Old 06-16-2011, 04:40 PM   #141
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Actually, the trailer refrigeration units the grocery industry uses have a diesel-powered compressor and a 12v automotive-type generator. Easy enough to adapt to an Airstream.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #142
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Actually, the trailer refrigeration units the grocery industry uses have a diesel-powered compressor and a 12v automotive-type generator. Easy enough to adapt to an Airstream.
Then you can store ice cream in your airstream.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #143
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
you mean.....I can't store ice cream in our new airstream already???

Oh man. I'm really getting depressed, now.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:31 PM   #144
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
you mean.....I can't store ice cream in our new airstream already???

Oh man. I'm really getting depressed, now.
Not 2000# of it.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:12 PM   #145
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
I have two generators . One I retrieved from the trash for free,the other I stole.They both work fine.Which one do I use for camping? Neither. I'm very quiet,except for the 12 gauge of course.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:11 PM   #146
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Assorted technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
that's kinda what I was thinking. Propane powered AC, up on the roof, with sound baffled to the bottom and sides so it was reflected upwards.
Just make the existing ac module a little longer to accomodate a horizontally opposed two cylinder propane powered engine...
All seriousness aside, you wouldn't need a propane powered engine, just an absorption refrigeration unit (like the refrigerator) to provide your air conditioning. It would be quiet. Might be fairly bulky and use a lot of propane though.

While I'm commenting--that's quite a drink service cart! In addition to a very well stocked bar, it appears to offer a funnel for people who don't wish to put forward the effort to "drink". . .
Old 06-17-2011, 08:32 AM   #147
WBCCI 8562

1975 31' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
Problem solved, I recently bought a cabover camper to rebuild. It has a "Turbocool" evaporation
roof cooler. Look it up on the net, way over priced for what it is, however here in dry country
it runs on 12 volts, uses as low as 2 amps, about 3 to 5 gallons of water a day. Very quiet, at 10% humidity it drops the output air temp 30 degrees. A solar panel would power it just fine.
Also a exhaust fan. Seems to cool the cabover about 20 degrees if I turn it on a daybreak.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:40 AM   #148
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Convert a small gas engine to lp, attach a universal ac kit to it and put it in a sound proof enclosure

http://www.vintageair.com/Universalapps1.asp
Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #149
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Hmm...how about an axle driven compressor to cool the trailer off while under tow? Would already be at the cooler temp when you got where you were stopping for the night...no need to run the roof ac nearly as long to get the internal temp down....
Old 06-17-2011, 11:03 AM   #150
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo
Hmm...how about an axle driven compressor to cool the trailer off while under tow? Would already be at the cooler temp when you got where you were stopping for the night...no need to run the roof ac nearly as long to get the internal temp down....
Flex dryer hose from truck cab to AS lol.
Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:54 AM   #151
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
While all the above suggestions, especially mine, are certainly valid and important innovations, why can't the trailers have flow through ventilation to keep them from becoming furnaces when towing through hot temps? All cars and truck have it and it doesn't leak either.

Gene
Old 06-17-2011, 03:10 PM   #152
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
There is a fellow from the Toronto area that sometimes posts here that we met last winter in Austin Tx.

He had a beautifully restored smaller Argosy and he had installed a diesel AC unit. Everything was mounted down low - nothing at all on the roof as I recall.

He was also towing it with a very interesting Mercedes diesel flat bed truck with a custom rear deck and tool boxes. He carried a new Mini on the deck of the Tow vehicle along with ramps.

All in all a very impressive arrangement! Maybe he will see this and add more detail!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:34 PM   #153

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
There is a fellow from the Toronto area that sometimes posts here that we met last winter in Austin Tx.

He had a beautifully restored smaller Argosy and he had installed a diesel AC unit. Everything was mounted down low - nothing at all on the roof as I recall.

He was also towing it with a very interesting Mercedes diesel flat bed truck with a custom rear deck and tool boxes. He carried a new Mini on the deck of the Tow vehicle along with ramps.

All in all a very impressive arrangement! Maybe he will see this and add more detail!
I'm pretty sure SmokelessJoe's AC is electric, I think it's a split-system LG Artcool. The compressor unit lives on the tongue, and the evaporator and fan head unit is mounted to the wall like a picture frame.

His gorgeous Argosy does everything else with diesel, though... even the cooktop. I haven't had the good fortune to see it first hand, but I think I've read every post he's made about it. Hopefully someday mine will look as good, though I don't think I'm likely to go to the lengths he has to improve systems. If I had a trailer that didn't originally have a hole in the roof for AC, though, I'd certainly consider the system he used. In fact I'm considering a similar system for a guest suite atop the new garage we're building, because it's significantly more compact than a conventional ducted system.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:50 AM   #154
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
You guys are missing the boat. All of those suggestions require some level of noise, and there is an alternative that no one has considered.

Cold Fusion could allow us an indefinitely sustainable energy source that produces zero noise; all we need is a little palladium and some heavy water. A small tabletop reactor would produce enough juice to run the whole campground...