Old 06-30-2016, 08:26 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
It turned into this since this is the wild west internet. At least no one said that they saw Elvis

ProPride
NØVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:16 AM   #58

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
It turned into this since this is the wild west internet. At least no one said that they saw Elvis

Everyone knows Elvis never leaves Vegas!

2015 F350 CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel
2010 27FB Silver Cloud "The Silver Spoon"

Old 07-03-2016, 11:04 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
This post is for Ray Eklund, the OP, who wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Monarch Pass at 11,312 feet... NEVER do I want to repeat that experience, again. Well, maybe once more... but NEVER a third time, for sure.
Ray, I'm curious what freaked you out about this pass. It's been years since I've been there, but others I know have not had a problem as long as they were cautious. The Mountain Directory West lists it at 6% grade in either direction with 30-45 mph curves. We're heading over Monarch later in the month and would really like to know what you encountered that made you feel so iffy about it. I understand from your previous posts that you're an old hand at Rocky Mountain travel, so I respect your opinion. Please give details. Thanks,

Climber
Old 07-04-2016, 05:01 PM   #60
Rivet Master

Climber,
From what I understood from Ray's posting so....it was the engine, transmission. And trailer brakes "tango" that provided the biggest challenge.

I experienced all but the trailer brake portion....glad to not have that to deal with as I went over Monarch pass twice in my Airstream Interstate. It is doable just be cautious...and practice the "tango" on lesser grades prior to Monarch. Be safe.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:51 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fairmont , Minnesota
As a Minnesota flatlander , I understand the concept of using the engine/transmission to manage your speed. Can you help me understand when you should apply the trailer brakes manually. I have an integrated braking system.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:17 AM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Apply the trailer brakes manually every morning when you leave the campground. I do it when we are moving at about 5 mph just to make sure they are working.

It is a complete mystery to me why anyone would use half of their vehicle's brakes (i.e: just the trailer's brakes through manual application) at the point when their need for braking capability is at its maximum (i.e.: on a steep downhill).

As you begin the downhill after cresting a pass, use lower gearing (your tow vehicle manufacturer tells you how to do that in the owners manual). Use every brake you've got (ok... not every brake... save the emergency brake) if the drive train isn't holding the speed you want.

I guess there is one case where I would apply trailer brakes manually on a steep downhill grade... if the brake pedal of my truck went to the floor and braking action from its use stopped completely.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:43 AM   #63
Rivet Master

Wesair...

I can think of two instances that when I would apply just the trailer brakes.

#1 If I got into a trailer oscillating sway situation ( it's like a dog waging it's tail) Applying just the trailer brakes helps you stabilize the trailer.

#2 If I was stopping quickly on a curve, especially on wet or gravel OR downhill surfaces. Applying just the trailer brakes helps prevent the trailer from pushing the tow vehicle into a jack knife.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:05 AM   #64
Rivet Master

I was told by my brother…...

First off…, that I was a no good for nothin' flatlander.

Secondly, that some seasoned mountain drivers, to avoid riding, and ruining there brakes, to avoid stressing there transmission and engine…simply come to a complete stop every so often, when on long downhills.

Obviously traffic would have to be light
Old 08-15-2016, 06:00 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
A few years ago we were in Rocky Mtn Natl Park, when the big rains hit, and knocked out both roads heading south and east. Many parts of Estes Park were under water. We had to take Trailridge Road out then we went through Winter Park on Highway 40 on the way down to I-70. I'm not sure which pass that was. We pull a 23FB with a Tundra. I just did 2nd gear down the mountain, and had no issues. For me, a man of very limited patience, I just have to go slow, and take my time. If you hurry, I think you could get in trouble pretty easily.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:50 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Hi Wesair from Minnesota "flatlands". I lived in Minnesota for 16 years. Loved it. I've been through Fairmont many times. I moved to Colorado and pulling my 34 foot nearly 7500 pound loaded Airstream down these long 7% grades takes some practice. Your approach is right on. Do like the big semi trucks do, get in the right lane, turn on your flashers, and keep that speed down. My Super Duty diesel is a blessing in these mountains. The "tow / haul" feature allows significant engine braking to the point I can go down a 5% grade at 45mph in 3rd gear without using vehicle or trailer brakes at all.

So we are planning a trip going north on Colorado highway 40 from I-70 to Estes Park with other stops along the way. Did you notice any steep switch backs that I might have trouble bending a 22 foot long truck with a 34 foot long trailer around?

David
Old 08-16-2016, 05:48 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
So we are planning a trip going north on Colorado highway 40 from I-70 to Estes Park with other stops along the way. Did you notice any steep switch backs that I might have trouble bending a 22 foot long truck with a 34 foot long trailer around?

David
If I remember correctly, there were some fairly tight switchbacks, but none that seemed to really catch my attention. Its the tight right hand turns into a switchback that seemed the worst. I also do not recall any signs warning trucks to stay off the roads due to tight turns. I did notice those signs on Independence Pass, coming back from Aspen towards Leadville. (We had gone over Hagerman Pass on the way over, both without the trailer.) I wish I had a better recollection of the drive. It was actually fairly uneventful. We enjoyed the views, but were still in shock from what we had seen in Estes Park, and what we were hearing on the news.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:11 AM   #68
1 Rivet Member

Went over Monarch pass twice this past week with my F150 pulling my '14 25 FB Serrentiy. No problems, just took it a little slow. Did it during the middle of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-18-2016, 07:01 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
I tried to edit my post above regarding tight right hand turns. Those would be on the assent, not coming down the pass. Couldn't edit for some reason.
Thx
Old 09-22-2016, 08:29 AM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
2016 26' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
We finished up 6 weeks in Colorado. The Million Dollar Hwy was the one that had me clenching the most- especially since the rain waited until we were on the downslope...