Old 04-26-2011, 02:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I don't believe an Airstream is the right trailer for off road camping. The frames are not strong enough to take the beating and they don't have the ground clearance.

Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:51 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Don't Tell Wally Byam that..

Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
I don't believe an Airstream is the right trailer for off road camping. The frames are not strong enough to take the beating and they don't have the ground clearance.
Airstreams have been pulled all over the world for at least 50+ years, I remember looking at photos when I was a kid of some of the caravans in Africa and other places. They even had airstream mechanics and parts with them. If I am remembering clearly they even carried some segments with them for skin damage repair. The axles are probably better today than back then.

I have had my 31' in some fairly rough terrain a few times and have even done a river crossing of the Colorado River with it.
I have been on dirt passes in the late 60's in Colorado. and 60-70 mile trips on the logging roads from Wolf Creek pass back into Chama, New Mexico.

It has never had a problem except old age ailments.

Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Efficient 14" fan to keep cool!

One item that I believe is necessary to try to maintain comfort while boondocking without AC is an efficient fan that moves a lot of air. I considered the Endless Breeze 12v fan, but I did not have time to order it and ended up going to Lowes to see what they had. They did not have much in 12v, but I found a good and very efficient 14" 3 speed fan (by Utilitech) that even has an ocillation feature over about 20 degrees. On high speed the specs indicate 50 watts on high. My old 14" fan (Patton), for comparison uses 150 watts on high. I ran both of them using my 400watt inverter and the Utilitch used 60 watts while the Patton used 120 watts. So the new fan only used 1/2 the power of the old fan plus has the ocillation feature. It also moves a lot of air and is reasonably quiet. My logic is that this will keep us reasonable cool while we are sitting under the awning in the shade (plus keep the bugs away) or while sleeping at night. Oh, and the price was very reasonable ($55) and it appears to be well made. Photos of both fans are shown below. The item # is 0015531 and the model # is HV-14S180.

I used a 400 watt inverter, but I also tried a 100 watt inverter and the Utilitech fan started and ran fine on all 3 speeds.

My next test was to see how much battery power I used to run this fan for 24 hours. The initial voltage was 13.13 volts for my two golf cart batteries. After 24 hours of operating the fan on high, the voltage was down to 12.4 volts. Using my voltage table this is still only down to a charge state of about 75%.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2866.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	453.5 KB
ID:	135945   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2867.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	472.6 KB
ID:	135946  

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote