Old 06-05-2011, 04:50 PM   #113
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
I get up every morning and do exactly what my Rice Krispies tell me to.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #114
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I get up every morning and do exactly what my Rice Krispies tell me to.

Exactly! First you SNAP!!!!

then you go out for some serious crackle and popping....

Old 06-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I prefer to pop first.

Gene
Old 06-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #116
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Not so in all AZ forests...there are currently fire restrictions in effect in the national forests, but read the details for each....they vary.
All Honda generators are equipped with United States Department of Agriculture qualified spark arrestors, so are they banned during fire danger times?
Old 06-06-2011, 09:00 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
All Honda generators are equipped with United States Department of Agriculture qualified spark arrestors, so are they banned during fire danger times?
Virtually all the posts I've read about restrictions (at this point, anyway) indicate that they allow devices with spark arrestors like the Hondas have.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:03 AM   #118
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
As a generator owner, this thread has been very interesting to me. I have an Onan 2800 in the B190...not terribly quiet, unfortunately. For the record, I use it mostly for traveling to have A/C on the road. I've never used it while actually camping - we usually camp with electricity.

Part of the reason I don't boondock more is because the B190 only has one deep cycle battery with no solar cells, and I just have serious doubts we'd be able to survive more than a day or so without the generator or starting the engine. If I did do that, and needed to run the generator to recharge, I'd at least wait until late morning/after lunch to do it.

People who need it to run the coffee pot are doing it wrong: get one that lets you make coffee on the stove! (I say that as a non-coffee drinker, but...seriously, it's not that hard or expensive. My parents have one in their camper for exactly that reason.)

We were in a campground a couple years back in July, and the weather was pretty nice most of the week, so we didn't need the A/C at night and had the Fantastic Fan open. It was great. A family of tent people moved in next to us (assigned by the campground), and of course it got warmer the last night we were there and we needed the A/C (neither of us sleep well in warm temperatures, unfortunately). I felt kind of bad turning on the A/C because I knew they'd be able to hear it, but I didn't have much choice - I needed to get a good night's sleep because we're going to be on the road for 6-8 hours the next day...

Ideally campgrounds would separate the tenters from the RVers as much as possible, and most of them do.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:50 AM   #119
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanLand View Post
You are on to it.

You do not actually need to crank it up.

Just display some ZZ Top stickers, Marine or Marine Parent's stickers, Bush/Cheney or McCain/Palin stickers, and the "floppy hats" will give you wider berth.

You don't even have to subscribe to the above to do this.

When we were doing the cub scout thing a couple years back for my fiance's grandson..... We were at a leadership training weekend and one of the old "salts" (for lack of a better word) was saying how they had bought a used tuba (didn't even work at all) but they polished it up nice and bright and used to put it out on the table at camping sites. That way those sites near to them were ALWAYS the last ones taken..... Clever, clever man!
Old 06-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #120
Tom O

1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
A buddy and I were off for a weekend of camping with a couple of hundred of our closest friends. Mike had purchased a 5kw generator from Home Depot and thought it would be a worthy addtion for the trip. He said that the salesman had assured him that it was very quiet. We found a spot among the mob and Mike fired up the generator. The only thing louder than the generator was the angry mob. It was not the very quiet model it was actuallly louder than the hammers of hell. After the mob quieted down one of the other guys told us we could plug into his generator if we promised not to use Mike's again. It worked out very well and for serveral years the mere mention of the thing would have someone offer us their electricity.

CA-7
Toldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getaways View Post
When we were doing the cub scout thing a couple years back for my fiance's grandson..... We were at a leadership training weekend and one of the old "salts" (for lack of a better word) was saying how they had bought a used tuba (didn't even work at all) but they polished it up nice and bright and used to put it out on the table at camping sites. That way those sites near to them were ALWAYS the last ones taken..... Clever, clever man!
Unless of course a genuine tuba playing camper pulls in next door hoping he has found a kindred spirit. Is one who plays tuba a tubist?
Old 06-07-2011, 05:11 PM   #122
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Unless of course a genuine tuba playing camper pulls in next door hoping he has found a kindred spirit. Is one who plays tuba a tubist?
In high school, we called him "the guy that got last choice in band class"

Old 06-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #123
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Spark arrestor

Regarding the spark arrestor...it is a nice feature but it does nothing about a hot muffler. Forty years ago (man, that seems like a lifetime ago), I worked for the Southern California Edison Company where our trucks were for off-road and all had spark arrestors that were checked weekly. If we ever drove over dry grass or weeds that might come in contact with the exhuast system we had to clear it out with shovels or sticks or something because a hot muffler would start that dry brush on fire. So...Honda has that but still will have a hot muffler.

Randy Bowman
Old 06-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #124
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by OB Bambi View Post
Regarding the spark arrestor...it is a nice feature but it does nothing about a hot muffler.
Hopefully you won't be using your generator as a tow vehicle over high grass. But what starts more grass fires than mufflers is catalytic converters which are much hotter.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:48 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Good point, Randy. And one that I have wondered about as well. I have cautiously touched the area where the exhaust exits the Honda 2000w housing...the opening in the hard plastic housing is basically flush with the exhaust "hole" of the generator ... The housing around the "hole" is warm to the touch but not burning hot. To get to the actual metal of the exhaust you'd have to stick your finger into the hole...something I have not done! The spark arrestor seems very efficient and the way the housing covers the muffler and exhaust on a Honda 2000 would be difficult to really burn anything.

That having been said, (1) please, folks, don't go around grabbing generator exhausts or poking your fingers into exhausts, and (2) do not place the generator in a position to even TEST the "it's not so hot" theory in the field. I make sure there is nothing combustible (including grasses, etc) within several feet of the exhaust whenever I use the generators.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #126
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getaways
... bought a used tuba (didn't even work at all) but they polished it up nice and bright and used to put it out on the table at camping sites. That way those sites near to them were ALWAYS the last ones taken..... Clever, clever man!
LOL! The tuba tactic is indeed clever! If you don't have a tuba, one of these on the picnic table would work as well ...
Attached Images