Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2015, 08:04 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Can a Yamaha 2000 run my AC?

We have a 13500 AC unit and already own a Yamaha 2000kw. Will this power up our AC? If so, I'll be psyched as the generator is easy to transport and I already own it!
gomotomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:08 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
Probably not. The high draw on startup will damage the compressor, I have heard.
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:10 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
It might work if you use one of these:

MSH-M Series Inverter/Charger - Magnum Energy, Inc.

It uses the battery to supplement start up loads.

Eric
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:23 AM   #4
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
The Coleman specs list their 13,500 unit at 10.8 amps running. The Yamaha provides a rated 13.3 amps operating... So, even if the 16.7 amp surge rating of the Yamaha would handle the start up current of the A/C compressor, which I don't believe it will, you would only have 2.5 amps reserve capacity. So you'll be tripping the overload any time anything else comes on... Lights, water pump, microwave, toaster, coffee maker, TV. It's just too small a unit for that much load.

Unless it wasn't a typo when you posted "2000 kW"... That would run a small town!.

-Red, full of good news...
Old 07-17-2015, 08:23 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
I can always pick up another unit and run them in tandem. This way I have have two lightweight generators and can generate about 3600 kw. If we don't need the AC, I can always just use one of them.
gomotomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:30 AM   #6
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
There you go!

-Red, liking the way you think...
Old 07-17-2015, 08:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
The Yamaha 2000 will not start a 13.5K A/C unit alone, but their 2400 will. There a few folks on these Forums that are doing just that.

A single 2000 in conjunction with a Magnum MSH3012M hybrid inverter/charger WILL start and run your roof A/C (even a 15K unit) by supplementing the power available from the Yamaha and seamlessly adding power to meet the requirements of the A/C unit.

You will either need a very large lead based battery bank (600 amp/hours +) or lithium battery pack of at least 400 amp/hour to accomplish this.

A second companion generator is far more cost effective if you're not going for the solar/battery/inverter upgrade.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Not just any Yamaha 2400 gen will start and run a 13,500 ac. It has to be the Yamaha 2400hc (high capacity) gen. I have one and it will start and run my 13,500 a/c.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:27 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomotomoto View Post
We have a 13500 AC unit and already own a Yamaha 2000kw. Will this power up our AC? If so, I'll be psyched as the generator is easy to transport and I already own it!
Keep in mind that a generator should never be used for more than 80 percent of it's output.

The second and most important thing, is when you plug the trailer into a generator, what all are you supplying power to?

If only the AC is on, your still supplying power to the "Univolt" as well.

Depending on the battery condition, the Univolt can draw as much as 6 amps, or 720 watts, all by itself, plus the AC.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:29 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
2000 watts will _____

Your 2000 watt genset will run the AC, just not the compressor. You can turn the fan & also the heat strip, if one is installed.

I bought a 3000 watt Dometic sine wave inverter genset in 2011. It can run a 15,000 BTU AC, no problem. This genset has electric start + a recoil rope backup starter.
Noise is very low except when load is near max.

Let's Roll !
Wolf
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:42 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Canyon Country , California
Don't the Airstream's come with a Generator installed? I've looked at Airstream's for years and always assumed there was a built-in Onan 6 KW to hand the load. Even a 3KW Generator is pushing it's limits. But at least that will work. A 2K forget about it.
Or is this a backup Generator? You could take two 2K Generators and hook them up in Parallel to handle the extra load....but don't run out of gas on either one.
David
aa6rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:59 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Henderson , Nevada
It will run the fan , tv , lights but will kick off when you turn the air on. You will need to add the second generator for the air.
Rocker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:22 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1989 35' Argosy 5th Wheel
1979 rgosy 27
Danville , Vermont
I doubt it will run the air conditioner, but maybe. I have the 3000 honda that does well, but cannot run microwave or coffee maker at the same time. If you invest, look for a sister to yours and a connection kit. Sometimes you only need one, and they are easier to carry. I wish I had bought two honda suitcase 2000's instead of my 3000.
fordfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:46 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa6rv View Post
Don't the Airstream's come with a Generator installed? I've looked at Airstream's for years and always assumed there was a built-in Onan 6 KW to hand the load.
David
Only the Motorhomes have generators. Not the trailers. Well, there was a 12 volt generator option built in for a few years in the early 70's. It was not popular nor was it a good generator.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Only the Motorhomes have generators. Not the trailers. Well, there was a 12 volt generator option built in for a few years in the early 70's. It was not popular nor was it a good generator.
I had that 12 volt generator in my 73 31 foot Airstream.

