Old 12-15-2015, 11:09 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
...hmmmm microbial contamination at the dump site ... do you really want to sit or ??? on that spot ...

* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:28 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
Safe handling of grey water

We had a cute little log cabin with water supplied by rainwater off the roof and an outhouse. We built a system where Grey Water from the sink and more importantly from the shower was sent to a French Drain (loose soil, rocks, covered with gravel so no grey water ever was visible on the surface). That way rodents, insects and larger critters were not drawn to the water.

My recommendation is that each camp site should be treated like your own cabin that you plan to stay at all season - the total deposits of all campers per season is too much for a limited area, unprepared ground surface to safely take on. Here are some good books to read up on the dangers and proper methods of disposing of grey water:

The New Create an Oasis with Greywater 6th Ed: Integrated Design for Water Conservation, Reuse, Rainwater Harvesting, and Sustainable Landscaping Paperback October 15, 2015

by Art C. Ludwig (Author)

The Complete Guide to Water Storage: How to Use Gray Water and Rainwater Systems, Rain Barrels, Tanks, and Other Water Storage Techniques for Household and Emergency Use (Back to Basics Conserving) Original Edition

by Julie Fryer (Author)

Builder's Greywater Guide: Installation of Greywater Systems in New Construction and Remodeling Revised Edition Paperback September 1, 2015

by Art Ludwig (Author)

Old 02-28-2016, 04:09 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Laramie , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
I have spent time camping with some very hard-core enviro-friendly backpackers who swap out their hiking boots for "camp shoes" to minimize scuffing up the ground in the campsite, and forbid the use of tent stakes because they leave holes in the earth. They also swallow the rinse water after brushing their teeth and drink whatever water is used to rinse dirty dishes.

I do this, but it's not just because it's leave no trace (what we hard core envirofriendly backpackers call it) It's also because we either had to carry that water ourselves the 15 or more miles into the backcountry, or we had to filter and sterilize it so that water becomes precious to us. When you have to carry everything on your back, you don't waste it, and even if there is water laying around, it takes time to make it drinkable, either through chemical or mechanical means, or just boiling it. So yeah, we drink it.

The water that we do wash with, way out there in the backwoods, that isn't drinkable, first we use as safe a soap as we can find, most often Dr Bronner's. Then we wash and disperse it in a very very wide arc, not just on one spot watering a bush... and we do it far away from water.

Dumping grey water... that has soaps in it, salts, oils, food particles, it's just not cool, no mater where you are, it has impact. Even someone who uses eco friendly shampoos and cleaners, even baking soda, that builds up, and hurts either plants, or fish, or both. Why do we go out there? (I'm a backpacker as my choice of camping, and carry my house on my back, my airstream will be to live in when I'm not out there hiking) But really, you guys go out for the same reason I do. We love it, right? It's beautiful out there. The more of us find out how it is, the more of us go, let's do our part to keep it as clean and fresh and untouched by us, as possible, so that it's still there for us next time.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:22 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I often wonder:
What is really the difference in an RV camper letting the water he brushed his teeth in, bathed in, cooked in, washed dishes in go on the ground and a tent camper doing the same thing? but the tent camper isn't regulated/prohibited-

Volume
Old 08-24-2016, 08:46 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Some campgrounds- Forest Service campgrounds in particular- prohibit tent campers from washing dishes in the faucet at the campsite.
How do they intend for tent campers to wash dishes?
In the bath house so it goes through the sewer/septic system/wastewater treatment plant?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:02 PM   #34
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think they intend for people to carry water to their campsites, and do their dishes in a basin there rather than at the faucet available for everyone to use.

Think of the mess....campers lined up, dirty dishes, utensils, pots, etc., in hand...then monopolizing that faucet as well as leaving food bits and whatever around and under the faucet.

Maggie
Old 08-24-2016, 09:21 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
At the RV park in Alpine, some idiot did their dishes in the bath house sink and left the strainer clogged with vegetable bits.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:26 AM   #36
rvb
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
Washing dishes while tent camping.

[QUOTE=Lily&Me;1840598]I think they intend for people to carry water to their campsites, and do their dishes in a basin there rather than at the faucet available for everyone to use.

Think of the mess....campers lined up, dirty dishes, utensils, pots, etc., in hand...then monopolizing that faucet as well as leaving food bits and whatever around and under the faucet.

When camping with the Scouts we do the dishes at the campsite (3 or 4 pot method). After washing the dishes, food particles are strained out of the water and placed in the trash then the wash water is disposed of in one of several methods. If there is a sump at restroom for that purpose, it is dumped there. If not it's dispersing away from any campsites and water sources. When we camped at a Corps of Engineers campground we were instructed to dig a hole, pour the grey water in and fill it back up.

Grey water can attract ants and larger critters. If dispersed it evaporates quickly and is not concentrated so is less likely to attract insects and animals. Cleaning dishes at the faucet wastes water and concentrates food waste at the campsite.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:32 AM   #37
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Just what we do do...

We camp a lot in the Adirondacks....

VERY sandy soil, 'honey holes' are allowed, a tip from the Ranger on our first trip.....dig an 8-10" deep hole big enough for a plastic dishpan, punch a bunch of holes in the bottom, line it with cheese cloth and open the valve far enough for a steady slow stream. Cheese cloth in the garbage and rinse the pan.

I have used the same method for the Classic for extended stays, nice steady slo flo, close and repeat as needed.

Bob

My slo-flo dripper.....spare cap with a 1/4" hole.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08436.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	269933  

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:05 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Some campgrounds- Forest Service campgrounds in particular- prohibit tent campers from washing dishes in the faucet at the campsite.
How do they intend for tent campers to wash dishes?
In the bath house so it goes through the sewer/septic system/wastewater treatment plant?

I've seen areas set off with gravel and a faucet for tent campers to do their dishes. That way it is a centralized area, not spread out all over the cg. The wash area can be easily maintained. One area set off for most tenters to use, not a big deal.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:19 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Interesting thread. I've always taken my grey water to the outhouse, and lifted up the blue boy and dumped it in. We never dumped grey water on the ground.
A few years ago we were camped near Crested Butte Co, the CG host when she came by, said to go ahead and dump grey water on the ground. It's a lot easier than getting it up into a toilet. (If there's a dump station in the CG, I obviously dump grey water there, if not, then I'll use the pit toilet.)
I now carry a longer green hose, along with the white hoses, if the host says it's ok, we will run the hose out to various spots, and empty the grey water.
We also whipe off all dishes before washing.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:55 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Don't know if this has been mentioned before but, if you or someone urinates in the shower, it is no longer gray water, it's black water. Same thing goes if you wash out diapers etc. be careful.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:57 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I think they intend for people to carry water to their campsites, and do their dishes in a basin there rather than at the faucet available for everyone to use.

Maggie

Where do campers empty the basin?

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:41 AM   #42
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Away from their site, somewhere, unless strictly prohibited due to bears, when I have seen specific areas for dumping of dishwater.

This is the way tent campers have been doing things since day 1.

Maggie