Old 07-12-2016, 11:34 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Compared to my older Delorme Atlas's, the newer editions have more detail. Since I have written notes in the blank spaces around each page of my older editions, and mark our Base Camp sites over the years... I will have to stick with my older editions.

I believe that Delorme is fighting the electronic map versions with reduced sales and found it best to sell what inventory they have on hand, now... rather than no sales. At least if the batteries go dead in your GPS unit... paper does has its advantages.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:32 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
Houston , Texas
Just ordered Colorado and New Mexico thanks Ray.

Mike

Old 07-16-2016, 02:05 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
I love maps so I bit the bullet and ordered the boxed set of the entire US. Pretty pricey, but I'll tell my kids they don't need to send me a joint Father's Day gift for the next couple of years. It's coming out of their inheritance. The coupon only gave me a third off on the set.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:35 AM   #18
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
Van By The River , Georgia
Like a Timex... It Still Works

After returning from the Wyoming rockdocking trip it was apparent I/we needed maps for additional states we plan to visit. I ordered Gazeteers from DeLorme and the coupon code still works!

The coupon can be found at:

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/delorme.com

The products have to be ordered directly from DeLorme. The maps I purchased varied in price from just under $20 to nearly $30 and the coupon code subtracted 50% on each item.

The boxed sets are reduced price to start with so the coupon code only subtracts 25 - 30%.

You still have to pay S&H and tax but if you're buying more than one atlas the coupon racks up savings quickly.
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:47 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
DeLorme 'Old and New' Atlases no longer correlate

DeLorme has some smart staff on the 'new DeLorme' Atlases being offered.

The National Forest, BLM, School Sections and National Parks on the new printings are not distinct as they only color the boundaries. The detail is sharper. GPS grids. The older versions may have coordinates and later editions with coordinates and GPS grids.

The slickest change made are the page numbers. The older editions pagination index are no longer used in the newest editions. So if I were to ask you to go to page 49... the new edition is not MY page 49. Several of us discovered this on the Wyoming Adventure when I said 'you cannot miss it' on page 49 6B. The index and pages have been flipped so an old edition and the new edition are no longer compatible. You could be in the middle of a Lake with the new edition.

Both the older and newer editions are great references. Just no longer compatible for indexing between the two to coordinate locations.

There are of course more detailed maps for Off the Grid roads and potential campsites. I have BOXES of maps from US Geological Survey, National Forest Service, National Grasslands, National Historic maps like the Oregon Trail and the Quadrangles for convenient detailed coverage. I like the elevation contours so a route can be chosen with ease. Few maps go that far as the cost 'use to be' prohibitive.

Some of my maps are from the late 19th Century and early 20th Century. I may have thousands of these with Geological Survey stratigraphy, mineral deposits, mining areas and surveys.

The State Highway maps are intended to help travelers find the major routes within any State. These others... are for those, like myself, who find getting to a small pin point location without needing a tow truck to pull me out of a sand dune... or mud pit.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:18 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks Ray for the clarifications. Aren't old topo maps great? Many times there are structures shown, the foundations of which are still there in the ground. Unfortunately reading maps esp. topo information is a dying art.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:29 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Topo Maps... a dying art

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks Ray for the clarifications. Aren't old topo maps great? Many times there are structures shown, the foundations of which are still there in the ground. Unfortunately reading maps esp. topo information is a dying art.

Wally, you are close to understanding about topo maps.

The maps are still great... the users are 'dying out'.

Many of my thousands of geological papers usually have one or more colored topographic, geologic, mining, etc. maps in a pocket at the end of the text. These maps are removed, pressed flat and inserted into an expensive frame. They are ART FORMS that, as imperfect as they were being drawn and engraved by people seeing the geology in detail and in person... still are a reminder how talented these early explorers were in their professions.

There are also great Soil Survey maps and Water Survey maps... even copies of the publications, when California managed to claim the water of the Colorado River from the rubes in the Rockies. The locals believing, who in their right mind would live in the Rockies, anyways. Now we are closer to water rationing in Colorado and the ski resorts fight over water to make snow each year.... that is assigned to others. Oh well. That is close to being accurate, but embellished a bit for some examples.

I traded a hundred pounds or more of Arkansas crystal clear quartz crystals for a newly discovered hoard of Leadville, Colorado mining district maps from 1905. They were tearing down buildings and several guys found the unused stack of 36"by 36" maps of the Leadville Mining District. In two paper stocks... if you want to know that much detail.

A Map Dealer in Boulder, Colorado traded me some reprints from 1860's Denver for one. I figure I have $15 in each copy I own. His in house framer did a frame that made the map look like the 'rarest in the world' and a piece of Colorado History. Price: $1500.00

So, those of you who junked your Dad's geological Professional Papers and Bulletins... you may have tossed away your paying for a new F350 Diesel Ford Pickup truck. Those obsolete maps are worth more than the book and... like cash, worth more than the paper they are printed upon.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:07 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I ordered three of them and the code worked for me. Thanks.
I ordered three of them and suffered intense buyer's remorse because they don't fit my needs.

They devote too much coverage to urban areas and not enough to rural areas. Most of us do not need urban paper coverage - we have cellular devices to deliver that information. We need solid rural paper map coverage where no cell phone is capable of receiving data, and the DeLorme product comes up unworkably short because it doesn't label tertiary roads.

I have a 10-year-old MAPSCO for Texas that has all rural roads identified. On a website for today's equivalent product, they make this claim: "No other atlas, either online or printed, contains the county roads, back roads, dirt roads, creeks and waterways, parks, lake and river access, pipelines, transmission lines, cemeteries and other landmarks that appear in The Roads of Texas." Based on the options that I have seen to date, that claim is true.