Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-25-2015, 10:47 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Foot blisters. I got one the size of a nickel walking barefoot on Virginia Beach, from the hotel to the fishing pier and back. We were going to tour Williamsburg the next day and I was effectively crippled. 5 layers of duck tape over the lanced blister and I hiked all over the place the next day and around DC the next day. No pain or even discomfort. There's a roll in my first aid kit ever since.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 11:07 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Gearheart... PhD MD medical profession in your future!

I was driving my 4x4 into the back country in the western Nebraska Badlands. In the process of driving further back on two ruts and up some steep badland sections, my driver's side broke through the crust above an under the surface "water flute", I call them. The surface look solid, but with weight you can break through.

I needed a jack and a shovel to get my rear wheel up, fill the "flute" so I could go any further. Getting the jack from under the drivers seat there ARE sharp wire ends that are part of the suspension for the seats. One of these sliced a razor sharp cut an inch long. It was now sunset and with a flash light I could see that the skin was sliced where I could spread it apart to see the muscle tissue below. It really did not bleed very much, but needed to self stitch the open cut... or better yet... DUCT TAPE it.

I added some Neosporin and a strip of "silver duct tape" and used tension to secure the wound and spent the night at a 45 degree angle to await daylight the next morning.

Worked like a professional job. I let the duct tape hold it together until it began to peel off from my skin. I then repeated the process. Discovered lots of Oligocene Fossils at the former Munson Ranch north of Harrison, Nebraska.

If anyone wants to see the scar... ask. It barely shows, so I have lost the sport of creeping people out with the story. Now... tearing off my left foot's big toe nail climbing some steep cliffs in my climbing boots... that one is an even better story. I will show you that toe nail as well. It did not turn out so well... but did not use Duct Tape. Should of, but did not have any with me on that trip.

Maybe dames7 needs to be coming out west in 2016 and BRING you duct tape...
Old 12-25-2015, 11:39 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Merry Christmas Ray and Nancy!

Maggie.
Old 12-25-2015, 02:58 PM   #24
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Warts!!! Cut duct tape enough to cover and secure around wart by About 3/8" al the way around. Leave on for a week... Carefully remove duct tape and use pumice stone to scrub away dead skin. Reapply duct tape for another week. Repeat cleaning. Saw it happen..

Here is link to process and some research. Using Duct Tape as a Wart Removal Method – Step By Step Procedure To Be Successful |

Did not do myself.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 03:02 PM   #25
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Duct taped a starter motor in place after the mount casting broke on an aircraft engine. Got us home.

Duct taped a "cracked" wooden prop and windscreen on a Piper Cub when it flipped in Alaska during a "landing".. Temp repair of wing fabric... Make sure you put same number of wraps of duct tape at same Place on opposite end of
Prop
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:31 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Can't afford to replace back window in my 2003 F150, (gasket has gone bad), it's been wearing marine duct tape for years. I seriously need to get it fixed though.

I wrap several feet of duct tape around golf pencils, these are in all my backpacks for emergency use. There is also one in the first aid kit I take with me. I've fixed boots so I could hike home properly. I've used it on many a blister. Unlike moleskin, duct tape actually stays in place despite hot sweaty feet.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:24 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Dometic Duct Tape Vent Fan... repair

Under Refrigerators I found what might be a fix for the loud, obnoxious vibrating sounds from the exterior exhaust fan to cool the back of the Dometic Refrigerator.

It might not be the fan, but the factory installation without any thought as to years of complaints of excessive fan noise.

At this moment... and counting, a rolled up piece of duct taped cardboard did stop the vibration amplified noise into the trailer's interior. If this is driving you NUTS, as I already find myself after TWO Airstreams with identical issues... read that thread.

Another great use for duct tape, and it could save you money and give you a good night's sleep for the price of some rolled up piece of cardboard box.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:37 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
The refrigerator fan "Silence is Golden" lasted one day, once arriving at the Gilbert Ray RV Park to the west of Tucson, AZ.

The annoying buzzing, wheezing and grinding increased... back to the normal background noise. Sometimes you succeed, and sometimes you don't.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:40 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Poulsbo , WA
aka "Hippie Chrome"

Also, a great use is to heavily wrap your splitting maul handle next to the head to keep from tearing up the handle when you're splitting wood.

Or, backing for disc brake pads to keep them from squeaking.

I could go on and on!
Larry_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:56 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Any Red Green fans out there?

Old 11-14-2018, 06:30 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
My wife and I were hiking up Bright Angel Trail from our backpacking stay in Phantom Ranch at the bottom of the Grand Canyon. Somewhere past Indian Gardens the rubber soles of my hiking boots started separating from the leather boot. Needless to say, if they totally separated, hiking with 1 foot bare would have been difficult.

We stopped at the next water station and found there was a box there that kept supplies for hikers. In that box were rolls of duct tape as well as blankets / food and other items. I wrapped a few layers around my boot and sole to bind them together. It held for the remaining 3 miles and got me thru my hike. I try to always keep a role around me in my travels since then.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:35 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
GOUSC

I used it in exactly the same way when a boot I had not worn in the past season separated in the glue area of the insole. Luckily I had several rolls of flat-pack duct tape with me and I made an Ace bandage on my boot and hiked the rest of the day with no problems.

Our most common uses these days for the silver duct tape is keeping our vintage airstreams together when we travel down the road :-)

Things to never be without, duct tape, bailing wire, a fire source and a knife.

I love when I refer to it as hundred-mile-an-hour tape and somebody still knows what I'm talking about.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:06 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
And more proof you only need 2 tools. WD-40 and duct tape.

If it doesn't move and it should, us the WD-40.

If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:15 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
GOUSC

---------------------snip---------------

I love when I refer to it as hundred-mile-an-hour tape and somebody still knows what I'm talking about.
Even better, I used to have a roll of the Navy's famous "500-mile-an-hour" tape. Was thick green material with stickup that was used to cover flack holes in the wings of F-4J fighters. Yes it would stay on at ridiculous speeds, and took great violence and evil solvents to get if back off...to do real repairs.

Duct tape is a piker compared to that stuff...I've been using the Gorilla brand stuff lately. It's the 'dark side' of duct tape--comes only in black fabric backing, and is very tenacious stuff. I'm sure it can hold the universe together...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:21 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Hooah!!Click image for larger version

Name:	71%2BPnxsnWPL._SX425_.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	327928

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:26 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
That be the stuff. Same ugly color...

If we had not used that stuff, some of our aircraft could not fly...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote