Old 09-06-2010, 06:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
My wife and I travel with a Honda 2000i Companion, and it only comes on to charge the batteries or to use 120v appliances while boondocking. I have yet to turn it on in a campground, since electric is usually available.

I would agree that it is impolite to fire up a generator in a peaceful campground, unless there was no electrical available and some extenuating circumstances existed.

Hibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:21 PM   #16

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Originally Posted by lpatkins View Post
Thanks all for the replies, glad I'm not the only one with this issue. The thing that really bugged me was that there were full hookups avialable in the same campground for only 3 dollars more a night!! I'm sure that several of these loud neighbours spent that in gas!
The info I can find suggests that the average burn for RV generators is 0.5 gph or more... so you can bet that your noisy neighbors probably burned up the difference in the cost of the hookup campsite before they finished the 2nd hour of generator operation. Either a "penny wise, pound foolish" problem or they couldn't get one of the sites with electrical service.

DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Originally Posted by lpatkins View Post
I got to listen to the sweet sound of all of my neighbours generators! What on earth do you need those things for? Isn't the whole point of camping to rough it a little? I'm hoping someone can give me a valid reason why, because if you need that much power spend the extra few dollars and go with hookups so the rest of us don't need to listen to all that noise pollution! Thanks for letting me vent!
I agree with you! Solar is the way to go, it is silent, non-polluting and free after the initial investment.
Your Airstream is mobile so go where you don't need Air conditioning and forget about microwave. It was only invented about 1970 or so. Laptops and TVs can be run off of 12 volt, I do it.
KE5CKG on 2 meters
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:07 PM   #18
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
In very broad terms people run generators either because they want to use the air conditioning or because they don't know what they're doing. Availability of shore power at remotely reasonable rates augers for rationale B.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
We understand people want to use generators, but what about when they have the things just running for hours on end? What's up with that? Are they watching movies at the expense of everyone else's peace and quiet or what? I thought a properly set up RV is meant to run on good house batteries, then just maybe use the gen to top them off.

We are not interested in buying a generator. Our solar is not even set up yet, but as of now, we can camp for four nights on our house batteries. That includes 12-volt computer use, several movies on the 12-volt HDTV, all the LED lighting we need, water pump, etc. Microwave, hair dryer or electric coffee maker, no thanks. Air conditioning, if we need AC then it's too hot to go there for our liking.
Janet & Leon
2007.5 Dodge 2500 5.9L Cummins 16+ mpg towing
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:20 PM   #20
Rivet Master
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
medical conditions

Some folks that I know have some medical conditions that do lots better with AC and for that they run a generator for a few hours in the daytime.
I use one to top the batteries for my CPAP if we are boondocking for a few days.
It would be nice if every camper would be aware of those around them and NOT use their generators at inappropriate hours, and keep them to a minimum. Unfortunately, some folks don't think of others, and/or have no common sense.
Larry and Lou
CP: Water/30 amp/waste dump/WIFI & Room for 2-3 units; PM us if you are headed our direction!
Air #2695
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:36 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Courtesy is the issue. We use and enjoy having our Honda EU2000i Companion. It has opened up a type of camping for us that we really enjoy. I often must work at the computer for several hours a day while on a trip, so in addition to topping off batteries,etc ... it gives me the ability to work long distance which would not be quite as possible without a generator.

That having been said, we are sensitive to those around us and we try our best to place the generator so that it is as unobtrusive as possible...and of course, we always honor the campground's quiet hours. While our generator is very quiet ... a polite generator, if you will... we do understand the distress caused by industrial-type generators that sound like a lawn mower in heat. We have had to endure that and it is no fun.

Of course, if there is an option for an electric hookup, that is even better...
TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:26 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Lumatic Touched on It

In a previous post, Lumatic made a statement about music. You know when you are in the great outdoors, how better to enjoy yourself than with a few mega speakers and sub-woofer to play your rap? Nothing shouts Motha Nature more than that.

It takes a lot of power to run those things. Solar just isn't enough.

Randy Bowman
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member
2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
"Roughing it"?

In an Airstream?! solar panels, stove, A/C, toiler & shower, TV, soft couches?
What we do can't be called " camping" its "Glamping" - glamor camping!

"All that is mine, I carry with me." Cicero
RMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #24
65th Anniversary CLIPPER
1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Generator Etiquette

All the complaints on this subject seem to require some sort of consences to the appropriate time generators might be used.
Voice your opinion here.

Aux. power units are a fact of todays needs, but like everything else in life, there are consequences for every action?????

masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:55 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member
2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
The comments here are a good reason to go way off the grid. My thing: tolerance for your neighbor.
benjisgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:09 AM   #26
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
... , ...
In my experience, it's not generators that are the biggest noise makers, especially in CG's that have hookups - it's radio's turned up so load the guys fishing 3 miles down stream can hear - and air conditioners!
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member
1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
ha! reminds of a camping trip on the green river late one fall...snowing, cold, the campground was full of fishermen in various and assorted tents and trailers we were in a wall tent with a guy in the whole campground in his rv ran his generator all night. after two nights i couldn't take it anymore i told him to knock it off with a few other choice words thrown in or move on...which he did. he hated me but i became an instant folk hero with the rest of the folks in the campground! lol
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:32 PM   #28

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
A few years ago we were at a dry camping rally in a big dusty field and a couple in an old motorhome parked right next to us (too close for our comfort already - we had a lovely view of the mountains, then we had a lovely view of a big old motorhome), and then ran their generator for a couple hours around dinnertime. Because it was unbearably hot we had our door and all the windows open hoping for a breeze, but we had to close them because we were getting choked by the exhaust fumes. Not one of my favorite camping memories! I'm sure they had no idea how annoying they were though, and we headed out the next day anyway to look for someplace cooler.

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote