Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-31-2014, 07:15 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member
 
1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 329
Rivet Camping on old US 66

Boondocking on old US66 between Kingman and Ash Fork AZ.

We are interested if anyone has stayed or knows of any dry camping spots along this stretch of old Route 66 "now Az state highway 66" .

We will be traveling the Mother Road on the 3rd of April and would love to camp along this fine old original stretch of pure Americana and listen for the ghosts of old dust bowl, great depresion travelers as they pass by seeking the "promise of a better life" out in California .

Will be our first time on this section of 66 and would like it to be "special" for the wife and grand kids "if they get to go.

Will be headed west and a spot toward Kingman would be nice .

I hear Peach Springs was the inspiration that turned into Radiator Springs on the "Cars" movie.

We will be in a 3/4 ton Dodge , pulling a short 22 ft Safari two axle Airstream with a bit of added ground clearance,
and don't mind some dirt and rocks.

Any help would be appreciated.
__________________

__________________
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
Lumatic's Avatar

 
1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,642
Images: 16
Blog Entries: 1
The Wigwam Motel in Holbrook may be open to camping in their lot. They are an old Rt 66 motels with teepee cabins and a lot of vintage stuff.
__________________

__________________
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:41 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
 
1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 329
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
The Wigwam Motel in Holbrook may be open to camping in their lot. They are an old Rt 66 motels with teepee cabins and a lot of vintage stuff.
Thanks, have been by that one in the past ,
Looking for a spot north east of Kingman , this time
__________________
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master
 
FreshAir's Avatar

 
1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,327
Images: 2
Wish I had taken more pics the last time that I was on Rte 66.....1952. We
(parents and brother) were traveling from Michigan to California. Our 26' foot trailer had no waste tanks so it meant searching for a trailer park with overnighter hookups. No Good Sam or GPS back then. One night we staid at the rear of a gas station with electric extension cord and used the station restrooms.

Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1952...girl in trailer park.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	229549  
Attached Images
  
__________________
Neil and Lynn Holman
FreshAir #12407

Avatar;
Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master
 
Hittenstiehl's Avatar

 
1961 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,047
Images: 9
FreshAir those beautiful pictures are classic and priceless.
__________________

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master
 
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,591
I can't help you with the camping but I do have to put down a RT 66 story for you and others.

It was 1962 and I was in College. My parents had a new VW bus and we drove to CA from NY on a winter trip. My dad had to stay in CA, mom and I took a plane back after New Years. It was my first trip west. We drove old 66 most of the way. Max speed with the bus was 60 mph, flat out. All 36 hp. We enjoyed the trip a lot.

Fast forward to 2008. Parents both gone now. I winter in the PHX area. Took a ride up to the Petrified Forest National park in AZ. In driving the N-S road through the park there is a pullout where old 66 crossed the park but the actual road is obliterated now. I 40 is visible about a mile from that spot. There was no one around at all. I pulled out and got out of the car. I looked down the scar where the road had been, and suddenly I saw in my mind the red and white VW bus chugging along with the three of us in it. I waved, my younger self and parents waved back. I watched the VW drive out of sight. It seemed so real, so magic. Tears are running down my face as I type this. It was 50 years ago, that trip. I was 22, now I am 72.

It is sad that so few people will have any road trip experiences like this. Get that Airstream out and be sure to make them while you can.
__________________
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:59 AM   #7
1987 Avion 34W owner
 
PaulnGina's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,895
Great story, idroba! Great memories!

I have memories like that and I get the same feelings when I sit and think about them, or when I happen to be in the exact spot where those memories occurred.
__________________
"Long lay the world in sin and error pining
Till He appeared and the soul felt its worth"
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:15 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member
 
2014 28' International
San Jose , California
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 52
You inspired me to share a quick Route 66 story. In 1958, driving a '58 Chevy, my mother and I (age 7)drove from Calif thru New Mexico. We stopped at lots of the little sites and went out to Canyon de chelly etc. It was quite an adventure and there were always mishaps ... like road construction causing an hour wait ... or when on the 4th of July she locked the keys in the trunk. That took a while to get straightened out on a holiday.
__________________
Makaira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:33 PM   #9
Home of Vortex tuning
 
CDONA's Avatar
 
2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 523
Images: 9
The section from Topock to Kingman is mostly BLM land with dispersed camping. Kingman east, mostly private land, turnouts along 66 access mostly railroad property. Not much to boondock on in the small towns Hackberry to Ash Fork. Peach Springs may have something of a RV park, along with the one north of Kingman in Valle Vista.
__________________
"Chip Tank" is in Paso Robles Ca..
CDONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:23 PM   #10
Growing old but not up
 
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Louis , Missouri
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 17
With a lot of luck and more hard work our 72' Ambassador should be road worthy this spring. The first stop is an overnight at a local WalMart and then westward bound on Old 66. Cabin fever has set in and we can't wait for the cold weather to leave and warmer weather to return.
__________________
riskstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:44 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member
 
1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 329
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
I can't help you with the camping but I do have to put down a RT 66 story for you and others.

It was 1962 and I was in College. My parents had a new VW bus and we drove to CA from NY on a winter trip. My dad had to stay in CA, mom and I took a plane back after New Years. It was my first trip west. We drove old 66 most of the way. Max speed with the bus was 60 mph, flat out. All 36 hp. We enjoyed the trip a lot.

Fast forward to 2008. Parents both gone now. I winter in the PHX area. Took a ride up to the Petrified Forest National park in AZ. In driving the N-S road through the park there is a pullout where old 66 crossed the park but the actual road is obliterated now. I 40 is visible about a mile from that spot. There was no one around at all. I pulled out and got out of the car. I looked down the scar where the road had been, and suddenly I saw in my mind the red and white VW bus chugging along with the three of us in it. I waved, my younger self and parents waved back. I watched the VW drive out of sight. It seemed so real, so magic. Tears are running down my face as I type this. It was 50 years ago, that trip. I was 22, now I am 72.

It is sad that so few people will have any road trip experiences like this. Get that Airstream out and be sure to make them while you can.

Fantastic story ! thanks for sharing !
We were stopped at that exact spot in May of last year.
As I stood in the middle of what had been 66 , I closed my eyes and could see and hear old K Binders and Model Ts struggling up the slight grade as they slowly made their way west .

Same thing happened up in the Yukon the summer of 13 when we pulled onto an abandoned stretch of the old Alcan highway to boondock for the night. As I sat in my chair by the trailer , I could almost see Dads old 67 Bronco with the homemade chuck wagon trailer behind, coming up the road that we had traveled together back in 1970 . I saluted Dad as the rig rolled by , and whispered out load "Thanks Dad ! Thanks so much for this and all the great adventures you shared with me ! " and for instilling in me a never ending desire to travel this grand Continent as there is adventure around every curve , and excitement over each pass .
__________________
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:58 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member
 
2015 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
mesquite , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 105
retire almost 20 yrs. ago and started driving an 18 wheeler across the u.s. and Canada, saw lots of country coast to coast and Canada. but couldn't stop and enjoy. now have 2013 23 ft. airstream and getting to see all those places I saw but never saw. including parts of rt.66.

a child my age shouldn't have it this good.
__________________
moxie t. moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:31 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member
 
1965 17' Caravel
Silver Cliff , Colorado
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 63
Images: 15
My first trip on 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
Wish I had taken more pics the last time that I was on Rte 66.....1952. We
(parents and brother) were traveling from Michigan to California. Our 26' foot trailer had no waste tanks so it meant searching for a trailer park with overnighter hookups. No Good Sam or GPS back then. One night we staid at the rear of a gas station with electric extension cord and used the station restrooms.

Neil
It was 1948 and I was 10 years old. It was our last trip as a complete family as my sister was getting married upon our return. We were sporting a brand new Higgens Tent trailer. Pretty up scale for our family. We made a round trip through northern NM, Utah, WY and back to Colorado. We toured the Grand Canyon, Painted Desert, Petrified Forest, Salt Lake for a swim and ride on the then largest Roller Coaster in the World, Saltair beach on Salt lake then on to Yellowstone Park and return home to eastern Colorado where our ranch was. I had my older sister & brother to myself and it was a real thrill. We crossed and traveled on 66 much of the south route. We were gone about a month in our 41 Ford Sedan and the trailer. I think that was the primer for my continuing love of travel. My wife and I have upscaled to a 1965 Airstream Caravel which we keep hot on the road as often as possible. It is parked axle deep in snow now so the call of southern AZ NM and Utah is sounding very loud to me.

Don
__________________
D Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:12 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member
 
1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 329
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bishop View Post
It was 1948 and I was 10 years old. It was our last trip as a complete family as my sister was getting married upon our return. We were sporting a brand new Higgens Tent trailer. Pretty up scale for our family. We made a round trip through northern NM, Utah, WY and back to Colorado. We toured the Grand Canyon, Painted Desert, Petrified Forest, Salt Lake for a swim and ride on the then largest Roller Coaster in the World, Saltair beach on Salt lake then on to Yellowstone Park and return home to eastern Colorado where our ranch was. I had my older sister & brother to myself and it was a real thrill. We crossed and traveled on 66 much of the south route. We were gone about a month in our 41 Ford Sedan and the trailer. I think that was the primer for my continuing love of travel. My wife and I have upscaled to a 1965 Airstream Caravel which we keep hot on the road as often as possible. It is parked axle deep in snow now so the call of southern AZ NM and Utah is sounding very loud to me.

Don
J C Higgens , was sold by Sears and Robucks , was it not ?
__________________

__________________
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
towing an old trailer with an old truck tworavens Tow Vehicles 9 04-06-2014 06:37 AM
Old, old, old airconditioner removal bilby05 Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning 2 10-17-2012 05:19 PM
Tires- How old is too old?? rbr Tires 20 08-09-2009 10:26 AM
Camping or Luxury Camping? Devoman Our Community 47 08-26-2006 10:57 PM
I had a fun day (pictures) Old trailers and old stuff RichardT Off Topic Forum 11 03-13-2005 04:49 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.