Old 10-14-2016, 09:36 PM   #57
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Originally Posted by explore more View Post
Agreed, there's plenty of over-grazing in parts of Utah. I just focus on what I can do. I think a cow patty is less likely to do damage than someone dumping their shampoo/conditioner/dish soap on the ground.

I can't do too much to stop the cows, but I can do my part to leave no trace myself. Regardless of how damaging the cows are, I try to do my part not to contribute. (as I'm sure you do too).

We have plenty of bears, mountain lions, moose, coyotes, raccoons, and other critters what will wander into camp to check out human food. Utah's got some great deserts (what most RVers know due to the national parks) but we also have some amazing alpine camping. Utah is a great state. I hope people keep treating it great.

I like Idaho's slogan "Idaho is too great to litter." It's a great statement.
Agreed. We're currently in Montana, en route to the North San Rafael Swell, hopefully to be followed by some camping in the Canyon Rim area south of Moab. We used to love Zion Canyon, which I first visited in 1971, but it's just gotten much too crowded for us. Back when I lived in Utah, the Uinta Mountains and Wasatch Plateau were favorite destinations.

Len n Jeanne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 07:15 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member
1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
interesting thought. I do dump dish water on the ground, or more accurately on bushes, when we do not have full hook ups. I have not done it in an area that specifically says not to. but admittedly I think if dish water differently than I do shower water. It seems akin to brushing your teeth outside with a little cup of water.

MontyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:51 AM   #59
Rivet Master
2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Not on my land.....LOL

As I read the thread I think about folks who have swimming pools. As the unfortunate behavior of urinating in swimming pools is not uncommon, especially when we might have been younger and the swimming was associated with beer consumption, I discovered that when I had my own pool, this was something I could never do.

Maybe we need to think about dumping our waste water, gray, black, or whatever, like we were dumping this on our own front lawn. Just what would be our practice in this case. As the outdoors is in a way, someone's front lawn, this may be useful in determining our relationship to the environment.
Happy trails and Good Luck
Ms Tommie Fantine Lauer, Greensboro, NC
AIR #31871 WBCCI #4165 K4MTL
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:57 AM   #60
2 Rivet Member
2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Originally Posted by TRizzuti View Post
I don't know about the rest of the campers in the world, but it's very difficult for me to take a shower and not pee at the same time, so I don't dump my "gray" water on the ground.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:11 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:23 AM   #62
2 Rivet Member
2016 26' Flying Cloud
Spooner , Wisconsin
I am new at Airstream camping, but it seems that some of the water hoarding and gray water minimizing techniques of wilderness camping might be of interest.

Trickle down.
When wilderness camping I'm among those who pre-wash the dishes without soap and drink the rinse. Water is hard to come by and you don't waste it. I'm not suggesting, “drinking the boiled bean juice” as my sons refer to this, just applying the concept. For example, capture the “warm-up” stream before your shower to flush the toilet or water the dog. The more experienced RV folks can comment, but flushing the toilet with actual dishwater is frowned on in marine systems. The grease and soap can cake up and – as I understand it – retard the decomposition of the solid waste.

Take time washing dishes.
At camp with my dad, the evening was washing the dishes and playing cribbage. Both about equally taxing and social. He'd make something of a game of getting them clean with a minimum of water. That it took a few minutes longer didn't matter. We'd play three hands of cribbage, he'd play the harmonica, and we'd go to sleep.
As with the shower, there is a stream of warm-up water. Use it and some paper towel to get food chunks and grease off and, if practical, into the garbage rather than the black tank. Use gloves and very hot water for the actual wash and rinse. It takes less water if it is real hot and the dishes dry quickly.

Don't get dishes dirtier than necessary.
To this end, don't stack the dirty plates and thus avoid having to wash both sides. Wash the dishes in ascending order of grease. Usually that is glasses first, pans last. I have no science to recommend or prohibit letting the dogs help with this pre-cleaning phase. Are they getting them cleaner or dirtier? I don't know, but they are eager assistants and I've not experienced any issues.

Cooking habits of the thirsty.
Cut up vegetables first and meat last, for example, so that you can get by with one knife and cutting board. Maybe you want the pre-washed salad ingredients. Maybe not, the point is being mindful of water consumption when planning and preparing food.

Get acquainted with using cast iron cookware. Understand it takes little or no water – and never never any soap – to get it clean. It took some years to convince my wife of this, but she is a convert now. As noted above, I'm not suggesting you drink the bean juice, but making gravy from the grease in the pan is a delicious path to a clean pan if you use cast iron.

Pasta can be cooked in much less water than the box directions suggest. It takes a little more stirring but with practice you can do pasta with little or no water to drain off. There are pasta recipes that are arranged so that you simmer the sauce in the starch-rich pasta water, or make the sauce right in the boiling pasta.

Finally: never extinguish a campfire with dishwater. It leaves a greasy mess in the fire pit. Even if you pick every little morsel of food from the mess, it will still draw ants and mice to the place where the next campers least want them.
Happy trails.
WherryWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:47 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Willie those are very savvy camping tips for anyone in nature.

Hittenstiehl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:21 PM   #64
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I like to drink the bean juice- that is if you are talking about the juice that comes from cooking- pot liquor-

2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote