Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2019, 10:35 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Conestoga Wagon Camping versus Airstream Boondocking

I have to sit back and just chuckle at the fringe elements that consider ANY place you park for an evening or a month... is Boondocking. My back yard obviously fits that definition...if I moved our 27 foot International about 35 feet to the North, out of our RV garage's rear exit. Or parked on the street. I would have a beautiful view of Lake Mead and the mountains surrounding our home.

Boondocking: Boondocking is essentially camping without hookups. You may also hear it referred to as 'dry camping'. Often, dry camping means staying in a campground without hookups, whereas, boondocking typically means staying in a completely undeveloped area.Mar 29, 2011 (Google Defintion)

Soft Boondocking is a National Forest Service, BLM, State, County, City, Town campsite. I say soft because this is not Boondocking. The word has been adulterated into a non meaning term to fit a RV Park with flushing toilets, mirrors over the sinks... kind of camping. Maybe a swimming pool and laundry service, tossed in for the fragile campers.

One post on a Thread has no idea of City Camping versus Undeveloped.

This is like having the OSHA Cowboy wearing safety gear so not to get hurt at a Rodeo or while working at a Ranch. A total fabrication of misinformed individual(s). I had to explain this to a High School gymnasium full of upset Ranchers in Newcastle, Wyoming in 1970. I was a ripe old 20 year old that could handle a rowdy crowd of Independent People.

Much like Off the Grid Boondockers. Not idiots as some want to believe.

If you use a SheepHerder's Wagon, a camper on a pickup truck or an Airstream... the definition does not change. Go back and read this definition, again.

They imagine dumping Black Water sewage down pits, and fouling Rivers and Lakes as the locations Airstream Boondockers frequent. Then dump their Grey and Blackwater into the river and lake for convenience.

These knuckle heads need to get a check up and an eye and head examination.

Some of us lived in Remote areas. No electricity, no running water, outside privies. I did as a youth in western Montana. I did not mind. We would go into town and managed to use the flushing toilet and not be tempted to drop our drawers alongside the driveway and walk off...

Some Forum Members just have nothing better to do and imagine what others do when they are actually so far into the 'bush', any direction is still remote.

Equate Tent camping, Sheepherder Wagons, Conestoga Wagons, Hunter's Camps and Off the Grid Boondocking as similar activities.

I entertained the idea that Airstream owners could adapt to change from a conventional Tea Service Camp Site to actual Boondocking where it can rain, snow, hail, sunny, cloudy, dust, wind. sunrise, sunset, trees, wild animals, snakes... things out of one's control... but to some weather should be avoided and managed.

Since I am not intending to write a book about REAL Boondocking to those who wear smoke jackets and jewelry camped in remote locations, like Palm Springs or a security patrolled RV Park with showers and a movie theatre... I will let others step in and finish what I have started.

Sometimes Black Water and Common Sense get confused. No wonder the peace and quiet of remote camping is so appealing. To pull out a lawn chair and be able to say... "This is what I have been living for after retirement."

Old 09-08-2019, 12:36 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Sanford , Arizona

SewStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:41 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Unless you have about 10 oxen handy (and likely more sets as backups), your "Made in Lancaster PA" Conestoga wagon will have its own issues associated with it. Something a bit lighter seems to have been the more standard approach "back in the day".

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:01 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
I had someone tell me that having an Airstream was not real camping then proceed to tell me about the enormous tent, oven and other camping accessories they own. All readily available at Dick’s.
So basically if you have matches your not roughing it enough. Camping is whatever you want it to be. An RV Park with nightly movies is paradise to some and awesome for kids. I have friends that were forced to “boondocks” with their parents as kids and hated every minute of it.
And by the way. When was the last time anyone saw someone wearing a smoking jacket in an RV Park or anywhere else for that matter?
Thanks for reading.

Fragile Camper
Shiny16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:12 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
My favorite thing about RV Parks is that it never snows. Generally because I only go in the summer. Maybe the OP could recommend one that also never rains and perhaps serves a good Earl Grey that I could enjoy with my nightly Prince Albert.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
And by the way. When was the last time anyone saw someone wearing a smoking jacket in an RV Park or anywhere else for that matter?

Fragile Camper
As I recall, the last time I was out with Ray, he was wearing a smoking jacket. I think he had gotten a little too close to the fire. He was easily doused with a bucket of water from the creek.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 02:45 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalweg View Post
As I recall, the last time I was out with Ray, he was wearing a smoking jacket. I think he had gotten a little too close to the fire. He was easily doused with a bucket of water from the creek.
Now that’s a “smoking jacket”. If you were in a RV Park you could have used a hose.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalweg View Post

I was actually roasting chestnuts by the fire and my pants caught fire, I assume.

