Old 03-23-2006, 09:55 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
California Coast

I can't help myself. I am remembering all the great trips I have taken since I travelled to Tennessee to pick up my Bambi in Oct. '99.

This was taken somewhere (sorry) between ack! Julia Pfeifer ? state park and Santa Barbara. It's ok you can't go there anyway. The last time I looked they had closed it off. It was where the state parked their vehicles when repairing the highway.

Boy, was it steep! I was afraid I was going to slip back down the road on my way out. Felt like pitching all my gear and going up empty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coast-steep-waterfall.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	19775  

My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Yikes! How did you ever get onto such a stretch of "road"? So glad you survived to share the picture ~G

Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:34 AM   #3

2005 16' International CCD
Camp Meeker , California
Big Sur

You were in Big Sur. I love traveling hwy 1. I three on Memorial Day and stayed at a campsite called Fernwood. I have not been as daring as you and never traveled off the road. In Sept. I'm traveling with my 19 ft. Bambi from Ca. to the Gulf of Mexico, up the Mississippi, thru Tenn. up thru the BlueRidge trail to Pa. Let me know if you have any good traveling tips!
Old 03-20-2008, 10:06 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
What happened?

No boondocking post's for the CALIFORNIA COAST!?!

I will be traveling up the coast from approx. Redondo Beach, to as far north as I have time for. It will be my "Holiday Trip". Leaving sometime around christmas... Begin in '08 and bring in the new year '09 on the north coast.

I plan on boondocking the whole way. Well, what else you any sane person do? Although I am pretty good at finding places on the fly, I think I'd like to have a few on my list before I start. I might be willing to stay in a state campground once in a while, if it is terrific and NOT crowded.

I'll document my spots here for others to enjoy later.

But if anyone has a great suggestion, I have a lot of lead time...
My Earthship
Old 03-21-2008, 12:05 AM   #5
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Being a CA resident, I would be keenly interested in boondocking spots along the CA coast.
Considering that state campgrounds have a 7 month sleeout during the busy seasons, boondocking would be most appealing.
Please do post your experiences, I'd love to read about it. I much prefer boondocking to organized campgrounds, not a money thing, just much prettier without the white boxes everywhere...
Old 03-21-2008, 12:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Property is usually pretty tightly controlled along the CA coast in my experience. But I'm always willing to learn new things...
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:57 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Uwe,

It has been almost 10 years since I took my last trip up Hwy 1. At that time I boondocked twice. One time was right off the ocean in a marsh type area. The other you can see in a previous post.

My belief is, where there is a will there is a way.

Thankfully this is a slow time for the state parks so, usually no problem. Why it is slow I have no idea. Even in the rain it is beautiful.

I'll keep you all posted.
My Earthship
Old 03-21-2008, 09:12 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
We find campgrounds uncrowded slightly off season as long schools are in session and it's not a weekend. We just don't want to bother if the schools are out. It's a whole different world then.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:47 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Thumbs up Sea Cliff

Hello and welcome to California. Our favorite State Park is Sea Cliff located in Aptos just south of Santa Cruz. Reservations thru Reserve America. It takes us seven months to get a week stay however sometimes there are cancelations during the week. Fav spots #2 and #26 DO NOT get spot #11 as it is next to the trash and restrooms. There are only 26 spots with full hookups and right on the beach, but please send pics of boondocking of your travels. would love to see.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:52 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I cycled down that highway 10 years ago during the months of February and March. The State parks were not busy at all. Other than a few RV's and the occassional cyclist like myself, the parks were empty. It's just not the time of year people ar camping, I guess.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:27 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Northern CA Highway 1

This is our spot at Stillwater Cover Regional Park about 35 miles north of Bodega Bay. Not much here but quiet and a beautiful forested area similar to a rain forest to hike through. 24 spots and immaculate restrooms and showers. The rangers really keep this place nice to visit.
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2008, 12:49 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Here's a post that I made on Overnight RV Parking a good site for info when traveling all over the US.

It details a Boondocking site I found some time ago...It was still usable this spring when we used it...enjoy the sunrise and sunsets here...the sun setting behind the lighthouse at Pigeon Pt can be spectacular! This site is between Half Moon Bay and Santa Cruz.

Address:On SR 1 Pescadero, CA 94060
Distance:19.47 miles
Phone:N/A

GPS (37.183718, -122.385300)
(37 11.023080 N, 122 23.118000 W)
(37 11 1.38 N, 122 23 7.08 W)

Directions:On W side of SR 1, ~ 0.3 mi S of Pigeon Point Road and Pigeon Point Lighthouse, and A 0.4 mi N of intersection of SR 1 with the other end of Pigeon Point Rd

Last Update:Nov 11, 2007

Comments:RVer reports that Overnight RV Parking is allowed in this County Parking Area. No permission required, no indication of maximum length of stay. Located on bluffs overlooking Pacific Ocean. Short paved section leads to several dirt roads that lead directly to the Beach Bluffs. Patrolled by Sheriff.

Perhaps the only free parking area left in this area, so please protect it and please haul away your trash. Larger RV's may have problems with this area during rain, as dirt roads become slick.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:25 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Excellent! Thank you both. I'll put these on my list. But I'll have to get my Bambi door fixed before then. See post http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381...ide-43436.html for an explanation of that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by altamont View Post
This is our spot at Stillwater Cover Regional Park about 35 miles north of Bodega Bay. Not much here but quiet and a beautiful forested area similar to a rain forest to hike through. 24 spots and immaculate restrooms and showers. The rangers really keep this place nice to visit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
Here's a post that I made on Overnight RV Parking a good site for info when traveling all over the US.

It details a Boondocking site I found some time ago...It was still usable this spring when we used it...enjoy the sunrise and sunsets here...the sun setting behind the lighthouse at Pigeon Pt can be spectacular! This site is between Half Moon Bay and Santa Cruz.

My Earthship