Old 02-17-2016, 11:39 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Due to the large volume of emails coming into my regular home email account, I am today, officially using an email address just for any Boondocking Adventure Threads and interest. This also alleviates the Private Messages needed on the website as well.

My wife Nancy will be keeping records and maintaining them. I appreciate the work Maggie has done in 2015, but now it is time for me to step up and keep everything under one trailer roof.

This is my direct email address for 2016 and beyond.

boondockingairstream@gmail.com

Old 02-18-2016, 10:51 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Tin',

Most travel trailers, if not all, are not made for rough roads, especially high clearance ones. Airstreams sit lower than many, of not all, and are even more unsuited. A bumpy, not well maintained road, may be ok if you go slowly, but it would be best to unhitch before wandering into the unknown and check out the road. Turning a trailer around or backing out miles is not an experience most people enjoy, though a few years later, may provide a good story.

As someone with a thirst for exploring that side road that goes somewhere, maybe, towing a trailer has been difficult. There's a car commercial (Subaru?) where a man and either his teen daughter or his very young wife contemplate whether to take the road less traveled despite the possible dangers ahead. They choose the dirt road, but they aren't towing a trailer.

And, you can camp somewhere near that road to adventure and then take your tow vehicle, but if you have a full-sized truck, it may be too big for 4wd roads. I have the scratches in the side of our truck from narrow 4wd roads in Idaho to prove it.

Solutions are a small trailer and thus a smaller tow vehicle, a MH with a small toad, or hiking.

Gene

Old 02-18-2016, 01:04 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Gene is correct. People driving a Subaru in a commercial have no common sense. Although I do like the 4x4 wagon for normal daily use. Taking the less traveled road by impulse... is not the way to tow any trailer, as well.

Commercials require NO maps. You just happily drive into the wilderness and feed the Grizzly Bears and Mountain Lions. There usually is a Resort BEHIND the camera crew making the commercial, appearing to be in the National Forests wilderness.

The Donner Party stuck in the High Sierras... is a great example of people not having an idea of what they were doing. Examples are everywhere.

Death Valley was named, well...it is not pleasant in the Summer for foot traffic.

If my Airstream's quality today is inferior to my 2006... then call me what you like. Not knowing what I am doing in choice of dependability. My 2014 is open for close inspection by the curious. I will also point out those small improvements that Airstream never thought to do.

Those who DO travel off the asphalt, might just know exactly what they are doing. I do it every year of my life. Never been stuck. Never been stranded. Never mistook a logging trail as a county road. I see more vehicles with trailers pulled over along the side of the Interstate Highways.

Some trailer owner may have no idea of what they are doing, but should not reflect upon those who do. Off the Grid takes a bit of common sense, good road maps and experience. You do not get it by reading posts on a Forum. You get experience by following those who do.

By ignoring Wally Byam and his Caravan Travels make our travels seem trivial. An Airstream CAN handle Off the Grid and National Forest Campgrounds. It might be the individual who does not have the capacity to understand.

Some of my roughest, most problematic... are gas stations and their RV and 18 wheeler parking lots.

It is the inexperience of those who think they can do what they do not understand. Doctors have a Medical School to learn... Boondockers have each other. Until classes are offered to LEARN Off the Grid traveling... we have to help one another. I am stepping forward and offering what little I have to improve everyone's ability to travel where... no film crew dare to travel.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:21 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And we greenhorns appreciate it, Ray.

Wish I could do this trip with y'all, but my commitments are elsewhere and it will just have to be Wyoming for us for 2016.

I'm expectin' that them that go this year find the best spots and get all the bugs worked out for those of us in 2017.

Maggie
Old 02-18-2016, 03:16 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Ray and Nancy, I look forward to being a part of the "greenhorn club" who appreciate the gift that you both offer to those of us who have not ventured so far off the beaten, paved road. Thank you, in advance.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:49 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Maggie and Evelyn... got me thinking, again.

Airstream Greenhorn Club

Might be a Thread in the making... women are just smarter than men.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:13 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Also, what do you think of a SOLO TRAVELERS CLUB? Evelyn.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:15 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Solo Traveler's Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post
Also, what do you think of a SOLO TRAVELERS CLUB? Evelyn.

Evelyn.... looks like you meet the requirements.

You are Solo with a Great Idea and already have a name of the thread:

Solo Travelers Club

Probably under: Airstream Lifestyle Forum

Get busy. Time is a wasting.... I would have to make it up as I go. You have the experience.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:17 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Ray, I've never organized a club...but, perhaps I'll throw it out there and see where it goes! Nothing ventured...nothing gained. Evelyn.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:20 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
School for Greenhorns: COLORADO location

With the posting of the Thread: Boondocking School for Greenhorns

I am altering the idea of several experienced Off the Grid trailer owners locating sites for Colorado 2017... and focusing upon those wanting some Off the Grid experience this Summer.

If there is enough interest Nancy and I would assist newbies and greenhorns to become comfortable traveling and camped at an Off the Grid camp site. There we can practice navigating and selecting a camp site.

Five days and meeting at Castle Rock, CO. There are three potential gathering places for those interested in Douglas County, Colorado and departing at our cul-de-sac to depart. This is for Greenhorns, but anyone can attend, even assist if you would like to help. Destination will be known... the morning we depart Castle Rock. We will be leaving on a MONDAY 9AM, or earlier if possible.

June or July 2016. Dates will follow once... we know and will give plenty of time so everyone can plan ahead.

Boondocking School for Greenhorns... is the Thread to follow. Nancy and I will have to locate Colorado sites for 2017 ourselves, and toss in some nice camping for those ready to learn Base Camping.