When that generator worked, is was very good.

However, when you traveled the country, of course you change altitudes.

When that happens, all you had to do was adjust the carburetor, again and again and again.

As I recall, a change in as little of 1000 (one thousand) feet required another adjustment.

Then and only then, did that generator work properly.

Oh well, Airstream tried, as they always do, but sometimes it just doesn't work out.

How many remember pumping the black water into the hot exhaust system of the tow vehicle, but only when moving over 20 MPH.

Unfortunately, the pump would also work at a stop light.

Talk about being embarrassed.

Andy
Old 07-17-2015, 01:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

How many remember pumping the black water into the hot exhaust system of the tow vehicle, but only when moving over 20 MPH.

Andy
Ah, the Thermasan system. It was supposed to be all automatic and only pump when going over 20 mph, but like many things, when it failed, it failed spectacularly.

The GMC forums had a member who designed and upgraded that system as his job. Unfortunately, by the time it became perfected the company that made it was tired of the start up system issues and caned the entire project. It also didn't really dispose of enough liquid per hour, so you had to travel a lot of hours to empty the tanks.

I am getting too old, Andy, and like you, remember too much.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Ah, the Thermasan system. It was supposed to be all automatic and only pump when going over 20 mph, but like many things, when it failed, it failed spectacularly.

The GMC forums had a member who designed and upgraded that system as his job. Unfortunately, by the time it became perfected the company that made it was tired of the start up system issues and caned the entire project. It also didn't really dispose of enough liquid per hour, so you had to travel a lot of hours to empty the tanks.

I am getting too old, Andy, and like you, remember too much.
Remembering some things though, is far better than nothing.

At least you and I can say, "been there done that".

Andy
Old 07-17-2015, 04:08 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:

There was also an option for a propane Onan 2500 (similar to what is in the Sprinters and B190s) in the 90s, for at least the 30' and probably the 34' trailers (it was in place of under-dinette storage). When we were buying ours, we came across one...that's the only reason I know. It included 40 lb propane tanks as part of the package. We didn't buy that trailer; it went for a lot more than we felt it was worth.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:51 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Are you serious?

Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa6rv View Post
Don't the Airstream's come with a Generator installed? I've looked at Airstream's for years and always assumed there was a built-in Onan 6 KW to hand the load. Even a 3KW Generator is pushing it's limits. But at least that will work. A 2K forget about it.
Or is this a backup Generator? You could take two 2K Generators and hook them up in Parallel to handle the extra load....but don't run out of gas on either one.
David
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:59 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Lewster,
Good grief, I had totally forgotten about the Thetford "ThermoSan" debacle back in the 70's. I had one installed on a "Discoverer" motorhome that was built on a Dodge chassis with the 413 engine.....
There was also a model of it that actually had a disconnect for trailers that had a pump and a hose that pumped the crap into the exhause system of the tow vehicle. As I remember those were also the early days of the catalytic converter. The crap as I remember was injected into the exhaust manifold ahead of the converter, and ruined many of them...
Ahhhh yes, the good old days!

Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
I had that 12 volt generator in my 73 31 foot Airstream.

When that generator worked, is was very good.

However, when you traveled the country, of course you change altitudes.

When that happens, all you had to do was adjust the carburetor, again and again and again.

As I recall, a change in as little of 1000 (one thousand) feet required another adjustment.

Then and only then, did that generator work properly.

Oh well, Airstream tried, as they always do, but sometimes it just doesn't work out.

Andy
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote