Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2015, 09:07 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
dumb blueboy question

I have a 1964 land yacht and the waste port sits very low. When I hook up to a blue boy, will it work? I don't want to shell out $250 only to find that the waste won't run into the tank. Does anyone know?
gomotomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
When I had my Bambi II I had that problem several times. I had a dump cap that had a water hose fitting. Attached a short piece of hose and ran that to the blue boy. Of course that only worked for gray water drain.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
If the big hose will make the bends to the tank without kinking...it will drain.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
It is all about gravity and "head." Since your dump valve is roughly 18" above the ground, and when you attach to an empty Blueboy tank, you are essentially draining to the ground, water will run down hill that 18". Now, you may need to have a modified (shortened) hose to go from dump valve to Blue boy so that you get a reasonably straight shot from valve to tank, rather than trying to use a 12' long hose to cover 12 inches.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:04 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

When we had to drain the grey into a blue container on our 63 Safari I just used a large flat funnel and let it empty thru the small drain in the 'frying pan" cover directly into the BB.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10088412.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	243187  
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:19 AM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Our BB works fine. You will probably need the Valtera/Thetford converter for the 'connections' to work... unless your AS has been modified already. The BB 'hose' is short enough....and is 'built in'..

The 'key' is to drain enough out of the AS holding tank so that the 'level' in the BB is always 'lower'.... as 'water' seeks a natural 'level'...you can't 'push' the liquid from the holding tank...

- Place a plastic pan under the 'hose/valve' connection to catch 'drips'...
- Open the 'vent' cap...on the BB
- Make connection.. (ensure secure)...
- I 'dump' about 1/2 of the tank, since my holding tank is 'larger' than the BB...
- Shut off the 'dump valve', raise the hose to complete 'transfer' of hose contents.
- With 'GLOVED HANDS".... CAREFULLY remove the BB hose from the AS... KEEP the end ELEVATED... as you place the 'cap' securely on the BB hose.
- SECURE the vent on the BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Move the BB to the target 'dump' station... connect hose, open vent... empty...BB
- Repeat above as needed
- Clean and sanitize... (I put some disinfectant in the BB for storage... just some of the liquid stuff you put in the Holding Tank...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:22 AM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Don't forget to open the vent on the blue boy when you hook up, else your grey water will back up into your shower. I've ruined so many shower mats that way...

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:00 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
It can also depend on the terrain in your campsite. If you can position your trailer so that the ground slopes downhill from the rear bumper, the blue boy hookup gets easier. You may have to lift the hose to drain residual water into the blue tank before you disconnect, but that's easy to do.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:41 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
And one more idea is to use a macerator pump on the outlet when you are dumping the black tank.... pump it to the blue boy.

The gray water will generally work even if the hose dips and rises as long as the tank is lower than the outlet. It can be slower but it will drain.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
You can always "coax" the fluid along by lifting the hose to provide a downward path.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:03 PM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomotomoto View Post
I have a 1964 land yacht and the waste port sits very low. When I hook up to a blue boy, will it work? I don't want to shell out $250 only to find that the waste won't run into the tank. Does anyone know?

When you say 'low' is it this kind of low?

This was the style outlet we had on our 63 and was the reason we drained directly into the BB with no hose, ours was so low we had to lower the tongue at times.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 02:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I ran into a fellow camper and he uses one of those pumps that has hose fittings on both ends. It attaches to a drill and will pump the water uphill and quite a distance. He got his at Home Depot for about $9.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:48 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
You can raise the trailer a couple of inches by using your Lego blocks.
Tim
Beaker63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:53 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomotomoto View Post
Camping world currently has a 25 gallon tote and store blue tank on sale for $144. It should meet your needs just fine. Clearance under your rig should be about 16" ground to belly pan, assuming a flat level surface. The blue tank is only 10" deep. There is a 90 degree elbow that snaps onto your drain fitting. It was included once upon a time in your trailer's "kit". Alternately a cover cap with a garden hose fitting would also work. Add a 90 degree garden hose fitting, available at RV suppliers. Get 3 of these while you're at it. Use the second one at the blue tank connection. This allows for a straight line run from trailer to tank. Use the 3rd one when hooking up to shore water at a campground. It saves the hose from getting a nasty kink in it.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote