Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking

Old 08-15-2010, 06:12 AM   #29
Rivet Master
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
My wife and I have a 20 gallon water tank on our Sport 22. For increasing our water capacity, we have purchased six aqua-tainers (Cabela's, 7-gallon) that we fill before leaving for a trip. They certainly add weight until we use them, but they are easily carried in the front of the truck bed, and with a large flexible funnel we are able to refill our trailer water tank easily. That's 20 gallons in the tank and 42 gallons in reserve!

We also have dual batteries and a Honda 2000i Companion generator. I'm guessing we can make it a week with adequate water conservation. I too, understand the need for ice cubes for the Johnny Walker green label.

We are planning a circle tour of Michigan's Upper Peninsula, mostly boon docking, starting September 27. I'll keep u posted!

Hibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:38 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
Denver , Colorado
Sorry, I lost track of this thread....here's the details on our Denver solar project. It's been working great all summer...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Denver solar panel.pdf (329.5 KB, 161 views)

Jim and Marsha
"Stream of Consciousness"
AIR #35886
JimmyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member
1967 22' Safari
South East Idaho , South East Idaho
I left home with 30gal fresh water. But found 3 hrs on the road I lost a bit from the sloshing out of the tank vent. Those curves realy know how to throw water around. Was able to refile on sight using the 7 gal wal mart jugs.
Used the generator each day to keep battery level in the green.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dodge 025.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	135444  
Grad67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:26 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member
1969 18' Caravel
Bee Cave , Texas
on demand hot water heater

Just a thought,....when our hot water heater goes , we are definitely going to replace it with an on demand. It takes up less space and then you have more space to other things. Bob
Beecavetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:32 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
2011 23' International
Larkspur , Colorado
We just finished 5 days of boondocking at the Difficult Campground 6 miles out of Aspen CO. We attended the JazzAspenSnowmass Festival which was awesome and fly fished the "pan" and "fork" which were perfect this time of year. The Difficult campground was for the most part empty due to bear encounters in the campground on Aug 15, 2011. Labor Day weekend was way off for the camp hosts since they would not allow soft sided trailers and tent campers by order of the USFS (sighted safety concerns). Never saw the bear!

Anyways we worked it out so that power consumption was no worries with our 2011 23' International. We had 2 batteries that were able to pretty much manage everything except for the microwave rice my wife bought (will never do again), which required the Honda 2000i and we watched one movie "Open Range" which is one of my FAVs. Other that that we didn't need power back up for charging. However managing the black water seems to be the issue at least if you have any trust in the gauges that tell us what's going on. Not to be gross we managed all solids with the campground facilities, but 5 days was the maximum for us as we managed as best as possible (I take my single malt neat too).. We'll need to come up with alternative solutions for longer stays. I really don't want to pull trailer out and have to go to a dump station. oh well we had a fantastic trip andthe AS was the envy of the place.

Next trip Palisades Wine Festival in Palisades CO. Yahoo!!

P.S. Bear photo from back of home...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1266480168.png
Views:	97
Size:	869.1 KB
ID:	139478  
Allan & Vicki
Larkspur, CO
Be we, fish on!
Bigcgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:27 PM   #34
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia

I am not sure I understand the reason to go with a tankless waterheater. The std 6 gal wh takes up very little space, is very realiable and is probably much less expensive. You may save a little money on operating costs, but not much. You may be able to take a longer shower but then you run out of either water or where do you store the waste.

We always use the campground toilet facitlities since we do not have a black water tank.

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:40 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member
1969 18' Caravel
Bee Cave , Texas
on demand hot water heater

I guess you are right but when you would be hooked up to water perhaps it would be better ??
Beecavetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:28 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member
2010 22' Sport
Boise , Idaho
I've only lost battery power once and that was on the second night. I have a generator and this was the first trip that I used it. I ran it for about 1/2 hour, then turned it off, but left it plugged into the Airstream. Six hours later the battery was nearly dead. Could the fact that I left the generator plugged in to the A/S have discharged the battery?
baldwin6601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member
2010 22' Sport
Boise , Idaho
Five days is alot! Our black water tank is never a problem, but our gray water tank is usually full after 3-4 days. We have just started using a dish pan to wash dishes rather than in the sink, take showers outside with one of those Cabella's shower tent gizmos and we have a collapseable rubber bucket that we use to lug dish water to one of the dishwater dump sites. That seems to be helping.

baldwin6601 is offline   Reply With Quote