Old 12-24-2014, 11:21 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Very slowly the US is converting to the metric system which is used by most of the rest of the world. It's just hard for us "old timers" used to our system derived from the old English System to change. The change will probably progress faster after we are gone because the metric system, all divisible by ten, is simply a better system, no matter if we like it or not.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:33 AM   #44
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Conversations about Colorado seem to always morph into talk about Texans,
I think it's because a LOT of Texans go to Colorado to visit, and the fact is, Coloradoans don't like it one bit.
Coloradans don't single out Texans, we're just as intolerant of New Mexicans and Zonies (Arizona).

Actually, with our mobile society, I find it unusual when I run into a native of any state! And as far as rudeness, it seem to be a pandemic problem wherever we go. I call it the 10% A-hole factor. That means wherever you go, whatever you are doing, there are 10% of the people acting like a-holes.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
We love it out west and find that those people who are native to the west or have been there long enough to assimilate are more than friendly and willing to help a stranger. That is the reason we will spend the next few years traveling in those areas between AZ/NM and MT/ID.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:57 AM   #46
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
That means wherever you go, whatever you are doing, there are 10% of the people acting like a-holes.
Have to agree with that.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:03 PM   #47
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
I think...

There has been tremendous inflation and 10% is way too low in some areas
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:28 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
At 14,000 feet, I am more likely to be kidnapped by Aliens than seeing anyone from this planet.

When driving or hiking up a 14,000 footer, leave early. You will be dressed well enough in the cooler morning to be prepared in the event you are stranded and need to spend an evening eating rodents and insects. As the sun rises, 45 degrees in bright sun will force you to strip down in no time.

Arrive at high noon or just after, piddle around, take some photographs after you quit wheezing... and slowly "enjoy" the trip back down. Going up all you will see are your feet, the hiking path and might have time to glance around at the scenery. The real experience is on the way... down.

Water. If you sweat at home picking up the newspaper on the driveway... bring a bit extra. The water canteen gets lighter as you go. Getting dizzy, altitude sickness or split lips from dehydration is not pleasant, on the way up or as you fall... down. Carry munchies. Even if they are unhealthy... those munchies are like nitro being added to a race car's fuel! If you wear bright clothes... the search and rescue can locate you faster.

Sun glasses. Thick boot socks. Stiff souled hiking boots. A hat. Multiple layering of clothes. Avoid exposed for a long period of time short pants and tee shirt due to the Sun's ultraviolet micro cooking you slowly. Much to think about and to consider.

We are all emigrants in the back country. None of us belong there as the elevation is a natural fence to keep people under control. Most of the 14teeners in Colorado have established trails that are built into comfortable grades for hikers. Get there early. Leave well before sunset. It will get cold as soon as the sun sets. Pikes Peak is a great example of what to expect. Much colder on top and the wind will begin to blow... but, great for kite flying with a rope.

My favorite states to camp off the grid. Wyoming, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah.

Colorado had a well developed mining industry in the 1859 to 1900 era AND has a lot of back country closed off as private property. Deeded as mining claims at one time or another. Access can be difficult unless you come prepared with a BLM or Forest Service map with land ownership general details. There are laws about crossing private property to access public property... you cannot without permission, unless it is a public road access. Posted No Trespassing is exactly that... ask before opening gate(s). Often, the owner lives 500 miles away, anyways, so asking for permission might be not worth the hunt.

This is why National Forest and BLM maps are the best option for forest camping. Some places within the National Forest is deeded all along the water, rivers and streams. Be aware of that. You see a fallen down log cabin near a nice fishing spot... probably been in the family for 100 years and private property.

Even high elevation, warm weather access areas may, might or could be active mining claims and abandoned. There is more flexibility to your wandering around tailings looking for mineral specimens. Still, be alert to 100 foot deep mine adits hidden within a grove of brush.

Stream water can have natural occurring lead, zinc, uranium or other elements dissolved. Radiation is natural in Colorado coming from the Granites and sedimentary rocks that hold Uranium Ore. Tailings are unstable. That two ton boulder you are sitting below for lunch, may decide that today is the day to roll down the mountain into a camp ground.

Just be aware that the mountains sure look beautiful, but they are just remnants of the mountains that were there millions of years ago. They have worn down to what you see today and could be half washed away already.

Just be aware, no matter where you are from... a stand of pine beetle kill pine you are camped... fifty or eighty feet tall will FALL DOWN some day during a brisk wind.

Now that you have read some of the caveats of Mountain Camping... Nebraska and Kansas start to look, real... good.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:59 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I live in Nebraska. Not a whole lot to see when you compare it to CO, WY, MT, ID and southwest UT. Even SD.
Lived in Colorado for 38 years before moving here. Most of that time in the mountains above 9,000'.
I miss it. But can't afford to live there.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
Old 12-24-2014, 04:39 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Texans were a favorite topic of disdain until 20+ years ago when the Californians came. Californians are unable to learn how to drive in snow, but they are persistent and unfortunately that means their cars will be in the middle of the road for a while. Texans, all of whom own 4WD 1 ton pickups with lifts and giant tires, manage to get through the snow with their giant flags blowing the wind. On a good day, they will push the Californians out of everyone's way.

But since Steve is from Texas and we spent some enjoyable time together a couple of years ago, I know he can take it. I forgot to look for scars on his knuckles, however. Maybe we will get to Lake City next summer and I'll find Steve by looking for his flag.

Sometimes it seems every other person in Colorado is from somewhere else. My wife is a native and so I am naturalized.

About altitude—I once saw a tourist at the top of Mt. Evans pass out. If you feel woozy, breathe into a paper bag, glove or whatever. You are probably suffering carbon dioxide deprivation and rebreathing will restore the CO2/Oxygen balance. I had to do it while climbing a fourteener years ago and I was used to altitude and lived at 7,000'. Only time it happened to me and since I was looking down thousands of feet at a drop off, that may have made it worse. Woman take longer to adjust. Your body has to make more red blood cells to absorb what oxygen there is and women take longer to do that. Take iron before you come and that may help. If you drive to Colorado you will have time to adjust. If you fly into a ski resort, the first day or more may be rough. I have seen people who exercise all the time do badly and sleep for a day. It is a very individual thing. Athletes train here because we have more blood in our system to compensate for altitude—it is like blood packing, but legal. The downside is that vampires are attracted to Colorado because there's more to drink.

Gene
Old 12-24-2014, 05:27 PM   #51
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Gene,

Just so you know and to set the record straight, not all Texas own 4WD 1 ton pickups with lifts and giant tires with giant flags blowing in the wind.

Mine's a 3/4 ton.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:08 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Spoken like a true Texan and truck owner...

Respect!

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 12:50 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
[QUOTE=TG Twinkie;1558101]I live in Nebraska. Not a whole lot to see when you compare it to CO, WY, MT, ID and southwest UT. Even SD.

Wonderful camping in Sioux and Dawes Counties, Nebraska. Fort Robinson is great for hookup camping. With kids... Fort Robinson will keep you busy for a week with things to do.

Toadstool Park north of Crawford, Nebraska. Badlands to climb around and you can camp in the National Grasslands or the Pastures just west of Toadstool and see the Black Hills in the distance.

This part of Nebraska is really a wonderful place to visit. You are not that far away and if you have not been there... you will find a hidden Gem among the highest elevations of Nebraska!
Old 12-27-2014, 02:50 PM   #54
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Nebraska also has the Pioneer Village museum in Minden. A great place to make a stopover.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:29 AM   #55
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Texans were a favorite topic of disdain until 20+ years ago when the Californians came. Californians are unable to learn how to drive in snow, but they are persistent and unfortunately that means their cars will be in the middle of the road for a while. Texans, all of whom own 4WD 1 ton pickups with lifts and giant tires, manage to get through the snow with their giant flags blowing the wind. On a good day, they will push the Californians out of everyone's way.
Hey Gene,

Is this the type of "Texas Truck" you see frequently up there where you live?

Yep, they do exist.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Texas Truck.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	229347  
Old 12-28-2014, 11:59 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I'd love to watch that truck in a windstorm. The flag is so heavy it looks like the front end of the truck is too high.

Wait 'til the flag hits a power line….

Gene