Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-01-2019, 10:49 PM   #1
New Member
 
Phoenix , Arizona
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 4
Cell phone booster recommendations?

Does anyone have recommendation on a cell phone booster?

We have a 2018 Basecamp and spend most of our time in remote locations but still require cell access. We have solar power but don't want to install an inverter merely to power a cell booster; booster must run off 9v DC supply.

We've been looking at the weBoost Drive 4G-X RV.... anyone tried it?

Thanks in advance!
__________________

skyjayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
Lily&Me's Avatar

 
2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 15,020
I have a WeBoost Drive 4G-S, just for my IPhone, and find it works just as advertised...boosts existing signal.

Maggie
__________________

__________________
🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
centennialman's Avatar

 
2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,456
I like my WeBoost unit. I was able to find a tower 27 miles away and boost the signal from it when I was way up in the mountains last summer. Had internet and phone service the entire time.
__________________
Steve "Centennial Man"
centennialman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master
 
mayco's Avatar

 
1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
I like my WeBoost unit. I was able to find a tower 27 miles away and boost the signal from it when I was way up in the mountains last summer. Had internet and phone service the entire time.
Steve, have you by chance used the booster when trying to stream movies using cell data? I'm in the market for one IF I can find one that improves cell for data streaming. Thanks for any input...."way up in the mountains", State Forrest State Park?

Mike
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:02 PM   #5
AirDreamer
 
turk123's Avatar

 
2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 957
Hi Skyjayhawk

If your carrier is Sprint, it uses band 41. No booster handles band 41. Sprint also uses band 26 and I believe 25 and both are not supported.

That said if you have the other big three you will get improvement on fringe signals. That works well. I have a WeBoost and it performs well on those.

If you have moderate signal, the WeBoost will not perform as well as a mimo antenna (two leads) to a hotspot. I have an ATT hotspot with a $30 antenna that sticks to the window and it will run rings around the weBoost is moderate signal areas. Having two devices near the internal antenna of the WeBoost also will reduce the amount of amplification each gets and slow the thruput.

I would look for a good plan on a hotspot and add one of these to the hotspot. It will probably outperform the WeBoost. And with that said if you still want to go WeBoost, I will sell you mine at a discount! I no longer need it ; )

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
__________________
2017 Airstream International Signature 27FB Twin
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin

***Support Airstream Forum***
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:28 AM   #6
New Member
 
Phoenix , Arizona
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 4
Thanks, Centenialman,
What model WeBoost are you using? We spend a lot of time in remote locations and it sounds like you have found a good solution.
skyjayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:34 AM   #7
New Member
 
Phoenix , Arizona
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Hi Skyjayhawk



If your carrier is Sprint, it uses band 41. No booster handles band 41. Sprint also uses band 26 and I believe 25 and both are not supported.



That said if you have the other big three you will get improvement on fringe signals. That works well. I have a WeBoost and it performs well on those.



If you have moderate signal, the WeBoost will not perform as well as a mimo antenna (two leads) to a hotspot. I have an ATT hotspot with a $30 antenna that sticks to the window and it will run rings around the weBoost is moderate signal areas. Having two devices near the internal antenna of the WeBoost also will reduce the amount of amplification each gets and slow the thruput.



I would look for a good plan on a hotspot and add one of these to the hotspot. It will probably outperform the WeBoost. And with that said if you still want to go WeBoost, I will sell you mine at a discount! I no longer need it ; )



https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thank you Turk, I'll check into the hotspot and antenna solution. Since we spend most of our time in very remote locations, is WeBoost better when very weak signal? What model do you have?
skyjayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:57 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

 
2019 16' Sport
Alexandria , Virginia
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 6
Air Stream and AT&T just partnered for hot spot upgrade.It does cost a few pennies.
Airstream dealers install and wire connect a rooftop booster AT&T antenna designed/engineered for all Airstreams $945, and then for $360 per yr AT&T will service unlimited data.
Ron1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master
 
Silver Goose's Avatar
 
2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 969
When shopping for a cell booster, I would look for one that is LTE capable. Canada ditched GSM & CDMA entirely 2 years ago. It is possible that US telcos may begin to phase those technologies out here well as they begin to roll out 5G. Presumably LTE will remain viable for the foreseeable future.
__________________
AIR 47751
Air Safe Hitch, Reese Dual Cam 800#, Centramatics
Silver Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:32 PM   #10
AirDreamer
 
turk123's Avatar

 
2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjayhawk View Post
Thank you Turk, I'll check into the hotspot and antenna solution. Since we spend most of our time in very remote locations, is WeBoost better when very weak signal? What model do you have?
I believe it is the RV 4g.
__________________
2017 Airstream International Signature 27FB Twin
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin

***Support Airstream Forum***
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:28 AM   #11
Rivet Master
 
centennialman's Avatar

 
2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,456
Hey Mike....it was actually up at State Forest. I haven't streamed movies with it but have uploaded them and then played them.
__________________
Steve "Centennial Man"
centennialman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:30 AM   #12
Rivet Master
 
centennialman's Avatar

 
2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,456
It's the WeBoost Drive 4G-X RV. I purchased it from the great folks at Techno Rv www.technorv.com
__________________
Steve "Centennial Man"
centennialman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:13 AM   #13
Rivet Master
 
DaveP's Avatar

 
2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 521
Mike,

I have the 4G Home version in my trailer. We streamed video from Netflix when we were at Reinecker Ridge in central Colorado (in the middle of nowhere). I boosted 2 bars of x to 3 bars of 3G (which was enough). The Ridge was between us and Fairplay so we had to point the antenna east to some towers further away. Good product!
__________________
DaveP
2004 Airstream Classic 28 "Willard"
2014 Ford F150 FX4 Ecoboost
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:05 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Clearlake , California
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Goose View Post
When shopping for a cell booster, I would look for one that is LTE capable. Canada ditched GSM & CDMA entirely 2 years ago. It is possible that US telcos may begin to phase those technologies out here well as they begin to roll out 5G. Presumably LTE will remain viable for the foreseeable future.
LTE has nothing to do with GSM/CDMA. 4G LTE is the cell signal, GSM/CDMA are the technologies in your phone/device.

Per PC Mag: "In the US, Sprint, Verizon, and US Cellular use CDMA. AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM. Most of the rest of the world uses GSM. The global spread of GSM came about because in 1987, Europe mandated the technology by law, and because GSM comes from an industry consortium."
__________________

napabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cell Phone Booster - Verizon pdozanne On The Road... 5 11-29-2012 07:37 PM
Cell Phone Booster gaylejoe Phone, CB & Ham Radio 10 11-15-2007 12:19 PM
cell phone booster norbert Off Topic Forum 10 11-19-2005 07:41 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.