Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2008, 08:26 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International CCD
Cheyenne , Wyoming
Bishop - Lee Vining additional sites

Bob, great list. As an ex dirt bag rock climber I can add a few more.
I recommend bringing 4 2" foot square boards for the leveling feet.
West of Bishop heading out west Line street (168) 8 miles to Buttermilk road, exit and drive to where you want to park, BLM land and excellent views.

North of Bishop take the turn for Gorge road and head left at the T. Drive the paved road for a few miles then after the sharp bend in the road take the next left. heading up you will find numerous areas to pull off and they most are pull through or looped for turn around.
Fly Fishermen take notice: this puts you in next to the Owens river Gorge. Awesome year round fly fishing.

south of Lee Vining off of the north loop of June Lake loop (158) take the Parker Lake road around to the woods located at Map link. there are plenty of shady spots and you can fish Parker creek when in season.

I just love the west because there are so many BLM and Nat'l Forest opportunities
Blog
WyoRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:32 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

austin , Texas
Hello, Bob and thanks for all the good information! I am about to make a move just up the coast from you, look me up if you are in the area! Thanks Again. Red Rover^^^
Red Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:22 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Oakland , California
Send a message via AIM to bluegabs
holy cow, this list is great! thanks!

does anyone know of a place to dump..free or otherwise around the SF Bay area.. we live in oakland & there arent many services in the area that im able to find.. concord seems to be the closest, i spoze.
bluegabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:09 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Places in Bay Area...

I am assuming you are looking for something on the East bay side? I used to live/work in the Bay area, but haven't for years... will do a little "homework" and see what I can come up with. Generally, the Bay Area isn't really RV "friendly".... But in the meantime, many times places that sell RV "stuff" like Camping World in Fairfield have free or low cost overnight camping if you purchase something in their store... they also sometimes have free dump stations. You might call around to RV stores in your area and simply ask.

Good luck.

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
My blog: Yreka History
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:28 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Freebies on the Calif Coast are almost non-exsidence...but I found one...

About 13 miles south of Half Moon Bay, just south of the Pigeon Point Lighthouse is an area on the bluffs overlooking the ocean...it's marked as a 'County' parking area, it's dirt, and not really useable during rainy weather...but at other times it's FREE.

Look for the turnoff about a 1/4 mile south of the LIghthouse entry road.

We've used it several times, the sheriff comes by to check on things and didn't hasstle us.

GREAT sunset views with the lighthouse in the backfround here!
Old 11-04-2011, 11:10 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Our recent trip to Sonoma/Napa provided yet another addition to the Cheap or Free Calif. listing. It isn't free or even particularly cheap but it is a great find. Add this one to your lists:

Santa Rosa: SonomoCounty Fairgrounds RV Park at 1500 Aston Ave, Santa Rosa. Call CG Host at 707-293-8410. or email: info@sonomacountyfair.com $25 - $30/nt w/ water+elec. & sewer. Has about 120 spaces. It is a nicely manicured gravel parking lot. There are enough trees to provide most sites shade in morning and afternoon. Surprisingly, TV reception is mediocre, but the RV Park is otherwise superb. It’s a real gem considering it is in the middle of wine country, very convenient to Healdsburg and Sonoma. Fairly quiet. I highly recommend it.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:59 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hadlock , Washington
Here's one I found this summer- might be a good addition to the list:
The Jackson State Demonstration Forest has a number of free campgrounds, though they're only open late spring through early fall.
They're located on Highway 20 about midway between U.S. 1 at Fort Bragg and U.S. 101 at Willits.
Free permits are issued by the onsite Camp Host at Dunlop Camp or at the District Headquarters in Fort Bragg.
More info including maps at Recreation
Francesca K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:04 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
1 , Washington
Thanks for throwing these out there Bob. I will test a few of these out this summer!
Clar7135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:52 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
There is also a free dump station in Yreka at the Valero Gas Station at 1258 South Main Street (aka old Hwy 99) just off of Interstate 5. If traveling north, take the first exit and turn north on Main Street, just a short distance from the first stop light after the turn.
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote