Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2011, 05:06 AM   #101
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
You should be drawn and quartered. The very nerve.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:53 AM   #102
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
ddstech. No feathers ruffled here. I'm with you all the way. Yeah, I've heard the generators from time to time. But they all seem to be very considerate and non-offensive. At least to me. I have a generator but have yet to take it with us. It's quiet but not one of the super quiet ones so I'm curious to try it out and hopefully find it's quiet enough for limited usage. If I'm dry camping I try to be in " AC not needed" country so I'm only interested in keeping the batteries up.

PS: the previous post about the AC was not about the noise. Just simply the thought of his having AC for the same cost I had a silly light. While we suffered in the heat of night.

See ya'll on the road one of these days.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #103
one of those

2011 27 FB International
I don't have a generator yet, but I recorded the noise of a couple of foreign made, 10 kw. open frame diesel emergency backups and I play that through the FBs sound system all night long. Does that qualify us?

Man, that sub woofer under the front dinette is pretty neat, eh?
Old 06-04-2011, 07:36 AM   #104
WBCCI 8562

1975 31' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
We boondock most of the time, and no Solar (I wish) so I bought a 3000 Watt inverter
and mounted it in the truck bed. I also have a little old 500 Watt Honda and it is really quiet. Have found out that Honda is all I need to charge the battery, and try to run it when no neighbors are around. I have had some awful experience with people coming in with a big construction generator, putting it far away from their camper, going in, turn on AC and TV and let it run all day. But finding more and more campground are stopping this. PS fire restrictions in AZ forests, no generators....
Jim in Pima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:34 AM   #105
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
OK. I have two generators, Yamaha EF2000is. If and when my batteries get low, do I charge them via my 30 amp cord or do I use the DC charging cords that come with my generator and hook directly to the batteries. And, when the batteries are in parallel, do I place the positive/negative cords on the positive of one battery and the negative of the other. I'm being lazy since you guys are so terrific...rather than searching for the answer on the internet.
WBCCI #1122
Top of Georgia Unit #52
“I don’t want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it; I want to have lived the width of it as well.”
---Diane Ackerman (Author, poet, essayist, naturalist)
benjisgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:25 AM   #106
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
We went to the RV show in Quartzsite, AZ this last January. Some areas in the desert after 10pm still sounded like a Fifa World Cup in South Africa with all the construction grade generators running, who knows what. Temps where in the low 60's as soon as the sun went down.

newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:30 AM   #107
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjisgal View Post
OK. I have two generators, Yamaha EF2000is. If and when my batteries get low, do I charge them via my 30 amp cord or do I use the DC charging cords that come with my generator and hook directly to the batteries. And, when the batteries are in parallel, do I place the positive/negative cords on the positive of one battery and the negative of the other. I'm being lazy since you guys are so terrific...rather than searching for the answer on the internet.

I always let the AS three stage converter do the charging, safer for the batts.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #108
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Pima View Post
....>snip<.... PS fire restrictions in AZ forests, no generators....
Not so in all AZ forests...there are currently fire restrictions in effect in the national forests, but read the details for each....they vary.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #109
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Sometimes the tent campers can't pick their sites. When you have to book in advance, you can't pick your neighbors. Still, I assume that everyone is there because they enjoy some aspect of the outdoors.

I got stuck next to an RV when I was tent camping (floppy hat and all) and was irritated when they fired up the generator an hour before the allowed time in the morning. Rather than grump at them, I knocked on the door and took the "You might not be aware and I wouldn't want you getting in trouble with the rangers" tack. The man was very sweet and apologetic and turned it off right away.

He said he needed his morning coffee and his high maintenance (my observations, not his words), manicured wife had run the batteries down the previous night using her blow dryer. Watching them camp, it looked like he and the kids were having a blast and she was barely tolerating the uncivil conditions.

I felt sorry for the guy.

We had no further out of hours generator issues.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #110
one of those

2011 27 FB International
My first ex-wife was kinda like that.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #111
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , North Carolina
ZZ Top / Better than skunk

You are on to it.