The smoking jacket was just an accident and it was my wet Levi Jacket drying out from the August 2016 Wyoming Adventure where it snowed, hailed, rained that afternoon. You know, the one with the round University of Wyoming patch on the shoulder I have owned since 1972 in Laramie and still fits. Maybe needs a washing, but it keeps flies, ticks and tourists away.

Brent... he is a hoot. The master map maker of Wyoming. His home is sitting on top of an Indian Military Fort. Some day... he will get a knock on his door and it will be Me, Nancy and the two Blue Heelers. Much like a Bad Dream repeating.

The two Blue Heelers will also 'thank you' for being so kind in their own way.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
How about camping in a U-Haul trailer?

So much in life is relative. I grew up on a ranch in Texas and married a Southern California beach girl, a very pretty beach girl. You would think that she was pretty fancy, and she was, on the surface. But when she was young her father worked as a California SP ranger and they lived in Borrego Springs. The only fancy thing there during her childhood was when the new A&W was built.

Short story to demonstrate the fiber of this women. Immediately after returning from our honeymoon we packed up a U-Haul trailer and set out from Newport Beach in California (very fancy) to move to Oregon (not so fancy). On the last night on the road, soon after crossing the Oregon state line, we were so low on funds that we didn’t want to spend money on a motel. So we pulled in behind a gas station in Canyonville, Oregon, emptied out most of the U-Haul, and slept in it.

Is that dry camping or boondocking?

That was 52 years ago and we’ve managed to move up to an Airstream.
WBCCI #4291

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled. ~ Robert Frost
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Unless you have about 10 oxen handy (and likely more sets as backups), your "Made in Lancaster PA" Conestoga wagon will have its own issues associated with it. Something a bit lighter seems to have been the more standard approach "back in the day".

Bob

Oh yeah. Uncle Bob is a Eastern Hooter. Not the same as a Wyoming Hooter, of Brent sorts.

Unlike an Airstream, you cannot back up a Conestoga Wagon. No 'Rear End' view camera... Get it? Rear End view? Oh well.

Yes, I know. I should be working on my Airstream... but am still looking, other than lug nuts... nothing has caught fire or over heated.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:35 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Vicki View Post
So much in life is relative. I grew up on a ranch in Texas and married a Southern California beach girl, a very pretty beach girl. You would think that she was pretty fancy, and she was, on the surface. But when she was young her father worked as a California SP ranger and they lived in Borrego Springs. The only fancy thing there during her childhood was when the new A&W was built.

Short story to demonstrate the fiber of this women. Immediately after returning from our honeymoon we packed up a U-Haul trailer and set out from Newport Beach in California (very fancy) to move to Oregon (not so fancy). On the last night on the road, soon after crossing the Oregon state line, we were so low on funds that we didn’t want to spend money on a motel. So we pulled in behind a gas station in Canyonville, Oregon, emptied out most of the U-Haul, and slept in it.

Is that dry camping or boondocking?

That was 52 years ago and we’ve managed to move up to an Airstream.

John... I think you were one sly old fox to pull this one on your Bride. Good for you. Never tried that as an excuse.

It was neither. You did not mention if it was raining or not. If it was raining... Boondocking. If not... you sly old fox, you.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:02 PM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One does not need to have an Airstream to overdo things....

Once upon a time, back when we lived in Kansas, we were out with the full spread of tents and a couple freinds. I suspect that got it up to four or five tents, depending on exactly when it was. We got talking to one of the families in a Class A up the hill. They commented that they usually felt like they were overdoing things a bit, but after seeing us set up, felt much better

Bob (in Montana at the moment, having left Wyoming .... )
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
John&Vicki
"Is that dry camping or boondocking?"

I think technically speaking, you were not really camping and you weren't really boondocking, I think that might be "dry docking"

Good story!

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:16 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Found your Conestoga Wagon!

Ray, a few weeks ago we stayed at Winding River Resort Campground inside Rocky Mountain National Park. While taking a walk around the place we stumbled across two Conestoga Wagons set up for camping. Maybe if I was younger it would be fun but I’m happy with our Airstream!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F66D12B5-5512-4DE1-8259-FC86F7CCD4A2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	575.2 KB
ID:	351721   Click image for larger version

Name:	E6BECB38-8149-41D5-9E1C-F6368A1C6C10.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	544.4 KB
ID:	351722  

WBCCI# 10258
2020 Retirement Plan