Old 06-21-2016, 12:15 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'm going to try to avoid those really high suckers...

Maggie

Old 06-21-2016, 12:20 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
RFP-You have one of the very best 1/2 ton trucks to pull that trailer, in my opinion. You will love the way it climbs the mountains. On the down side of the mountain, be sure the tow/haul button is pushed, put the transmission in M, and use the +/- buttons to set the gear you want to use. You can lock out any of the higher gears you want to, and keep a check on your transmission temp. Don't mean to be telling you how to drive your 150 but having one, have put it through its paces many times. That 150 is a beast.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
I've been over most of them including Mosquito, Engineer, Black Bear, Imogene, just did Cottonwood a couple weeks ago - none of those with my Airstream. Monarch, Wolf Creek, La Veta, and Raton - even good old Monument Hill where I live are passes I have a high regard for and approach with extreme care and caution pulling my trailer! These passes basically create their own weather and you can be driving in sunshine heading into the pass and be in fog and even snow year round as you approach the top. Someone told me Cottonwood was going to be closed for the next two years, I have not confirmed it, but we are going back this fall to see the Aspen in fall colors!
Old 06-21-2016, 12:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaDog View Post

1. US16 up and over the Big Horn National Forest in Wyoming. The eastern side includes a 9% grade and has the only runaway truck ramp I've ever seen with a downhill slope on a grade that steep. They must has repurposed arresting gear from an aircraft carrier for the nets in that thing.
This is about two miles from my house. I drive it several times per week. I don't think it's quite that steep. I believe the signs say 6%, maybe 7%. Fortunately, the steep part is only about six miles. Also, there are no 1000 foot drops, 150 maybe, but only trucks have an issue with it.

Here is some info on that runaway ramp. I think there are only a couple like it in the country. http://www.wyoroad.info/Highway/Runa...mpInfo2012.pdf
Old 06-21-2016, 02:29 PM   #19
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Full time traveler
Try Baja and then post again.

I've done the passes with my 25 ft. AS, with exception of Independence which I did by car.

By far the most harrowing of my over one million miles of driving was to tow AS the length of Baja, crossing at Tecate.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:45 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Deming , Full-time RVer
Count me in for Baja...or maybe not. :-)

Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCR View Post
I've done the passes with my 25 ft. AS, with exception of Independence which I did by car.

By far the most harrowing of my over one million miles of driving was to tow AS the length of Baja, crossing at Tecate.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:00 PM   #21
RFP
4 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWhereTowed View Post
RFP-You have one of the very best 1/2 ton trucks to pull that trailer, in my opinion. You will love the way it climbs the mountains. On the down side of the mountain, be sure the tow/haul button is pushed, put the transmission in M, and use the +/- buttons to set the gear you want to use. You can lock out any of the higher gears you want to, and keep a check on your transmission temp. Don't mean to be telling you how to drive your 150 but having one, have put it through its paces many times. That 150 is a beast.
Thank you, "Go," for your encouraging reply... I am grateful that you took the time to help allay my fears

Yep, I am confident in the capabilities of the truck, and I've pretty well mastered the use of those +/- buttons, so I should be good. Anyway, a certain amount of "caution" (read stark terror!) just might serve me well.

Thanks again!

Rob

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:01 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Rob, just take your time, do your research ahead of the trip so you know what to expect. In lower elevations, learn to use your engine and transmission along with your trailer brakes...on those less steep grades before you get to the bigger steep grades. Try to use your vehicle brakes judiciously so as to not over stress them. If this senior little old lady can learn how....so can you! Have confidence in yourself and your rig, be careful....most of all enjoy your travels. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:16 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Breckenridge , Colorado
Please be considerate of other drivers. If you need to go up or down a pass at 35mph and the speed limit is 50mph, it is courteous to pull over and let other drivers pass.
- Dave
Old 06-21-2016, 07:41 PM   #24
Long time owner

2004 25' Classic
1974 25' Tradewind
1970 21' Globetrotter
Forrest City , Arkansas
I will be in the mountains of Colorado in about two weeks. Been there before and I have to agree with the comments about Independence Pass. I did not know that RVs were no suppose to use this Pass if over a certain length until the manager at the campground on the other side asked how I got there. Will not do again!

For you folks looking for "fun", give Great Bear Pass a try. It is between Montana and Wyoming east of Yellowstone north of Powell, Wyoming. I will always remember it because it was the first pass I ever went thru in my RV.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:01 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
31' classic behind the 6.7 dodge cumalong with the exhaust brake on, sitting back and enjoying the ride....
Old 06-21-2016, 10:55 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Parnell , Iowa
Have done Engineer, Imogene, Mosquito but have not done Black Bear pass as my Tacoma's wheel base is to long for the switch backs. All were more interesting than any passes I have towed over. Amazing how the miners got the equipment up on the mountains with horse and mule. Interesting to see what is still there.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:57 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Yorba Linda , California
Ho hum. I've traversed many supposedly hair raising passes all over the west. "Rex" our 2015 F250 diesel takes it all in stride towing our 27' Flying Cloud. Turbodiesel power is not impacted by elevation on the up grade and the brakes are seldom tapped if you plan ahead for the downgrade and set up your engine brake and transmission settings Before it's too late. We specified our TV especially with these high elevation passes in mind and we're glad we did. My wife and I feel totally confident taking most any route necessary to experience the Riveted Life.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:09 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Yorba Linda , California
GOWHERETOWED...by the way, If you really want to know what a BEAST is you need to drive a 6.7 liter diesel equipped Ford F-250/350. I'm sure a Cummins equipped Ram is comparable. Having about half the torque rating of these "Monsters" The Ford Eco Doesnt even approach the Beast class.