Old 10-24-2006, 12:38 AM   #15
Rivet Master
2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Free and $5 in Atascadero

$5 dump station in Atascadero at the Chevron on the east side of Hwy 101, at Santa Rosa Rd.

WEEKDAYS only: If you don't mind driving a couple of miles, the City will let RV's dump for free as a service to "residents". From Hwy 101 go east about 1 mile on Curbaril Ave., just past the RR tracks turn right on Garbada Rd., go to end, through gate. Watch for the RV dump sign.

Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Cheapie in California

Here is another item for the places to stay:

I-5 near Santa Nella... heading to 152 East or West. From Santa Nella head to the Forebay at Lake San Luis. Take Hwy 33 from Santa Nella heading south. Small 2 lane road. Before you come to Hwy 152 you will see 2 trees on the West side... and a small sign that says Medeiros Campsite (or something similar). There is camping for $10 a night, self registration. $8 for Seniors. Water available from a tank. Porta Potties... not serviced really often. Tables and shelters. Can be really windy, and can be hot in summer. But right now not too bad... Good for a quiet off the road place in the middle of nowhere! A couple of other campsites in the immediate area but a little more difficult to get to. We stayed going and coming to the San Antonio Rally and it worked really well for us. Got off I-5 and didn't have to listen to reefer trucks!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)

CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:40 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
CA State Parks

You can use the dump station at any California state park that has one for $5.00. Free if you camp there.

The dump station for Pismo State Beach (North Beach and Oceano campgrounds) is free and is located between the two campgrounds on LeSage St., which is the first street North of Grand Ave. along Hwy 1 (on the beach side)
TinShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:58 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Cheap or Free Dumps

Add the City of Corona, CA Wastewater Treatment Plant to your list, Railroad Street east of Auto Center/Serfas Club Drive.
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:39 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Corpus Christi , Texas
Heads up! I have a significant addition to the list and it is for the Los Angeles/Pasadena/Glendale area.

Los Angeles/Pasadena/Glendale There is very good low cost camping in the Angles National Forest just East of Pasadena. From La Canada/Flintridge, take the Angeles Crest Highway (Highway 2) into the National Forest. Go about 8 miles and the Road to Palmdale goes to the left. If you take the road to Palmdale, go about 8 miles and Monte Cristo Campground will be located on the right. There are no hookups but there are paved spaces for about 20 rigs. It is best suited for trailers smaller than 26'. Cost is about $8 per night ($4 with Golden Age Pass). It is busy on weekends but almost empty during the week.

Going back to Highway 2 where the Palmdale cutoff occurs, continue on Highway 2 about 13 miles to Chilao Campground. This campgound has water available, pit toilets, and about 85 paved spaces. It is at or near the top of a mountain at 5500 ft. and it is fantastic. Beautiful during the day and cool and quiet at night. It even has decent TV reception. Cost is $12/nite or $6 with Golden Age Pass) It is a little busy on weekends but almost completely empty during the week.

For a Free Dump Station, The National Forest Service has provided one at Charleton Flat. From Chilao, drive back down Highway 2 about 3 miles to Charleton Flat and the Dump station is on the South side of the road. There is no rinse water at the Dump Station.

The Angeles Crest Highway is fairly twisty and turny, but it is in very good condition and is easily traversed pulling a trailer.
So Long!
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:55 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
2006 22' International CCD
Bakersfield , California
HI Bob- I am a new Airstreamer, living in Central California- THANKS for the list!! I am going to try to put a dent in it!!
airstreamJOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:26 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
2008 16' International CCD
Cheyenne , Wyoming
Bishop - Lee Vining additional sites

Bob, great list. As an ex dirt bag rock climber I can add a few more.
I recommend bringing 4 2" foot square boards for the leveling feet.
West of Bishop heading out west Line street (168) 8 miles to Buttermilk road, exit and drive to where you want to park, BLM land and excellent views.

North of Bishop take the turn for Gorge road and head left at the T. Drive the paved road for a few miles then after the sharp bend in the road take the next left. heading up you will find numerous areas to pull off and they most are pull through or looped for turn around.
Fly Fishermen take notice: this puts you in next to the Owens river Gorge. Awesome year round fly fishing.

south of Lee Vining off of the north loop of June Lake loop (158) take the Parker Lake road around to the woods located at Map link. there are plenty of shady spots and you can fish Parker creek when in season.

I just love the west because there are so many BLM and Nat'l Forest opportunities
WyoRacer X
'08 16' Bambi International
living west of Cheyenne.
WyoRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:32 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member
austin , Texas
Hello, Bob and thanks for all the good information! I am about to make a move just up the coast from you, look me up if you are in the area! Thanks Again. Red Rover^^^
Red Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:22 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member
2005 22' Safari
Oakland , California
Send a message via AIM to bluegabs
holy cow, this list is great! thanks!

does anyone know of a place to or otherwise around the SF Bay area.. we live in oakland & there arent many services in the area that im able to find.. concord seems to be the closest, i spoze.
bluegabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:09 PM   #24
Rivet Master
1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Places in Bay Area...

I am assuming you are looking for something on the East bay side? I used to live/work in the Bay area, but haven't for years... will do a little "homework" and see what I can come up with. Generally, the Bay Area isn't really RV "friendly".... But in the meantime, many times places that sell RV "stuff" like Camping World in Fairfield have free or low cost overnight camping if you purchase something in their store... they also sometimes have free dump stations. You might call around to RV stores in your area and simply ask.

Good luck.

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
My blog: Yreka History
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:28 PM   #25
Rivet Master
1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Freebies on the Calif Coast are almost non-exsidence...but I found one...

About 13 miles south of Half Moon Bay, just south of the Pigeon Point Lighthouse is an area on the bluffs overlooking the's marked as a 'County' parking area, it's dirt, and not really useable during rainy weather...but at other times it's FREE.

Look for the turnoff about a 1/4 mile south of the LIghthouse entry road.

We've used it several times, the sheriff comes by to check on things and didn't hasstle us.

GREAT sunset views with the lighthouse in the backfround here!
Ray & Pat; Morada, CA
Mexray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:10 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Corpus Christi , Texas
Our recent trip to Sonoma/Napa provided yet another addition to the Cheap or Free Calif. listing. It isn't free or even particularly cheap but it is a great find. Add this one to your lists:

Santa Rosa: SonomoCounty Fairgrounds RV Park at 1500 Aston Ave, Santa Rosa. Call CG Host at 707-293-8410. or email: $25 - $30/nt w/ water+elec. & sewer. Has about 120 spaces. It is a nicely manicured gravel parking lot. There are enough trees to provide most sites shade in morning and afternoon. Surprisingly, TV reception is mediocre, but the RV Park is otherwise superb. It’s a real gem considering it is in the middle of wine country, very convenient to Healdsburg and Sonoma. Fairly quiet. I highly recommend it.
So Long!
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:59 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Hadlock , Washington
Here's one I found this summer- might be a good addition to the list:
The Jackson State Demonstration Forest has a number of free campgrounds, though they're only open late spring through early fall.
They're located on Highway 20 about midway between U.S. 1 at Fort Bragg and U.S. 101 at Willits.
Free permits are issued by the onsite Camp Host at Dunlop Camp or at the District Headquarters in Fort Bragg.
More info including maps at Recreation
Francesca K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:04 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member
2005 19' Safari
1 , Washington
Thanks for throwing these out there Bob. I will test a few of these out this summer!

Clar7135 is offline   Reply With Quote