Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2009, 01:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
golden , Colorado
Campground recommendations in Central CO

We're looking at a week long trip during Sept 12 through 20th. Thinking of doing a loop, something like Golden-Eagle-Grand Junction-Ouray-Gunnison-Breckenridge-Golden (but not necessary to stop at any of those locations. We could take the loop down south and hit Durango and Pagosa Springs and skip Gunnison.

Basically I was hoping I could get some recommendations of great campgrounds/boondocking locations along that route. I prefer campgrounds with no hookups as they tend to be less crowded (so far the smaller state parks are my favorite).

I'll offer up some reviews of some of the Arkansas headwaters state park campgrounds. I've stayed at Ruby Mountain, Hecla Junction, and Railroad Bridge and would rank them in that order. Ruby is 2.5 miles back on a pretty bumpy dirt road, has good hiking, and is fairly secluded. Hecla is a takeout for Brown's Canyon, so get's busy with rafters during the day but has some hiking. Railroad Bridge is takeout for Numbers, just not terribly scenic at that spot. Thanks for the advice!
Craig
1cericks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:35 PM   #2
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Here's a some of my faves.
Pagosa Springs-West Fork CG at the base of Wolf Creek Pass
Durango-La Plata Canyon just west of town
Silverton-Little Molas Lake
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Here is what I would do (and we have). Get the Colorado Road Atlas and Gazatteer. It shows all the 4 wheel drive and less travels roads everywhere in the state. You can find boondocking on most of them. It also will show the campgrounds in all areas. As you are driving thru an area, if you see a campground, drive thru it and see if it fits the bill. I can tell you that there are some nice places to camp up from Gunnison, around Crested Butte. One that we really liked was called Lakeview/Bighorn at Taylor Reservoir. It is a reservable thru ReserveUSA and I think is open thru September.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Ridgway State Park has both full hook ups and electric sites. It's a nice park and best to go there now because the fees will probably be increased next year. You'll be several miles north of Ridgway and some more north of Ouray.

We were just in Lake City. Wupperman CG south of town has sites along Lake San Cristobal, no hook ups, but there is water and dump station. Nice views. It's county owned. $15/night. Dump: $10. It's about 5 miles south of town via Colo. 149 and County 33. Lake City is 46 miles south of US 50 between Gunnison and Montrose.

Around Glenwood, oil and gas workers monopolize the campgrounds. There's one east in Glenwood Canyon that has difficult backin spaces and some reviews on the internet were very negative. Never stayed there, but drove through and didn't like the looks of it.

There's a campground south of I-70 between Eagle and Gypsum, River Dance. Check this site for reviews of this and others: RV Park Reviews :: Home Reviews of River Dance were mixed.

There may be a campground in Colorado NM, just south of Grand Jct. There are campgrounds on Grand Mesa and Jumbo CG has some electric sites.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
There's a State Park in Fruita, just south of the interstate, on the road that goes up into the National Monument, west entrance. Pretty spacious and well-separated sites, I think it's on the Colorado River.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:30 PM   #6
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The state park between Fruita and GJ is also between I-70, the Colorado R., and the railroad. Reported to be noisy. The state Welcome Centers at Fruita and Eagle have free dump stations.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:09 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
Here is a site I like .It gives you links to NFS,BLM,county,state,boondocking lots of good stuff. http://www.rv-camping.org|colorado.html
Gypsy Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
We were just in Lake City. Wupperman CG south of town has sites along Lake San Cristobal, no hook ups, but there is water and dump station. Nice views. It's county owned. $15/night. Dump: $10. It's about 5 miles south of town via Colo. 149 and County 33. Lake City is 46 miles south of US 50 between Gunnison and Montrose.
Been there, really liked it! All sites are perched above the lake with views abound!
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:21 PM   #9
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
GypsyJo - I couldn't get your link to work??? Wanted to ck it out. :<{

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
Old 08-17-2009, 04:29 PM   #10
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by COArgosy78 View Post
GypsyJo - I couldn't get your link to work??? Wanted to ck it out. :<{
The link has issues try this RV Camping

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:40 PM   #11
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Thanks GD! Looks interesting. ;>)

Old 08-17-2009, 08:55 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
The link has issues try this RV Camping
Thanks for helping out .I probably did something wong . It is agood site I can't load all the info but what I do get to look at is great.
Gypsy Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:01 PM   #13
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Jo View Post
Thanks for helping out .I probably did something wong . It is agood site I can't load all the info but what I do get to look at is great.
I don't think it was you. I tried to fix the link but for some reason the / between org and colorado kept turning into a | instead, which of course, simply does not work. Anyway, I was happy to help.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:53 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
If you go to the Gunnison Area Taylor Park is beautiful. Boondocking places everywhere
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:13 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Erie , Pennsylvania
The KOA in Ouray is a nice place. We camped there when we had a winnebago a few years back. That whole area from Gunison on is unreal. You should really enjoy the area.
rollingbubel is offline   Reply With Quote