Old 10-23-2009, 07:50 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
1975 29' Ambassador
denman is , b.c.
Wow!! I almost want to change my mind now and go to Florida. Maybe next year.
As is, hoping to get as far as Padre Is. Traveling down from B.C. Can. so its a long, long road. It will be a first trip down that way. I just can't resist the call of warm water and sand. Would be great if the kind of info you have would be available for the Padre area.
Happy trails!!

kooshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:50 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Corpus Christi , Texas
Correction: On my Naples to Miami listing there is an error that I just discovered. Bear Lake Campground is not Bear Lake at all! It is "BURNS LAKE CAMPGROUND". It's still a great place to camp and it's free! Corrected listing should read:
Half way from Miami to Naples on US 41 is Big Cypress National Preserve w/ free & some low cost campgrounds. Midway Campround is on the south side of the road, space for 30 rigs, $20 per night, Monument Lake Campground is $16 per day. Burns Lake Campground is about 1 mi N of the Tamiami Trail on a dirt road, but the camping is free & quite pleasant around a 20 acre lake. We stayed at Burns Lake in 2005 & it is a great place! There are no hookups, but there is a dumpster & portapottys. 1st come first served, 10 day limit.

So Long!
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Corpus Christi , Texas
Add this to the list:
Daytona - Rima Ridge CG in TigerBayStateForest. From Daytona take Hwy 92 W about 7 mi to Forest Service Office: 4316 W. International Speedway Blvd (Hwy 92). Obtain camping permit, then go back E on Hwy 92 to Indian Lake Rd and turn N. Go 2 mi. Turn R on Rima Ridge Rd. Go 2 mi. CG on R at Bennett Field RD. 5 spaces for $10/nt. Spaces #1 thru #3 easily fit trailers. 4 & 5 may be smallish. There is also an equestrian CG about 3 mi N of this one. No amenities. Ph. 386 226-0250
So Long!
Old 01-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #18
1960 22' Safari
Hancock , Maryland
Thanks for all the work and sharing this list. I visited Jasper because of your note and it is very nice, simple and quiet. A true find if you enjoy off the beaten trail. It is a gem of a place to study the water, tress and sky.
Airstream631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Corpus Christi , Texas
UPDATE: Daytona - Rima Ridge CG in TigerBayStateForest has turned out to be a very good find. Camping spaces are very very large, lots of space between neighboring sites, maybe 150' between spaces, nice canopy of trees, very quiet and very under used. The roads in start out paved, but once you bet back about 2 miles, they turn to gravel. Some washboarding, but not bad. Good place
So Long!
Old 01-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #20
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia

Thanks for this list and all your hard work. I am going to use it when I go to Florida in March.

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Update, Hopkins Prarrie

OCALA: OcalaNF about 50 miles NW of Orlando. A favorite free campground is Hopkins Prairie, a few miles down a bumpy road from Rt. 19 on west side of Lake George. Road is well marked. No hookups, pit toilets & water of questionable quality at center of the camp area. Groceries are available in Salt Springs, 8 miles north of the campground.
Since some of the info Bob has posted has a few years on it here is an update.

Hopkins now charges $10.00, 1/2 with golden age. As of march 2011 the water pump was not working.. If you have a class A motorhome caution is advised as there are low hanging limbs on both loops so good to walk first. I actually measured clearances at 10 ft or less. Campground is heavily used by locals on weekends.
At one time this campground was pretty informal but at some time in the last ten years has been marked of into numbered sites and now has a host.

Further north, just south of Salt Springs is Shanty pond $8.00/4.00 with lots of large wooded sites. Occupancy was light even on weekends, possibly due to a temporary ban on tents/ tent campers due to bears.
Water pump there does work.

Rick Davis 1602 K8DOC
61 tradewind, plus a few others
13 Ram 2500 TD
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote