Old 06-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #155
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
NPR Shows on Bears

I heard a show last week with some very good tips about what to do when you encounter a bear. I'm posting a list of the shows because I can't remember which one it was but there are several to listen to if your are in bear country, It was fascinating & informative to say the least.

http://www.npr.org/search/index.php?searchinput=bears

bears : NPR Search (BETA)

I think this is a good show - this guy is amazing.

http://www.npr.org/2012/06/10/154308...d-drinking-pee

'58 Shasta Canned Ham
silverwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:05 AM   #156
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Whatever you do, don't read "Fighting for Your Life - Man-eater Bears" by Tom Hron if you want to camp in Alaska! It gave me nightmares and convinced me I probably will be a mite nervous on a trip to Denali or Glacier National Parks! And back country hiking in those areas,? Uh, no thanks. By the way, Hron doesn't think much of bear whistles and such...

Before reading Hron's book, I never feared black bears at all and had seen quite a few in the wild since I spent a lot of my adult life in the Ozark Mountains. But after that blood curdling read I might not be so quick to saunter off into the Ozark National Forest (home to most of Arkansas' population of around 4,000 estimated black bears) in the future. Heck, I thought those guys only ate nuts & berries and stuff. No more ginseng digging expeditions for this ole girl!

It's always something! If it ain't snakes, it's bears! LOL. Love that Airstream forums have threads about snakes & bears! Do we have any lions and tigers threads? Never a dull moment.

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:13 AM   #157
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawChick View Post
Whatever you do, don't read "Fighting for Your Life - Man-eater Bears" by Tom Hron if you want to camp in Alaska! It gave me nightmares and convinced me I probably will be a mite nervous on a trip to Denali or Glacier National Parks! And back country hiking in those areas,? Uh, no thanks. By the way, Hron doesn't think much of bear whistles and such...

Before reading Hron's book, I never feared black bears at all and had seen quite a few in the wild since I spent a lot of my adult life in the Ozark Mountains. But after that blood curdling read I might not be so quick to saunter off into the Ozark National Forest (home to most of Arkansas' population of around 4,000 estimated black bears) in the future. Heck, I thought those guys only ate nuts & berries and stuff. No more ginseng digging expeditions for this ole girl!

It's always something! If it ain't snakes, it's bears! LOL. Love that Airstream forums have threads about snakes & bears! Do we have any lions and tigers threads? Never a dull moment.
I would be very willing to bet that the likelihood of being killed by a bear (or even seriously hurt for that matter) is much much lower than wrecking your car on the way to your hike. Best to put the actual risk in context so you don't limit your experiences...

List of fatal bear attacks in North America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...atalities.html
Old 07-08-2012, 07:46 AM   #158
Mountain High

1990 32' Excella
Adirondack Mountains , New York
I've been camping in the Adirondack mountains of upstate New York for over 40 years and have had a bear at the campsite twice. The first time I was camping at Forked Lake in a tent and my dog woke me up by growling. As I laid in the sleeping bag the back of the tent pushed in a little as the bear walked by. I believe the dog kept the bear from investigating further. The second time was in Moose River Recreation area and had a bear grab my beverage cooler as all food was put away. It was dark and my wife and brother-in-law were putting the kids to bed, his in a tent and ours in a pop-up camper. The bear did not want to leave and it took us about 20 minutes to convince the bear to leave. Started with shouting and making a lot of noise and the bear let go of the cooler and moved away about 10 feet and was pacing back and forth. Next was rock throwing (into the woods not at the bear) and finally 3-4 gun shots got the bear moving. This time my dog (different mutt) slept through all the commotion. So the odds are in the Adirondacks there is a good chance that you won't see a bear but if you do you must respect them, keep your distance, make lots of noise and don't run.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-968120707.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	162695