Old 09-29-2007, 05:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Recently we tried unsuccessfully to find the Boondocking location listed under Sonora. The roads weren't labeled as my previous post indicated so I have revised the listing. Here is the correct directions to the Sonora Boondocking location:

SONORA - I-10, 30 mi E of Sonora, take Exit 429 “Harrel Rd exit” to County Rd-3130, go E on 3130 about a quarter mile then turn left (north) onto River Rd, then go 2.1 mi. to County park. The park is a pecan grove on Llano River. No RV size limit.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Major addition to Texas list. This time, it is Cheap or Free camping in the town of Anahuac located about 40 miles east of Houston. We checked out several locations and all parks were nicely manicured with freshly cut grass and trees trimmed. Several parks had free camping, however the ones with hookups charged $10 per night. These are amoung the nicest "free" spaces we've encountered. Most were quiet to extremely quiet! Please add these to your lists:

Anahuac (pronounced “Anna-hack”)(about 40 miles east of Houston): Fort Anahuac County Park is a very nicely manicured park with room for many rigs of any size. Take I-10 exit 810 to SR-563 go S 6 mi. to intersection of Hwy 65, turn right onto Hwy 65 / Miller St., go about mile and turn left onto Main Street. Park is located in the 1500 block of Main, however, you will need to stop at the county courthouse located in the 400 block of Main St. to get free parking permit. See Mrs. Edmonds in the basement of the courthouse for permit. When we were there, no one ever checked to see if we had a camping permit. The park is about mile long and mile wide. There are no “designated” campsites and no hookups. There are water spigots dispersed about the park. Most RV’s park along the bluff at the west edge of the park where good shade trees are available. Flush toilets, picnic tables, fishing, nature trails. Can stay 3 nights for free. Very nice park. At the north edge of the park is a commercial campground if you need hookups.

Anahuac (about 40 miles east of Houston): White Memorial County Park. From I-10 (around mm 814) take exit SR-61 S 0.1 mi. and turn right, park will be on left. 7 sites w/ elec $10 per night. 14-day limit. Flush toilets, picnic shelters, fishing, nature trails. Payment for camping is made in Anahuac at Mrs. Edmonds office in the basement at the county courthouse. To find the courthouse, take SR-61 south 4 miles to intersection of Hwy. 65. turn right onto Hwy 65 and proceed into Anahuac. Stay on Hwy. 65 which becomes Miller St. until you come to Main Street and turn left. Go S on Main St. about 4 blocks and courthouse is on right.

Anahuac: Double Bayou County Park. From I-10, take SR-61 S 4 mi, continue straight on FM-562 S 7 mi, at Eagle Ferry Rd turn W 0.5 mi. to park on left. 10-day limit. Camping is free. Park where you like, there are no designated campsites. Flush toilets, ball field, fishing.

Anahuac: James H. Robbins Memorial County Park. From I-10, take SR-61 S 4 mi, FM-562 S 22 mi, Smith Point Rd S 1 mi, Hawkins Camp Rd NW 1.6 mi. On Galveston & East Bays. 14-day limit. Flush toilets, boat ramp, scenic views. No water. Free.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:13 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Hi All, We've just completed a trip through Texas so I have updates:

Additional information:
BROWNFIELD: Free CG w/ water & elec. in Coleman park. Brownfield is 40 mi. southwest of Lubbock on US 62/82. It is FREE but there is a voluntary contribution box if you are so inclined. The RV park is located on the east side of Hwy 385 near the south edge of town. There are about 10 spaces, some with shade trees. It is mostly a gravel parking lot, but it is a welcome sight after a day of traveling. Nice people, too!

Add:
DALHART / HARTLEY: There is a nice spaceous Rest Area along Hwy 385 about 13 miles south of Dalhart or 1 mile north of Hartley. It is located on the east side of Hwy 385 and there is parking far enough back from the highway to be reasonably quiet for overnighting.

Add
KERRVILLE: I-10 Rest Area about 5 miles east of Kerrville. This is one of the few Rest Areas where we might overnight. The RV loop is surprisingly un-used and quiet especially at night. Water is available. It is fairly easy to find a level spot and TV reception is tolerable. Also, there is a nice clean dump station located at the east side of the Rest Area.

Add:
LAMESA: Free RV Park with about 10 spaces w/ water & dump station. We haven't stayed here but passing by it looked well maintained. Some shade trees. Located on the east side of Hwy 137 at the south edge of town.

Add:
LEVELLAND: Free RV Park with water and electric w/ a dump station. We haven't stayed here but passing by it looked well manicured and clean. Some shade trees for the rig. Located on the east side of Hwy 385 at the south edge of town.

Additional information:
LITTLEFIELD: Waylon Jennings RV Park offers water and 30 amp electric w/ a dump station. Littlefield is 30 miles northwest of Lubbock on US-84/Hwy 385. The park is named for singer Waylon Jennings, born in Littlefield. No charge, but there is a box for voluntary contributions. The nice looking park is located on the east side of Hwy 385 at the south edge of town.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #18

1999 19' Bambi
melissa , Texas
So close to TX, but another world.

We live just north of Dallas and we have made the Beavers Bend State Park area Beavers Bend Resort Park in southeast our second home. The first time we went we were amazed at the difference in the surroundings compared to just a few miles to the south. There are plenty of spots in the park, but also many cabins to park at as well. We had luck with http://www.beaversbendlogcabins.com but I know there are many more in the area. It is truely one of the best areas to go RVing.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
After many hours of transcribing I've come up with a Google Map for Cheap or Free Campgrounds in Texas. The link provided below is for a map with ONLY the locations shown. If you want access to the map with complete information then you can get that access thru 2 methods. I am willing to swap my completed map of Texas for completed maps of other states. For example, if you have a Florida map, I'd be glad to swap my Texas for your Florida.

If you don't have something to swap, then I'm willing to sell access to my map for $5 payable via Paypal. You send me the $5 and I send you the correct access link for a map with all the necessary info filled in. PM me for more info.

Here is the hookup to my map with locations only (see above for completed info on maps): Texas Cheap or Free CG's - Google Maps

If you want to see how the completed map info looks click on the point just east of San Antonio, Calaveras Lake.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:17 PM   #20
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Thats neat Bob! How is it I spend so much time at Padre and we still haven't met? Anyway, this is another leap forward to your great cheap or free series.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:22 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Bob, Your efforts look great - one question, do you plan to incorporate GPS coordinates into your COMPLETED version?

The Google maps are great in that you can select the Sat view to look at the places, as well as the 'street view' that Google has been adding all over the country...

My son happened to be outside his home in Sacramento one day when a Goggle Street View auto drove by - it had a GPS antenna mounted on top of a special 360 degree camera on the roof...some have called this new technology kind of creepy, in that anyone can look at your front yard!...I now have found that our County Govt. is using Street View linked to their property tax records as well...Big Brother is all around us, and overhead too!
Old 12-12-2009, 12:41 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
For the time being, there's no plan to incorporate GPS coordinates. Too time consuming to translate all that info. There may be an automatic way to do it using extended features of Google Maps, but I haven't checked it out. I used Google Street View and Satelite Photo views to locate each point. If you go into a particular point and switch to Satelite View you can see the layout of the campground and have an idea what being there would be like. Plus, I confirmed most points with up to date info from web searches for the particular spot. Where prices for camping are involved, I researched to see if they were current and updated them as needed.

I think maps for each state following this template would be an incredible asset. I'm just not prepared to spend hours and hours and hours doing it all myself then give it all away like I did with the lists.