You do not actually need to crank it up.

Just display some ZZ Top stickers, Marine or Marine Parent's stickers, Bush/Cheney or McCain/Palin stickers, and the "floppy hats" will give you wider berth.

You don't even have to subscribe to the above to do this.
TinCanLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:50 PM   #112
one of those

2011 27 FB International
NRA, Pry my cold dead fingers, etc. there are some great bumper stickers out there.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:50 PM   #113
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I get up every morning and do exactly what my Rice Krispies tell me to.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:35 PM   #114
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I get up every morning and do exactly what my Rice Krispies tell me to.

Exactly! First you SNAP!!!!

then you go out for some serious crackle and popping....
Old 06-06-2011, 04:14 PM   #115
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I prefer to pop first.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:21 PM   #116
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Not so in all AZ forests...there are currently fire restrictions in effect in the national forests, but read the details for each....they vary.
All Honda generators are equipped with United States Department of Agriculture qualified spark arrestors, so are they banned during fire danger times?
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:00 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
All Honda generators are equipped with United States Department of Agriculture qualified spark arrestors, so are they banned during fire danger times?
Virtually all the posts I've read about restrictions (at this point, anyway) indicate that they allow devices with spark arrestors like the Hondas have.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:03 AM   #118
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
As a generator owner, this thread has been very interesting to me. I have an Onan 2800 in the B190...not terribly quiet, unfortunately. For the record, I use it mostly for traveling to have A/C on the road. I've never used it while actually camping - we usually camp with electricity.

Part of the reason I don't boondock more is because the B190 only has one deep cycle battery with no solar cells, and I just have serious doubts we'd be able to survive more than a day or so without the generator or starting the engine. If I did do that, and needed to run the generator to recharge, I'd at least wait until late morning/after lunch to do it.

People who need it to run the coffee pot are doing it wrong: get one that lets you make coffee on the stove! (I say that as a non-coffee drinker, but...seriously, it's not that hard or expensive. My parents have one in their camper for exactly that reason.)

We were in a campground a couple years back in July, and the weather was pretty nice most of the week, so we didn't need the A/C at night and had the Fantastic Fan open. It was great. A family of tent people moved in next to us (assigned by the campground), and of course it got warmer the last night we were there and we needed the A/C (neither of us sleep well in warm temperatures, unfortunately). I felt kind of bad turning on the A/C because I knew they'd be able to hear it, but I didn't have much choice - I needed to get a good night's sleep because we're going to be on the road for 6-8 hours the next day...

Ideally campgrounds would separate the tenters from the RVers as much as possible, and most of them do.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #119
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanLand View Post
You are on to it.

You do not actually need to crank it up.

Just display some ZZ Top stickers, Marine or Marine Parent's stickers, Bush/Cheney or McCain/Palin stickers, and the "floppy hats" will give you wider berth.

You don't even have to subscribe to the above to do this.

When we were doing the cub scout thing a couple years back for my fiance's grandson..... We were at a leadership training weekend and one of the old "salts" (for lack of a better word) was saying how they had bought a used tuba (didn't even work at all) but they polished it up nice and bright and used to put it out on the table at camping sites. That way those sites near to them were ALWAYS the last ones taken..... Clever, clever man!
Getaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:31 PM   #120
Tom O

1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
A buddy and I were off for a weekend of camping with a couple of hundred of our closest friends. Mike had purchased a 5kw generator from Home Depot and thought it would be a worthy addtion for the trip. He said that the salesman had assured him that it was very quiet. We found a spot among the mob and Mike fired up the generator. The only thing louder than the generator was the angry mob. It was not the very quiet model it was actuallly louder than the hammers of hell. After the mob quieted down one of the other guys told us we could plug into his generator if we promised not to use Mike's again. It worked out very well and for serveral years the mere mention of the thing would have someone offer us their electricity.

CA-7
Toldfield is offline   Reply With Quote