Old 05-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #141
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
So there I was standing on a riverbank in Alaska fishing for salmon with a herd of strangers. I saw a movement on the other side (20 feet) and a bear came out of the woods and stood on the bank.

Being a Californian who'd been in Alaska three days. I looked at the bear for a moment and looked to my side to see if the other fishermen had seen the bear.

This is where it got surreal.

All I saw were fishing rods hanging in the the air for a moment and then falling to the ground.

As I dropped my rod and spun around to do my jesse Owens imitation two things came to mind.

1, All I see is high speed flannel and the bottoms of very fast moving boots. I gotta tell you. Those older heavier guys were keeping up and in some cases passing the younger fitter ones.

2, That joke "I don't have to be faster than a bear. I just need to be faster than you." Is not a joke. It's a statement of fact.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #142
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Missoula is just as bad. When school is in session that place gets crazy. I have a cousin that lives about 30 miles south on 93 in a little town called Victor. There used to be a log building business there on the highway, I think called Wilderness Log Homes. When we were kids the guys there would hire us to peel logs with draw knives. I think we got about four bucks a log.
Anyway I saw some pretty good fights in the Victor Bar. It was tough being deputy in small towns like that. The loggers would come into town after being in the woods for a couple of weeks and raise hell and if the Deputy would try to break it up more than likely he would get his butt kicked too. I never spent a whole lot of time there but I remember the only Safeway was in Hamilton, the County seat. They also had a great County fair(Ravalli County) where my Aunt would enter pickles and other canned goods. Lots of fun.
Hey..... I think I have to take my Airstream there next summer and see if it's the same. It was really wild. My cousins used to tell me there was a house in Lolo where you could go after it. We never did as we were either to scared or never had the money. My uncle lived right on the Bitteroot river and St. Marys peak domitated the skyline. It was beautiful. I caught my first Dolly Vardon sp. trout in Lolo creek. We used to swim in the irrigation ditches, which looking back on it was pretty dangerous. All in all a good part of the country.
I would imagine it's changed, my experiences were 35 years ago and I see on the internet it's become a pretty expensive place to live.

Enough reminissing, time to make a visit.
Dan

Old 05-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #143
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
PS, No bears in that story but I saw a news item on Canadian Broadcasting the other day about a guy who was dethroned (their words) while sitting in a sani-can. The bear beat him up pretty good. I've been seeing a lot of bear incident stories lately. I don't know if it's because there has ben an increase or I am more aware of them because of this thread. Anyway we were going to go on our first rally this weekend but my Dads favorite beagle is dying and he is pretty broken up and doesn't want to go, and if I go and the beagle dies while I'm gone I'll never hear the end of it. Aging parents, he can be a real PITA too.
Dan
Old 05-31-2012, 12:43 AM   #144
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
I caught my first Dolly Vardon sp. trout in Lolo creek. We used to swim in the irrigation ditches, which looking back on it was pretty dangerous. All in all a good part of the country.
I would imagine it's changed, my experiences were 35 years ago and I see on the internet it's become a pretty expensive place to live.

Enough reminissing, time to make a visit.
Dan
Impressive fishing in Lolo Creek!
I grew up in Lolo and it was my first teaching job after USN ... then I was the cop followed by comm. college instructor in a similar small town further north... with summers in GNP - lots of bears there! And, yes, it has become very expensive to live here - with average income aroun d $23k and teachers in last place for pay nationally!
Old 05-31-2012, 01:07 AM   #145
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Mefly2, When we were in Lolo there was'nt much there. A couple of bars, market, church etc. We used to drive up the pass and there was a hot springs on the Montana side of the border. It was about a mile hike back in but they were great. We would then go to a tavern across the state line in Idaho and try to get someone to buy us Coors beer since they did'nt sell it in MT at the time.I'm gonna try to visit backdown hwy 93 this summer. Missoula to Darby. Lots of good fishing and hiking.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:04 AM   #146
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Mefly, I also remember there was a weight scale in Lolo on hwy 93. I think a little north of town. I had a VW beetle and every once in a while we would have it weighed. I think there was a red light or a stop sign and I had a friend that lived in a little housing development, It was east of the road as you were heading south and I remember it had a small man made lake with a dock. I am definately gonna try to get back there this summer. It was pretty wild there back then and pretty cheap. I had other friends that bought some nice bench land, about 20 acres for about 1000.00 an acre. Good place to go streaming. Lots of bears too. (just to keep this on topic).
Old 06-01-2012, 08:56 AM   #147
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Dan, maybe the BURINE headquarters could be there and called LoLo PeePee.

Gene
Old 06-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #148
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
Dan, maybe the BURINE headquarters could be there and called LoLo PeePee.

Gene
Here we go again. .

I need to put my grand kids on this thread, so into peepee and poopoo talk. They'd match you guys, joke for joke!

Maggie
Old 06-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #149
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Maggie.really? Why, we were in the world of high finance there for awhile. I thought you would recognize my brilliant vision. Gene don't get me started again. I need something new to be irreverent about. LoLo PeePee. C'mon Gene you can do better than that.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #150
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
I just noticed that was my 400th post. I never imagined this would hold my interest for so long. I'm getting busy with summertime activities so this will slow down some but I'm always looking for a good opportunity to engage in another venture, wherever it may lead.

Dan
Old 06-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #151
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
I just noticed that was my 400th post. I never imagined this would hold my interest for so long.
As you slip into infantile existence, the posts come faster and faster and in a few more years of an empty life, you'll be hitting 5,000, 6,000, 7,000….

When you get to 10,000, they apply the restraints and you have to chew through them.

Gene
Old 06-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #152
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Mefly, I also remember there was a weight scale in Lolo on hwy 93. I think a little north of town....I am definately gonna try to get back there this summer. ... Lots of bears too. (just to keep this on topic).
With the AS you will be set for a road trip safe from the bears!
My grandfather and then my uncle owned / ran one of the taverns for some time in the 50s & 60s. It has now been remodeled and is a regular stop for many before they head across to ID. The trip across the pass to ID is very spectacular whether you stop for refresjments or not. The cedar trees and route are unique and there are motorcycle groups that head over regularly to the Lochsa Lodge ... bear sign all over the place.

We had a fellow ready to be sworn in as a deputy with LE vehicle driving training that hit wildlife that emerged on the roadway; he was unable to avoid the impact with his m/c and was killed. So, use caution on that route. Wildlife and bears all over the roadways with little area on either side with which to evade the animals.
Be sure to check out the Lolo low gas prices and slow down on the beverages ... we had a local drown in his tipi (not teepee).
Old 06-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #153
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Coverage is everything./Users/daniellehosky/Downloads/Alaska man mauled by bear climbs tree to escape - U.S. News.webarchive
Old 06-16-2012, 11:46 PM   #154
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
You should NOT run from a bear. They will false (hopefully) charge you, but you should stand your ground, and have pepper spray ready!
Another interesting note: the likelihood of a bear attach on a group of 5 or more people is nearly non-existent.