Old 05-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by memgrove2000 View Post
On our 72 when the batteries are dead all we do is get the truck close enough to plug the cord into the truck. Instantly we can run the jack. We do this at least three times a year, and yes the kids will leave the lights on(most often in the bathroom).
Same here. It's very simple and it took me seconds to figure it out....

WBCCI #1122
Top of Georgia Unit #52
ďI donít want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it; I want to have lived the width of it as well.Ē
---Diane Ackerman (Author, poet, essayist, naturalist)
benjisgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Sounds like the best solution is a mechanical jack, but in the meantime I need to make sure I can power it off my truck. Like I mentioned, this didn't work for me the first time I tried, but sounds like I was a little hasty. Thanks for the help. Kris

Old 05-29-2012, 12:01 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
1962 22' Safari
1961 16' Bambi
Philly burbs , PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
I removed electric jack. I have enough problems without planning for them.

I installed a Front-Facing Sidewind Crank jack.

Bulldog A-Frame Trailer Jack HB-155010

Works every time . . . in the dark, in the rain, with no battery.

`
I did the same. Less is more.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
Pros & cons with either electric or manual jacks. As an emergency backup, try out the jack you have in your tow vehicle and make sure you can lift the trailer to couple up. Most of us have wood or plastic blocks for various chores around the trailer that could be used if you needed more lift, but I suspect you'll find it works ok. Or, carry a spare jack (like a bottle jack, etc) - will come in handy if you ever have a flat tire.

Just an option to consider
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4WD
RDM16CCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:37 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Look up online the wiring diagram of a 7-pin trailer connector. Use a voltmeter between the + and - terminals of the connector (about at 10 and 4 going around the connector, respectively). If you get 12 volts there with the truck running, then your charge line is connected and working.
Update: Actual pin location depends (of course) on the orientation of the connector - mine is actually rotated 90 degrees left so that the tab that secures the plug is on the left side. Check a diagram to confirm for your application.

Tom
Old 05-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Most (if not all) electric jacks can be operated manualy. It should have come with either a special crank or a socket to use with a ratchet handle.
I'm surprised that everyone seemed to ignore this very sound advice in lieu of finding an electrical alternative. Yes, it does require a lot of cranking - but it works!!!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
He may not know how to take the motor head off the jack to get to the socket where you plug the handle into.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
He may not know how to take the motor head off the jack to get to the socket where you plug the handle into.
That's true. I looked all around and couldn't see where I could manually jack; i figured it may require some dissection.

On the upside, however, I do have an off-road jack I can take along until I get a more definitive solution.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
Additionally, my trailer didn't come with the handle for manual cranking. I ordered one "just in case," but have yet to need it.

Personally I feel that if you're batteries are so dead that you can't use the electric jack, you've run the batteries down too far anyway - what's going to happen on the way home if you need that emergency breakaway cable before the batteries get recharged from the TV?

(When I bought my trailer, the PO turned off the master switch before we hit the road, and I was like, "Uh, let's leave that on..." I doubt the emergency trailer brakes are wired through it but I'd rather not find out the hard way that they are.)

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Additionally, my trailer didn't come with the handle for manual cranking. I ordered one "just in case," but have yet to need it.

Personally I feel that if you're batteries are so dead that you can't use the electric jack, you've run the batteries down too far anyway - what's going to happen on the way home if you need that emergency breakaway cable before the batteries get recharged from the TV?

(When I bought my trailer, the PO turned off the master switch before we hit the road, and I was like, "Uh, let's leave that on..." I doubt the emergency trailer brakes are wired through it but I'd rather not find out the hard way that they are.)
The emergency handle for my jack is built into the head unit. You do need the correct size allen key though to pull off the jack head.

My thought is that activating the brakes via the breakaway cable takes less power than running the jack to lift the trailer. Hopefully not-100%-dead-batteries could do that. But I don't want to test that theory out.

The master switch in my trailer doesn't turn off the power jack. Of course, different strokes for different trailers.

I'm getting a manual jack installed on the trailer this week. Always did fine on the Argosy with it, so it will be fine on the 2007 Safari.

Tom
Old 05-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #25
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I've never tried to remove the cover and operate my jack manually. I, however, do keep a small hydraulic bottle jack handy and have used that a couple of times when my batteries failed me. Quick and easy. You should always have a few wood blocks around for leveling so use them and the jack and up you go.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #26
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
on most of the newer electric jacks a small circular section of the top [right where the bubble-level is] will 'twist-off' revealing a socket for the manual crank.

you should not have to remove the entire 'head' or do any other major work.

hope this helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	31g0hCbR+eL._SS400_[1].jpg
Views:	130
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	159608

FCU WBCCI #1601
I Donít Always Pull A Trailer
But When I Do - I Pull An Airstream
Keep Moving My Friends
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by az-streamer View Post
on most of the newer electric jacks a small circular section of the top [right where the bubble-level is] will 'twist-off' revealing a socket for the manual crank.

you should not have to remove the entire 'head' or do any other major work.

hope this helps.

Attachment 159608
Sort of like the Newbie has clearance problem thread where there were lots of posts telling the OP (with a single axle trailer) that there was no need to jack it to change a flat. Good info, but not sure it applies here.

Since the OP has a 1985 Excella, my guess is that he has one of the H & H jacks that requires removal of the powerhead. That's what I have on my 1983 Excella. I don't have an emergency handle either, but haven't needed it so far. (Have another jack, just in case.) I've attached a pdf of the H & H manual. Hope it helps make things clear.

I wish I had one of the new style jacks myself, but not enough to replace the old one while it is working fine.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf H & H Superjack.pdf (395.1 KB, 44 views)
Old 05-30-2012, 12:59 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
1962 22' Safari
1961 16' Bambi
Philly burbs , PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM16CCD View Post
Pros & cons with either electric or manual jacks. As an emergency backup, try out the jack you have in your tow vehicle and make sure you can lift the trailer to couple up. Most of us have wood or plastic blocks for various chores around the trailer that could be used if you needed more lift, but I suspect you'll find it works ok. Or, carry a spare jack (like a bottle jack, etc) - will come in handy if you ever have a flat tire.

Just an option to consider
Just out of curiosity, what are the cons of a manual jack?