Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-17-2015, 01:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Only the Motorhomes have generators. Not the trailers. Well, there was a 12 volt generator option built in for a few years in the early 70's. It was not popular nor was it a good generator.
I had that 12 volt generator in my 73 31 foot Airstream.

When that generator worked, is was very good.

However, when you traveled the country, of course you change altitudes.

When that happens, all you had to do was adjust the carburetor, again and again and again.

As I recall, a change in as little of 1000 (one thousand) feet required another adjustment.

Then and only then, did that generator work properly.

Oh well, Airstream tried, as they always do, but sometimes it just doesn't work out.

How many remember pumping the black water into the hot exhaust system of the tow vehicle, but only when moving over 20 MPH.

Unfortunately, the pump would also work at a stop light.

Talk about being embarrassed.

Andy
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 02:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master
 
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post


How many remember pumping the black water into the hot exhaust system of the tow vehicle, but only when moving over 20 MPH.

Unfortunately, the pump would also work at a stop light.

Talk about being embarrassed.

Andy
Ah, the Thermasan system. It was supposed to be all automatic and only pump when going over 20 mph, but like many things, when it failed, it failed spectacularly.

The GMC forums had a member who designed and upgraded that system as his job. Unfortunately, by the time it became perfected the company that made it was tired of the start up system issues and caned the entire project. It also didn't really dispose of enough liquid per hour, so you had to travel a lot of hours to empty the tanks.

I am getting too old, Andy, and like you, remember too much.
__________________

__________________
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 02:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Ah, the Thermasan system. It was supposed to be all automatic and only pump when going over 20 mph, but like many things, when it failed, it failed spectacularly.

The GMC forums had a member who designed and upgraded that system as his job. Unfortunately, by the time it became perfected the company that made it was tired of the start up system issues and caned the entire project. It also didn't really dispose of enough liquid per hour, so you had to travel a lot of hours to empty the tanks.

I am getting too old, Andy, and like you, remember too much.
Remembering some things though, is far better than nothing.

At least you and I can say, "been there done that".

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:08 PM   #18
Rivet Master
 
Skater's Avatar
 
1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Only the Motorhomes have generators. Not the trailers. Well, there was a 12 volt generator option built in for a few years in the early 70's. It was not popular nor was it a good generator.

There was also an option for a propane Onan 2500 (similar to what is in the Sprinters and B190s) in the 90s, for at least the 30' and probably the 34' trailers (it was in place of under-dinette storage). When we were buying ours, we came across one...that's the only reason I know. It included 40 lb propane tanks as part of the package. We didn't buy that trailer; it went for a lot more than we felt it was worth.
__________________
1995 Airstream Classic 30' Excella 1000
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with Cummins 6.7L Diesel

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:51 PM   #19
Rivet Master
 
Larry C's Avatar
 
1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 745
Are you serious?

Larry


Quote:
Originally Posted by aa6rv View Post
Don't the Airstream's come with a Generator installed? I've looked at Airstream's for years and always assumed there was a built-in Onan 6 KW to hand the load. Even a 3KW Generator is pushing it's limits. But at least that will work. A 2K forget about it.
Or is this a backup Generator? You could take two 2K Generators and hook them up in Parallel to handle the extra load....but don't run out of gas on either one.
David
__________________
Old age is coming at a really bad time!

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:59 PM   #20
Rivet Master
 
Larry C's Avatar
 
1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 745
Lewster,
Good grief, I had totally forgotten about the Thetford "ThermoSan" debacle back in the 70's. I had one installed on a "Discoverer" motorhome that was built on a Dodge chassis with the 413 engine.....
There was also a model of it that actually had a disconnect for trailers that had a pump and a hose that pumped the crap into the exhause system of the tow vehicle. As I remember those were also the early days of the catalytic converter. The crap as I remember was injected into the exhaust manifold ahead of the converter, and ruined many of them...
Ahhhh yes, the good old days!

Larry




Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
I had that 12 volt generator in my 73 31 foot Airstream.

When that generator worked, is was very good.

However, when you traveled the country, of course you change altitudes.

When that happens, all you had to do was adjust the carburetor, again and again and again.

As I recall, a change in as little of 1000 (one thousand) feet required another adjustment.

Then and only then, did that generator work properly.

Oh well, Airstream tried, as they always do, but sometimes it just doesn't work out.

How many remember pumping the black water into the hot exhaust system of the tow vehicle, but only when moving over 20 MPH.

Unfortunately, the pump would also work at a stop light.

Talk about being embarrassed.

Andy
__________________

__________________
Old age is coming at a really bad time!

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yamaha 2800 vs the Yamaha 2400iSHC gaylejoe Generators & Solar Power 14 04-30-2017 09:55 PM
Yamaha 2800: will it run a 13.5k AC? gaylejoe Generators & Solar Power 18 09-23-2012 01:39 PM
Generators -- Honda 2000 vs. Yamaha 2400 Redcobra Generators & Solar Power 33 03-07-2011 12:12 PM
Yamaha EF 2000 IA vs Honda EU2000 IA Chasmorgan Generators & Solar Power 14 07-15-2010 05:56 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.