for a small fee.

If you were to become stranded for some reason, or stuck on a highway for hours due to an accident, having plenty of fresh water keeps you fully functional.

Maggie
Old 08-11-2015, 10:27 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Do you plan to drink the water?
Where does the water taste better?
I generally fill the fresh water tank at J. P. Coleman State Park because the water there tastes so good- better tasting than the water at home-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:27 AM   #13

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Since I have a heavy load already I tend to only fill the water tank full when I know that the campground I am going to has no water hookups at the site, and whose water quality is questionable. Where I know I have either good quality water available or hookups, I'll carry about 5 gallons. Enough to flush the toilet while enroute. If necessary I will fill at the destination campground or use their hookups if available.

If I'm carrying a full tank from home, I'll also carry 3, 7 gallon cans of water in my van. That gives me a total of 81 gallons of water to use. Typically we only go on one trip a year where I carry water from home.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:29 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Palestine , Texas
I always fill before leaving. 1. It is the water I am used to using. 2. Stops along the trip. 3. I've arrived at a campground at night, during a rain storm, or where the campground system is temporarily out of service. I also carry 6 gallons of drinking water in the AS (What if you get to a dry camp and your pump doesn't work until you repair or replace it?)
WBCCI #31443

"Don't follow me.
I've spent my life leading folks astray."
Will_Brule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:32 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
I always carry a full tank of fresh water; two chief reasons:
1) I live in the hot southwest where water is at a premium.
2) Our water at home is softened and I know it to be of good quality.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:44 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
And don't forget that your better half sometimes need to use the head on the road, so we always at least 10 gallon or so.

During a recent trip in Montana they had very high winds and Tractor Trailer were being turn over. We would like to Waite before taking off, but it was for the week.
So, fill up with water to help with weight with high winds, and it help a lot.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:58 AM   #17
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
...What if you get to a dry camp and your pump doesn't work until you repair or replace it?...

My water tank has a gravity outlet for draining the tank which is where I would get my water if the pump failed while boondocking.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:13 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Amelia Ct Hse , Virginia
Always fill tanks from home. Got some bad water once at a campground and spent two days in pain. If I need it on the road I stop at gas stations and they always let me fill with city water.
nypatnva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:18 PM   #19
Kim & Roger

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Ventura County , California
Dry Camping - Full fresh water tank from last full hook up RV campground or home. We also have a 45 gallon fresh water bladder in bed of TV with 12v water transfer pump when fresh water tank gets low. We carry a portable 35 gallon grey water waste tank to accommodate the excess grey water.

RV Campgrounds - Travel with 1/4 - 1/3 tank of fresh for those pit stops along the way. I'd rather not pull the additional weight if I don't have to.

“But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of the rest, because Aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize me, and I can't stand it. I been there before.” - Mark Twain
Kimberlydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:25 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My Airstream is my escape pod in case of storm, revolt of the masses or invasion of zombies. It stays pretty well stocked and ready to hit the road. That includes a mostly full rank of water. I have very good water at home. I filter it going into the tank and have a filter on the main sink faucet. If not used I drain and replace once a month. As far as I am concerned the trailer is designed to travel with a full tank of water, so no quilt in doing so.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote