Old 12-14-2015, 02:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I often wonder:
What is really the difference in an RV camper letting the water he brushed his teeth in, bathed in, cooked in, washed dishes in go on the ground and a tent camper doing the same thing? but the tent camper isn't regulated/prohibited-

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I often wonder:
What is really the difference in an RV camper letting the water he brushed his teeth in, bathed in, cooked in, washed dishes in go on the ground and a tent camper doing the same thing? but the tent camper isn't regulated/prohibited-
Some cg I have been do regulate the tenters by giving them a designated dump spot usually a raised gravel area or a regular dump pipe.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:27 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
When we camped in the Sierras at a campground next to a river no gray water could be dumped within100 ft. of the stream. They did allow us to release water on the dirt roads which helped keep the dust down. I put a sprinkler head on the blue boy hose fitting so the water was widely dispersed and walked along the road to our camp site.

Dennis
Old 12-14-2015, 04:04 PM   #18
rvb
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
Grey water

I camped for years in tents while working with the Boy Scouts. Many camps provide a sump adjacent to the privy or rest rooms specifically for disposal of grey water. One Corp of Engineer's area had one restroom for the whole camp and directed us to dig a hole and use it as a grey water sump then fill it in before leaving. A general rule is if dish water is dumped on a tree or in the bushes it should be away from the camping area because any food particles will attract ants.

When I wash dishes, I wipe off any food residue or grease with a paper towel which goes out with the trash, then in a small basin in the sink use a spray bottle with a soap/water mix, scrub then rinse. This uses a lot less water and soap and most of the grease and food particles don't go in the water or in my tanks.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:09 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
I can go up to 7 days with out dumping so I have not had a need. I worked all my life in the production of Milk, meat and eggs. In this production a lot of "by product is produced. If spread thinly on the ground I have never seen this "by product" hurt anything.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:22 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Food particles are very obvious in dish water even after sitting in the grey water tank. I have found a partial solution, the sink drain now has a fine screen that fits the 1.25 inch opening. Grey water can be minimized by the way the dishes are washed and the type of showers taken. To reduce the water used in the shower change or modify the shower head to one with smaller openings, the dishes don't need to have a sink full of water, a soapy sponge(dilute the original dish washing detergent to make it easier to control amount used) and minimal rinsing will reduce the grey water volume. Paper plates without plastic layer can be burned in the fire pit.

On reading post above this, I would say other posters are more familiar with saturation camping, when a small site is used every day, too many dropping grey water will be a problem. Out on a farm or large space with occasional campers would make a big difference.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:40 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
A person dumping their grey water around their campsite generally causes no problems. But consider the cumulative effect. I worked at a state park on the Oregon coast for 18 years. There a campsite would be occupied almost every day for about 180 consecutive days each year. The grey water dumped daily would turn the site into a slimy, stinking mess and had to be outlawed.

At a little used area dumping grey water can actually benefit the site by providing some much needed water for the nearby plants.

Sam
Old 12-14-2015, 05:30 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Some cg I have been do regulate the tenters by giving them a designated dump spot usually a raised gravel area or a regular dump pipe.

I have never seen any regulation for tent campers. There aren't any regulations locally that I'm aware of.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:08 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Some in ga and fl do.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:04 AM   #24
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
In public CGs without hookups, there are a couple of solutions:

1. Take along a bucket, and empty the gray water into the utility sink, assuming they have one.

2. Take along a "biffy box" or portable waste water tank, and empty your grey water at your nearest RV dump station.

3. In an extreme case, you could hitch up your AS and drive to the dump station.

I'll defer to any microbiologists reading this thread, but gray water doesn't seem completely innocuous, if you think about the possibility of a previous camper with a transmittable illness dumping dish, tooth brushing, and bathroom hand washing water at your campsite.

In CGs with potential bear problems, it's best to be incredibly careful about food disposal, including those bits and pieces from dish washing.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:17 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Albuquerque , New Mexico
Most states do not consider dishwashing or kitchen sink discharge to be gray water, for good reason.

My state, New Mexico, defines gray water as "untreated household wastewater that has not come in contact with toilet waste and includes wastewater from bathtubs, showers, washbasins, clothes washing machines and laundry tubs, but does not include wastewater from kitchen sinks or dishwashers or laundry water from the washing of material soiled with human excreta, such as diapers." I have a compliant gray water system connected to my master bath shower at home, plumbed to a below-grade irrigation system that waters my trees. (TRizzuti, I pee before I get into the shower.)

The problem with dumping gray water, particularly including soaps and food waste, on the ground surface is not your one-time discharge, but the cumulative impact of many campers year after year and the resulting problems with vector control. Rodents, cockroaches and flies anyone?
Old 12-15-2015, 08:27 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
corpus christi , Texas
We try to limit grey water since our grey tank is small about 18 gallons. So wipe all plates , utensils , pots and pans with paper towels or napkins saved throughout the day(If they are not to gross). Wash and rinse in plastic tubs in sink with small amount of soap (sink is to shallow anyway). Does not take much soap if wiped good first. Rinse water will normally go into fire ring since there is no food scrapes and little soap in it. No wet spot to step in and puts the fire out if we have had one.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:38 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Box Elder , South Dakota
You should strain the gray water and then scatter it over a wide area rather than pouring it into one location.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:48 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Our '66 Trade Wind has no grey tank as do many pre '74s. We carry an 11 gal blue boy. I got the 11 gal because our black tank's max capacity should I need to dispose of that at a dump station without towing the trailer during a stay. The same is for dry camping and grey waste. Some federal campgrounds have grey dumps with dish wash stations. 11 gals is reasonably easy to hand walk.....even with my bad knees. Just 2 of us...we use the camp toilets when we can thus extending black disposal up to 5 - 10 days....using the toilet just for after dark or inclement weather. The blue boy remains connected until full of grey water. Works for us.

Neil

FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote