Old 12-23-2014, 09:41 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I think I speak for all who live here, please come, have an existential transformation in the mountains, buy weed and craft beer, spend lots of money and then please go home. It is getting kind of crowded. It used to be you'd be the only one on the trail, then you and maybe someone eventually, but it started to be scores of people driving all over the area especially on weekends. The backcountry wasn't in the back anymore and everyone seemed to have a 4WD perhaps unsuitable for where they were.

Who will be the first to take an Airstream up a jeep trail to 14,000'?

Gene
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Gene, but the increase in population is happening everywhere in this country that we have been to. Yes, even in Texas as lots of retired Californians and others find the economy and real estate market to their liking.

In Colorado you have summer tourists, and here we have winter tourists. It's to the point that our RV club has a hard time finding a park that will let us have a rally in the winter months. We have started going to the parks that are situated near summer activity attractions such as the rivers, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if we wouldn't be able to have rallies in February and March in the near future because of this.

But, to address the problem we need more immigrants?

Old 12-23-2014, 12:16 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Yes... two paved highway Fourteeners. Pikes Peak (14,110) west of Colorado Springs and Mount Evans (14,264) south of Idaho Springs. I doubt if you are permitted to tow a trailer for your own safety.

Unpaved... Mount Antero (14,269) South of Cascade. The turn off asphalt is like driving over a dry creek bed of football size boulders to the base. There are tent camping spots everywhere... most of the "level" spots will be taken, unless you are very lucky. The others you crawl into your sleeping bag at night and will find your self half out of the tent's entry by morning... that steep. A rented jeep is best, as the road to the top where you can park and hike to a couple 14er's. They dig Aquamarines on the East side of this mountain area. If you want to hunt for aquamarines... come to the east side of the mountain and look around at the bottom. This can be a bit scary for those who... cannot flap your arms and fly.

Why on Mount Antero do I recommend a Jeep 4x4 than a pickup truck with crew cab? The switch backs on this road blasted into the side of the west face drop thirty to forty feet. There are "pull outs" for two vehicles to pass if they encounter each other. One going up and the other going down. Tradition is that the vehicle going DOWN has the right of way and the UP vehicle pulls onto the pull out. A Jeep has the most mobility. Traction is not the problem... space to pass one another could be a problem.

Tens... if not a hundred vehicles do this each Summer. It is well traveled, IF this is the actual road used by those "miners on the Weather Channel". It is safe if you encounter no traffic. Sometimes when a vehicle is approaching from the opposite direction you are traveling... stop, park, apply your brakes and "discuss" the options available to pass.

Google first. Figure a day to explore Mount Antero. The boulder road getting to the base camp... might be enough for most. I did it... ONCE to the top. It beats an action movie at the theatre. You will not forget this one. It is worth every moment of experience... but at the time, you will ask yourself... what am I doing here?

There are 56 Fourteeners. Hundreds of passes and peaks between 9,000 to 13,999 feet. Some are easily accessed with 4x4 truck and trailer. Many require a base camp for the trailer and you can explore until exhausted.

One WARNING for the EASY mountain roads just west of the major Colorado Front Range metro. On weekends... it can be crowded. Some people have no judgment as to width and where their tires are on the gravel road. West of Colorado Springs... Gold Camp Road... Old Stage Road should be traveled during the WEEKDAY. Otherwise... you may have to stop, park, apply brakes and negotiate what between drivers the next step to pass on some narrow spots.

If you are on Asphalt... you and your trailer have it made. Gravel county roads... find a campsite, scout the road for access and find your camping spot. The road will always be bumpier and narrower once you have your trailer in tow. For newbies... expect that to happen. Looking up for tree branches is the job of the passengers... and dust from oncoming traffic further up the mountain. After a couple days... you will be posting what a wonderful time you had and give a few well learned tips to the rest of us!

Old 12-23-2014, 12:26 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Colorado Atlas & Gazetteer- DeLorme (retails for $20.00). First source of information.

National Forest Maps- BEST once you find yourself wanting to go to a particular area. Purchased online or at the local Fly Fishing supply shop or at a National Forest Service office. Smaller scale where the details are more accurate to your various turns and directions.

Quadrangles... too small a scale, unless you are looking for a mine or a spot about the dimensions of your 1/4 acre lot in the wilderness.

Remember. Each of us have different experiences in off road travel. It is learned, not taught from a book or a class room. Much like flying... Using common sense, courtesy for the other driver(s) and the assistance of passengers, who are already screaming on each switch back, will be safe and worth the trouble.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:34 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
For SteveH... the best time to come is OFF SEASON from June to August. During the winter months... the roads are bumper to bumper with skiers heading into the back country. For the adventurous... April to June, August to October... sure empties out the mountains. It can be nice, indifferent or wintery within a week. I have been in a snow storm on the top of Pike's Peak... 4th of July. By the time I reached the highway... my truck was dry and no one would believe that there was 5 inches on the truck and snow plows clearing the road before we could leave.

Everyone is welcome to come to Colorado and move here if they like. There are just as many that came in the Summer and after a year or two in the mountains... decide the climate can be a bit tough in flip flops and short pants year round. I know, we have a family from Hawaii that come back and forth and do not seem to own a pair of boots... flip flops. You cannot make this stuff up.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:40 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
This is it. I promise. Sorta.

TrailDamage.com

Look up Mount Antero, Chaffee County, Colorado. I just found this site and if you want to check passes and other mountain roads, this could be the best source of information. Be prepared and everything will work out.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Lake City is a terrible place! I sure wouldn't go there if I were you.
For years a group of "Texans" have invaded Lake City, sort of like Russia invading Ukraine. The peace loving and stoned mountain people have no desire for confrontation with these "Texans". You can spot them with their enormous "Texas" flags, piles of beer cans, knuckle dragging and unbelievable boasting. Lake City was once a wonderful place with fine upstanding citizens like Alferd Packer, but now we have been invaded. NATO, come help us.

Thanks Ray for the info on Antero. That is one of the Collegiate Range peaks, but I couldn't remember which peak had the jeep trail. But you got the right of way rule backwards. The vehicle going up has the right of way because very steep grades can be hard to start on. When the rule was set years ago, 4WD was virtually nonexistent, tires were not as good and engines had a lot less power. Before computers ran the engine and we had fuel injection, carburetors had to be adjusted and jets replaced for high altitude, so vehicles consumed much more gas and had much less power here.

Gene
Old 12-23-2014, 02:42 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Gene... I should have be a bit more clear on mountain Right of Way.

I learned in western Montana about the right of way on a narrow road in the National Forest. The logging trucks coming down with a full load of timber gave you two options:

1-Yield
2- Write a Will promptly

Coloradoans are much more civilized in this manner.

Wyoming... I was coming down a steep grade in the National Forest, 23 foot Airstream attached, leaving a campsite with a direct view of the Grand Tetons. I believe it is posted on the Wyoming Boondocking thread. A "tour bus" was coming UP, about half the length of a Greyhound size, but tall with what appeared were... shocked tourists. As gracious as we must be for visitors to the west, I backed up into a pullout cut into the woods for just that... right of way. Since I had to BACK INTO IT... Wyoming has it figured out that the bus would have needed to pull off the road. Most living in Wyoming & Montana are Conservatives on the Right. Colorado... leans Left politically on the Front Range and write the laws the rest of us have to respect. Right of Way and Left of Way, as I see it.

Mount Antero has pullouts LEFT and RIGHT on most switchbacks. Probably before the law was written.

Just a rule of thumb for those living below 3,000 feet elevation and heading to the High Country. Take it easy in the Rocky Mountains the first day. Drink plenty of water. Turn the kids out at a camp site... first. If they get Altitude Sickness... you sit back and take it easy on the second day, as well. Everyone figures out with random testing and kids, being most durable, they will provide more information than any post on this Thread.

Better yet. Poke around at 6,000 to 7,000 feet for a day or two. Then... attack Leadville, Colorado at 10,152 feet elevation. No problems... Welcome to Colorado.

Altitude Sickness. How will you know if I am suffering from Altitude Sickness or a Massive Heart Attack? You will survive altitude sickness, 99.9% of the time and you will not have to ASK... you will know. Smokers might need a bit more time to adjust.

Gene is correct. Thousands of new homes are being built in Colorado annually, especially on the Front Range. The water rights issues are becoming the new conversation, while being decided by the recreational pot smokers that do not want to leave the State.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:28 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
For years a group of "Texans" have invaded Lake City, sort of like Russia invading Ukraine. The peace loving and stoned mountain people have no desire for confrontation with these "Texans". You can spot them with their enormous "Texas" flags, piles of beer cans, knuckle dragging and unbelievable boasting. Lake City was once a wonderful place with fine upstanding citizens like Alferd Packer, but now we have been invaded. NATO, come help us.

Thanks Ray for the info on Antero. That is one of the Collegiate Range peaks, but I couldn't remember which peak had the jeep trail. But you got the right of way rule backwards. The vehicle going up has the right of way because very steep grades can be hard to start on. When the rule was set years ago, 4WD was virtually nonexistent, tires were not as good and engines had a lot less power. Before computers ran the engine and we had fuel injection, carburetors had to be adjusted and jets replaced for high altitude, so vehicles consumed much more gas and had much less power here.

Gene
Gene,

I'll have you know I DO NOT have callouses on my knuckles (too much arthritis for that), and I do not do much boasting (for a Texan), but the flag and the beer cans, well that's part of camping where I come from.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:23 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
A very good friend of mine used to claim he was an American by birth, and a Texan by the grace of God.

Other than that, Roger never bragged. He was darn good at anything he put his mind and hands to...

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:28 AM   #38
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Enjoying a 12,000 foot pass beginning of the month, The winter is amazing time to explore Colorado Mountain passes. CDOT does amazing job clearing the mountain roads... Of course one should always be prepared traveling this time of year, this trip was on a Monday and I saw not one other vehicle for more than this 4 hour drive, and no cell service for most of it. Of course its nice to have heated seats, V10 turbo Diesel air suspension 22" wheels to play around sharp corners steep grades and pass slow moving vehicles at will....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0741.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	229135  
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:06 AM   #39
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
all this talk about texas

and it is being undated with foreigners faster than colorado……

but me….i gave it up after 68 years…like they say texas is like a whole nother country…..

I wasn't born on Orcas Island….but i got here as soon as i could….

like having a very large MOAT around…….

our highest elevation is Mt Constitution…2500 feet……WOW…..

no air-condition systems allowed…….

temp higher than 78 is not allowed

thought about buying a house in colorado……but that was before we found Orcas……...
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:26 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Conversations about Colorado seem to always morph into talk about Texans, like conversations about tow vehicles always morph into Diesel vs. gas.

I think it's because a LOT of Texans go to Colorado to visit, and the fact is, Coloradoans don't like it one bit. Just like Texans don't really like what we call Snow Birds coming here in the Winter. However, both places really like the tourist's money, but if it was possible, they'd rather not have to even see us when we spend the money. I have been treated rudely several times by Coloradoans by doing simple things they don't like, like moving to a available fuel pump in front of them causing them to have to back up to get out of the station. What a horrible inconvenience. However, a Texan can always count on being treated courteously in a business establishment. Get the picture?

We've been going to Colorado mostly in the summer off and on since the early 70's. Flatlanders as y'all call us, (don't know, maybe there are other more derogatory names for us), really like to be in the cool mountains when it's above 100 degrees every day down here. Colorado is an unusually beautiful state, especially to a "Flatlander".

Did y'all know that parts of Colorado and New Mexico was once Texas?
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2014, 09:51 AM   #41
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
COLORADO 14,000 feet PLUS drives... sans trailer

Therefore, every summer is the Reconquista.

We're just a'goin' home.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:25 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
COLORADO 14,000 feet PLUS drives... sans trailer

""For those modern nations, 3,687 meters.""

Imo,,,, for most all practical purposes I prefer the "old fashioned" traditional measurement. I think it is more user friendly for the practical daily user.

I.e. "Billy jack is 6'1" tall vs. "Billy Jack is 1.85 meters tall", or almost as bad, "Billy Jack is 185 cm tall".

I know some of this is "what I am used to", but some of it is because the old unit system is based on more practically sized units. Meters are too dam big, and cm are too small.

Perhaps dm are better sized, but this unit of measurement is never used. (But I don't know, "Billy Jack is 18.5 dm tall"... Still does not work for me.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote