Old 05-29-2016, 10:26 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Monmouth , Oregon
Composting Toilet

Hi all,

We are boon-docking backcountry hunters and hikers. We are sold on the idea of swapping our conventional toilet for a composting unit. I have two questions:

Can anyone recommend a toilet to me that is budget minded but still quality?

Has anyone successfully converted their black water tank, our '71 Overlander has no grey tank, to a grey water storage tank?

Thanks everyone!

2016 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 Crew Longbed
Thiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sneedville , Tennessee
We use the Natureshead but it isn't budget friendly, about $1000!

Old 05-29-2016, 01:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Nature's Head. Worth every penny. Your black tank is above the floor and water will come up through the shower drain if you try to get the gray water to go into the black tank.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:36 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Would that be same for a '72 Sov? If I leave my dump valve open grey water would flow into black tank as below the bathroom floor ... I need to try that .
Old 07-11-2016, 08:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickclifford View Post
Would that be same for a '72 Sov? If I leave my dump valve open grey water would flow into black tank as below the bathroom floor ... I need to try that .
If your black tank is below the floor it is news to me. Black tank should be inside the box pedestal under the toilet and above the floor. This was done to prevent freezing in early and late season use. A hot air duct from the furnace also went into that box to keep things warm. If your shower has its own drain point you might be ok, but common practice was for the shower, vanity sink and kitchen sink to be plumbed together into a collector between the black tank dump valve and the sewer hose connector. The shower drain, being at floor level, is below the black tank level. Opening the black tank dump valve could net you a very nasty surprise.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:55 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Monmouth , Oregon
Our black tank is below the floor. The toilet is attached to the floor and not on a pedestal.

After some boon docking for a three day weekend. We have decided to stay conventional RV toilet and tank. It will be easier for us to manage our little boy's toileting behavior.

Also, I decided that I am going to leave the toilet disconnected from the fresh water supply, the line froze with the previous owner and I just shut off the valve to the toilet supply in the water heater cabinet. The shower handle reaches the toilet and easy enough to add fresh water to the bowl.

Thanks for your recommendations everyone, I may switch to a composting head in the future.

2016 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 Crew Longbed
Thiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
On a 72 the tank is below the floor between the frame rails. It is encased in an insulated galvanized tank. It also has a heat vent blowing into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:39 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrosti View Post
On a 72 the tank is below the floor between the frame rails. It is encased in an insulated galvanized tank. It also has a heat vent blowing into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
yes, i figured as much. the toilet sits flush to the floor. I'm going to experiment with using the black tank for grey water, AS actually mentions that possibility in the manual i think. If we go with a composting toilet this would be a great solution .. ??
Old 07-16-2016, 10:13 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
My black tank was toast and the floor under it was rotted. When I added up the expense and the work to restore to original vs going with a composting toilet I was in deeper by $200 to go composting. I thought that was a good value for not needing to go to a sani dump every camping trip.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:23 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
LaMarque , Texas
Ok not sure if this belongs here or not but here it goes. I have a question. I sold my Airstream last week to a friend. He is heading north and will be on the road for a few days. Yesterday he texted me that he was flushed the black tank from the connection outside and when he opened the water it ran out from under the trailer. It sounds like the hose has come off or loose inside the skin. I flushed all tanks before he picked her up and all was good. My water pressure here at home is about 30#. He was on the road at an RV park. I'm told that the normal water pressure in most parks is a lot higher. I think this higher pressure and maybe opening the value to quickly may have pushed the hose off the flush fitting. Not sure. My question is just how can this be checked out and or repaired.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums silver bp